Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Diaper rash

Hey Mamas! I have a 3 week old who just got his first diaper rash (it's been 2 days almost), I try soaking his bum in the bath with a couple table spoons of baking soda for 10 min each day and during diaper changes I apply zinc oxide diaper rash cream and sometimes petroleum jelly but I'm wondering if his cries are normal, he seems like he's in pain but a few min after the change he is fine again, but when he pees or his poop sits in it for more than 5 minutes he becomes fussy and cries again louder than usual, have you noticed the same with your babies? I'm worried he's in pain and there's something more I should be doing while we wait for his doctors appointment

Re: Diaper rash

• Options
    I hope you’re not having the problem anymore. I found some diaper rash creams can sting when you put them on, and then makes them feel better in a little. I’ve been using this Aquaphor baby ointment and that seems to be working well so far for me, without the initial stinging. 
  • Options
    Thank you! I think you might be right. The diaper rash went away in a few days of applying that cream but it did seem like it stung, but possibly due to the wipes too, I tried washing him instead of wiping and I had a less dramatic reaction. I'm going to look for this aquafor product though just in case for next time :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thought I would add to this thread that something we found really helpful was making 100% sure that everywhere was dry before applying aquafor baby. My husband got one of the fans that you see people using at like amusements and outdoor events (usb charging, has a guard on the blades so they can’t hit him!). It was a GAME CHANGER for our reoccurring diaper rash
  • Options
    edited January 24
    Mine at 4weeks old, had the worst diaper rash I encountered, it was super red and had blisters. It was almost 7days and we felt helpless, even if I change him every 3hours everyday even at night! Then I found out it was from the baby wipes. I tried 3 creams, but the last one, Desitin was the best + just the regular toilet paper worked! Just 2 days of stopping the wipes and applying the cream baby bum was clear. It was amazing! The magic phrase “just keep it dry!”. 
  • Options
    Also if you’re breastfeeding, breast milk does wonders