Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Help fixing bad sleep schedule

So, desperate parent here.

Baby was sleeping through the night in crib at 4 months old but since then hasn't slept through the night soundly, waking at least twice a night.

Sleep regression, teething, sickness and our own tiredness have all contributed to our baby having a poor sleep schedule.

Right now they are almost 9 months. He still has 3 naps a day which vary. Could be as short as 30 mins to 2 hours. He's waking at around 930am. 1st Nap around 12ish which can last for an hour minimum and as long as 2 hours. With wake windows then of 3.5 to 4 hours and 2 more naps of 1 to 1.5 hours. He then goes to bed late enough at 1230am to 1am and we can't get him back into a good schedule.

Every time we wake him early he catches up on sleep during naps during the day and then struggles to stay down at night.

Any advice on helping him sleep during the night and/or changing his initial wake up time permanently to around 7am would be very welcome.

He wakes up at night at least twice, sometimes cranky sometimes happy or rolling over.

He eats 3 meals a day (with varying results) and 4 bottles of about 6 to 9oz each feed.

Re: Help fixing bad sleep schedule

• We started using the sleep coach app. It’ll advise you and even notify you when it’s time for na/bedtime, based on your entries into the app. It’s been helpful!
  • Moving the bedtime by 15 minutes increments, or even 30 minute, seems right to me. It's going to take time. Idk if you're still struggling with it or not, but I figured I'd give my two cents because I know how sleep issues can drag on. 
    Try to keep the house darker and quieter after dinner, and especially after about 8. 8 o'clock is the bedtime that has worked for our family of three kids, but even 9 or 10 would be a huge improvement right now! 
    Sound machines can help too. Once you've used it for a bit it doesn't just drown out smaller noises that could wake them up, but turning it on triggers sleep for the baby because they're programmed that way after a little while. 
    I would just start reading up on sleep articles for babies. I've gotten a lot of tips from them without ever taking a course. 
    I've heard move the bedtime first. It's the first thing to work on. And sleep begets sleep. So if baby naps well they're actually more likely to sleep well that night, and if baby has a great night's sleep they're more likely to nap well. That's definitely proven true in our experience. 
  • Loading the player...
  • To clarify, I would start trying to keep the house darker and quieter like 30 minutes before your goal bedtime. Maybe that bedtime right now is 9 o'clock. And then just move the time you actually put him into his bed each night, and turn on the sound machine when he goes to bed. 
    I think if you do this and just stick with it it'll work. 
    Also maybe have black out curtains in the room they sleep in, etc.