3rd Trimester
Options

Group B Strep allergic to penicillin

Hey!
did anyone have group b strep who is also allergic to penicillin? If so, how did the alternative antibiotics work? 

I’m really scared as I’m allergic and being tested for GBS in three weeks. 

Re: Group B Strep allergic to penicillin

• Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    Not allergic, but your doctor should have an alternate antibiotic. You’re not the first person with a penicillin allergy to have GBS, which you haven’t even tested positive for yet. This would be a good question to ask your doc and make sure it’s noted in your chart because you may need antibiotics in the hospital even without being GBS+. I needed them to prevent infection after some retained placenta. Idk if it tends to be genetic, but they may need to know for baby too.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Good point! Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also MOST patients with penicillin allergy aren’t truly allergic (just keep in mind for the future). They will not challenge this while you are pregnant, however. 

They can use ancef (cefazolin) which is tremendously low risk and well tolerated. I work in infectious diseases and this is what we recommend. Don’t worry. You have an EASY option, if you even are positive. 
  • Options
    They will have different antibiotics to use. Just make sure to relay it again when getting hooked up to the IV if you do have it. Mistakes happen. 
    I had it with one. Just remember that when you go into labor if you do have it to get there sooner rather than later. My longest stay was because I labored at home and didn't get the IV done in time before baby came. They make you stay to monitor baby after. 
    That was the only difference in the one I had group B strep compared to my other births.