Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Stubborn Baby Weight

lilymhl1234lilymhl1234 member
edited June 2023 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
I was 155 lbs with an average BMI before LO. I got to 195 lbs during my pregnancy. LO was a big baby, born at 41 weeks. LO is now 7 months and I am 175 lbs. I had to buy all new clothes. I’m trying to lose the weight without changing my healthy diet too much as I am afraid it will impact my milk supply. I don’t mean to compare, but my coworker just came back from her 8 week maternity leave as skinny as ever. Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Stubborn Baby Weight

• Congrats on losing 20 lbs while being a mom, working, breastfeeding, and everything else that comes with life! That's a huge accomplishment. I know there's a saying that it takes 9 months to put it on so give yourself 9 months to take it off, but that's b.s. You aren't doing anything wrong. I know it sucks to buy all new clothes but at some point your body will catch up if you're eating healthy. With my first, I gained 18 lbs but I was the heaviest I'd been to start. Lost the baby weight plus more and gained everything back once he was older and I wasn't breastfeeding much. Then when he was about 2.5 I decided to count calories (healthy amount) and log steps. Lost 35 lbs over 8-9 months. Gained it all back with this baby. He's almost 8 months now and I'm trying not to worry about the very slow loss on the scale. I figure if I did it once, I can do it again- when I'm not so tired and nursing/pumping constantly. I also had a coworker who couldn't lose baby weight while she was nursing. Once her baby weaned, the weight melted off. Every body works differently.
  • Thank you. You made me feel way better. What a journey! This is my first and I am still exclusively pumping every two hours to keep up with her milk consumption. I’m going to focus on new mom life and relax a little about the weight.