Pregnant after a Loss

Pregnant after mc with no period between

Hi
We just had a miscarriage about a month ago at 6 weeks. I haven't even had a period yet, and my husband suggested I may be pregnant again. And behold, he was right.

I've heard many women do well with a pregnancy right after a loss. We had followed hCG to zero so I know the result is real. And the symptoms are real too. But my calculations put me at 3 weeks, far earlier than when I would typically get a positive result or symptoms. My Dr told me that babies concieved right after mc can be ahead or behind schedule, making it hard to calculate gestational age before the ultrasound. 

Does anyone have any tips on navigating this? We decided to wait a little bit before scheduling a Dr appointment and just taking the wait and see route. Any suggestions on how long we should wait?

Re: Pregnant after mc with no period between

• We are in the same place, though I didn’t get my hcg to zero so I’m not as confident as you. My level now is 123 at potentially 4 wks and having an ultrasound today to confirm whether there is a viable pregnancy or not.

If you’re feeling ok, maybe set yourself up for the regularly timed visits? If you become anxious, ask your Dr for a check-in. That way you have an appointment to look forward to but can access care earlier should you need it. Good luck, it’s nice to know we’re not alone. 
  • shels_o87shels_o87 member
    edited December 2023
    Same! We conceived about a week after my miscarriage ended, I kept waiting for my period to come and it didn’t happen. Then one night it dawned on me that I might be pregnant again. 

At the beginning I was scolded by nurses, ultrasound techs, etc. for not having waited till I had a period, but that is just because it’s harder for them to date the pregnancy. My GP and the fertility doctor were happy I was pregnant again. They did a dating ultrasound to predict my due date and it was spot on to my guess. 

Here I am, 20 weeks pregnant. No complications! (And people stop scolding you for not waiting after those initial calls to set up those first few appointments.)
  • Loading the player...
  • @shels_o87 thanks for sharing your story, it helps me feel some hope again. Yesterday my dr said she was pretty sure I’m not pregnant, and that tests pick up hcg as low as 100, so they can’t be trusted in my predicament. However, I’m still testing positive, and my hcg was 123 on the weekend. I assume it would be lower than 100 by now, almost a week later, but I tested positive again this morning. I know I should stop testing but it’s the only data I can go on until the weekend of Christmas when I’m supposed to do blood work again and I just can’t do that to myself. Am I making myself crazy? Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat with no info to go on for a long time. 
  • I know it’s a cool comfort, but ultimately if you are or are not pregnant is out of your control right now. What will be will be. Try to trust the process and your body. Focus on self care, don’t be too hard on yourself. The upcoming blood work will be more definitive. I’ll be thinking of you. ❤️
  • Thank you to everyone who responded and supported me. My pregnancy was suspected back in June. I'm now 37 weeks with a little boy and waiting for him to come any day now. 💙 
    I'm hoping everyone gets the same result. We tried for years and had multiple mc with no explanation. We are very excited for this very special blessing.