3rd Trimester

Baby Name Spelling

Hi!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I’m having a name-spelling discrepancy. 

My husband and I are set on the name Jamie for a boy. He is Hispanic, and wanted to incorporate a name of Spanish origin. 

We’ve been looking at the name spelled “Jaime” (which is Spanish)— my husband and I plan to pronounce the name “Jay-mee” despite the Spanish pronunciation being “Hi-may.” His parents, who are Spanish speaking, may pronounce it Hi-May, and we’re totally okay with that since it’ll be easier for them to say.

I feel like by doing this we’re going to set our kid up for a lifelong of mispronunciation (which is NOT fun, as I have an oddly spelled name that gets screwed up a lot).

But, I know my husband will probably be disappointed if we go with the anglo spelling “Jamie.”

Anyone have suggestions? 

Re: Baby Name Spelling

• Either spelling is fine. I’ve seen both ways plenty. He will probably have to spell it for people no matter which you choose. 
  • swoffswoff member
    I think most people in the states would pronounce Jamie and Jaime the same way, but you may have a different experience if you live in a state with a significant Spanish population, especially if the last name is Hispanic
  • Loading the player...
  • swoff said:
    I think most people in the states would pronounce Jamie and Jaime the same way, but you may have a different experience if you live in a state with a significant Spanish population, especially if the last name is Hispanic
    We’re a Lopez family so definitely some Hispanic inclination there, lol!
  • I've seen it spelled both ways enough that I couldn't tell you which is the oddly spelled one. Unless you live in a  Spanish speaking community, most people will pronounce then both the same. As a teacher who used to work in California, if I saw a Jaime Lopez, is probably provide it both ways and ask which the student preferred.
  • Either way is fine,  most people will pronounce it the English way.  If his grandparents will say the Spanish way, it won't be unfamiliar to him and he can either correct it or maybe he will want it said the Spanish way.  

• Either way is fine,  most people will pronounce it the English way.  If his grandparents will say the Spanish way, it won't be unfamiliar to him and he can either correct it or maybe he will want it said the Spanish way.  

That’s a great point, I guess I haven’t really considered that my child will have their own preferences about it!