September 2024 Moms

Cell-free DNA screening

Has anyone had experience with or plan to get the cell-free DNA screening? I’m planning to get it next week (at 10w2d), and I’m curious how the results are given, and how you have used them or plan to.
PhD student - Wine Lover - Endurance Athlete - Adventure Seeker - Vizsla Mama - 

Me: 30 DH: 30 --- Married 4 years, 12/31/09 --- Baby due 6/7/15!

Re: Cell-free DNA screening

• hspghspg member
    With my last pregnancy, results were in my patient portal and then discussed with me by my dr at the next visit. It told me the sex and checked for a few chromosomal abnormalities. Luckily everything was normal with that baby, but I did appreciate that before taking my blood my dr had asked me “will the results of this test, if unfavorable, change if you decide to progress with this pregnancy?” And I really appreciated that step back, especially as someone who is not in favor of abortion. It caused me to really consider if I wanted to know, why I wanted to know, and what would I do if the results were not as expected. She had also said that if the cell free test showed anything abnormal, then the next option would be to do an amnio or other screening (I forget what it’s called).
  • We decided not to learn the sex of baby or any genetic testing. 

That being said I am doing the Buchal neck fold test around week 12 to 13 just to know.  It’s just ultrasound but I am 38 and if it shows signs of Downs, then I want to learn and prep 
  • Loading the player...
  • We also decided to do the non invasive genetic testing, had the blood work done last Tuesday (the first part at least) and will have the Nuchal ultrasound this coming Wednesday. Husband and I agreed that while it won’t change the trajectory of us having the baby, at least knowing the chances of any potential issues beforehand will give us time to process and prepare. We also wanted to know gender early so two birds with one stone scenario.
  • @wa6ss how did your NIPT and Nichal US testing go?? Which NIPT test did you get, and how long did it take to get results back?

• @wasatchbaby, the NIPT we just got back today and everything tested for was negative. We had the Nuchal yesterday and they said everything looked great there, the fluid on the back of the neck was perfect, nothing abnormal and they did an early anatomy scan and all was good, brain, heart and all the body parts were formed properly and in the right places. The blood work took about a week and 2 days to come back as we had it done last Tuesday and results today. I feel like it was really worth it to get this testing done since husband and I tend on the anxious side so getting that extra reassurance that everything looks great so far really has been helpful! 😊 please let us know how your results come back as well!
  • @wa6ss oh my gosh that’s so great to hear!! Yay for your family! 🤩 What a relief!

I just got bloodwork done today for the panorama NIPT test- really hoping to get results before next weekend. 

My husband deploys on March 3, and if results from the test are good, we would like to tell our daughter and close friends in person 🤞

• @wasatchbaby, the genetic testing was through Natera, I’m not sure what yours is through but fingers crossed you get the results quickly! That would be so nice for you to be able to let your daughter and friends know before your husband deploys! Hoping for all the best for you as well! 😁
  • I had the Natera Panorama screening as well.  I had my blood drawn Thursday morning 2/22 (at 10w 2d). I signed up for the Natera portal and got a notification that they received my sample Friday evening 2/23.  I got my results back last night around 7:50pm MST (Tuesday 2/27).  

I was refreshing the portal for results frequently- I have not received an email or text notification, or any contact from my OB.

I’m 39 (will be 40 at delivery) and baby is low-risk for everything 🥹.  When I got blood drawn, I also told them I did not want the sex to be tested or reported, so it remains a surprise 😁

• We just had our genetic testing done. For us, the results would not have changed our decision on the baby at all. If anything were to be abnormal, I would just want to know ahead of time to start planning how to navigate it. We surprisingly got our results back in 4 days. Haven’t looked at the gender results yet, but we are excited! 
  • @wasatchbaby, that is the best news on the low risk for everything, and so glad that you got your results back just as quick! Hopefully that is enough time for you and your husband to let those know you wanted to tell before he deploys!
  • @wa6ss thank you!!! Cheers to healthy babies!!! 😃