May 2023 Moms
Options

Worried about baby’s development

My baby is 12 weeks old and I have been super anxious and worried about her social development since day 1. I’m a teacher and so I have worked with many children on the spectrum. I don’t mean any disrespect to any parent with a child on the spectrum , but my post partum anxiety seems to be fixated on my daughter being autistic and it has generated an unbearable amount of fear in me.

From day one, I was always overly focused on how much eye contact she makes. I feel like although she looks at us, it’s not enough. When she wakes up, I’m not always the first thing she looks at the way that babies smile at their parents. Even when she looks at me, she’ll look away right after or look up. She’s often focused on my mouth and that worries me too.

I spent many nights crying over her social smiling. She has started to smile but it is so inconsistent and lasts seconds. There are times when she smiles so big l when I walk over to her crib to pick her up and other times when she won’t even look my way. Sometimes I am trying so hard to get a smile but she looks stares or looks away. It breaks my heart.

Sometimes she will turn to my voice but often doesn’t. She is obsessed with looking at the black map on our wall and if I hold her when sitting in that area, the map is what she will always prefer to look at.

My mind is convinced that something is wrong and I am utterly heart broken. I love my baby so much but it feels like I’m mourning the child I envisioned. I feel awful saying that but it is what I feel. That my baby will never grow up to laugh with me, cuddle, show affection, make friends.

I’ve tried therapy, medication. Nothing works. The only time I feel ok is when she’s doing “normal” baby things. She’ll be so interactive and smiley for a few days then go back to worrying me. Idk if this is a me problem or if what I’m seeing is actually there. I really need some advice :(

Re: Worried about baby’s development

• Options
    I'm not in your birth month group, but I hope I can be helpful. I'm also a teacher, but I'm an early intervention teacher, I specialize in ages birth to three. What you're describing is both NORMAL and EXPECTED at that age. What you're noticing with what she looks at is due to her vision. Babies are born with appropriately 20/200 vision and it gradually improves. The black on the wall is high contrast so easy to see. Your mouth is bigger and more animated than your eyes, again easy to see and there's sound associated with it, so it draws attention. Smiling is still a new skill, and reliably turning to sound comes from 6-9 months. Many of the things we associate with autism are typical development for babies. Soon she'll discover her hands, and you'll see her bringing her hands to her face and starting at them, even wiggling them in front of her eyes. Now, if a ten year old was doing that, we'd suspect autism. However, if a six month old has NOT yet done that, we're be concerned about her development. As teachers, we're so conditioned to find red flags for autism, unless you spend a LOT of time around young babies, you don't realize those "red flags" for older kids are actually developmental milestones for babies!

I start working with babies typically when they're a few weeks to a few months old. Some of them we know have a high chance of autism due to family history or their own condition, so I'm on the lookout for signs early. Personally, the earliest I can see any divergence for kids who ultimately end up with an ASD diagnosis is 6-9 months, and at that point it's usually sensory or motor. Around 11 months is the earliest I've felt it very likely that a child was ultimately going to get an ASD diagnosis (and they did). If you're seeing signs before 6 months, then it's probably not autism. Even if it's before a year, i wouldn't think it likely, though it depends on what specifically you're seeing. 

I hope this helps. I think in your case, PPA is the most likely diagnosis here, not ASD. I would continue to pursue therapy and maybe a different medication. And anytime you have concerns about your child, you can absolutely being it up to your doctor. Autism, however, isn't something they'll typically entertain looking at until at least 16 months (that's when they're old enough for the standard autism screening questionnaire, any younger and they'd "fail" because the red flags for older kids are typical development at that age)
  • Options
    I agree with the normal and expected at the 12 week mark. Also during that time my baby was like glued to only her left side! I tried with all my might to get her to look at things or do things on the right she wouldn’t move to my voice or anything. All on her own, baby is using both left and right side. Turns to my voice and everything it’s like it never happened. So just wait for baby but still try and keep doing what you’re doing with baby :) good luck mom
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are concerned about your daughter's social development, the best thing you can do is talk to her pediatrician. They can assess her development and help you rule out any underlying medical conditions. They can also provide you with resources and support.