3rd Trimester
Options

Advice Please

So I am currently in the middle of a move cross-country. At 36.5 weeks I started having early labor symptoms so we stopped in with my in laws. That was the last time I saw an OB because of weirdness with my insurance. I am now 39 weeks and still cant get everything I need to go to an OB. Should I just go in to labor and delivery to check and make sure everything is okay?

Re: Advice Please

• Options
    00kim0000kim00 member
    What do you need to get to see an OB that you don't have? I'm not sure L&D would just check you out if you're not experiencing any issues or labor. I'd try calling your previous doctor and/or the local L&D for advice.
  • Options
    kaylspkaylsp Newbie
    I have to have a referral from a primary care physician in the area. I called my insurance to have one assigned to me and they havent gotten back to me yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Call again.And keep calm)
  • Options
    If insurance is being finicky just go on in. Many will back pay if it's clerical. Tell them to bill you after your stay. They will bother you like crazy during your stay, but you and baby will be in good hands. A hospital cannot turn you away when in labor. A birthing clinic may if you aren't in their practice. 
    I'd also start listening to meditation just to help calm your nerves as it's already stressful without the added anxiousness. Congratulations! Baby will be here soon! 
  • Options
    00kim0000kim00 member
    kaylsp said:
    I have to have a referral from a primary care physician in the area. I called my insurance to have one assigned to me and they havent gotten back to me yet.
    So you don't have a PCP yet, or your PCP's referral hasn't gone through yet? If you need a PCP, it would probably speed up the process if you did legwork yourself. Search for an in-network PCP you're interested in (your insurance website usually has a list), call their office, ask if they are taking new patients and confirm that take your insurance. While you have them on the phone, you may even be able to make an appointment. Next, call your insurance and tell them who you found and ask them to put that doctor as your PCP.

If you have a PCP but are waiting for the OB referral, ask your PCP where they referred you to, call that practice and confirm they got the referral and make the appointment, then call your insurance company with the details so you're sure it's covered.

At 39 weeks, I wouldn't wait for the insurance company to deal with this, it could take them weeks or months. You need to be proactive.

AND, make sure you're doing your kick counts. If anything is off or you think you're going into labor, go to L&D. 
  • Options
    kaylspkaylsp Newbie
    So unfortunately with the way my insurance works they have to assign the PCP. The last one they assigned didnt have any availability so I had to start the whole process again. They have assigned me a new one as of today but unfortunately it takes 2 days for the system to update allowing me to contact them.
  • Options
    kaylspkaylsp Newbie
    Luckily my insurance will cover labor and delivery as emergency care and it is automatically covered, its just the process of seeking regular care that is a serious struggle.
  • Options
    I would call and harass the insurance company constantly until this is resolved. Escalate the complaint that this is not being dealt with in a timely manner. Threaten them that you need to be routinely checked for hypertension/pre-e, leakage of fluid, etc. Have you had GBS swab yet? There are so many things done toward the end that they are delaying. Not to mention you may need induction if not for immediate concerns, but if you go too far overdue. 

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. The state of health care in this country is atrocious. As others stated, go to L&D immediately if any active labor signs, decreased movement, leakage of fluid, or any pre-e signs (visual changes, severe headache), or ANY thing that seems concerning/off. 
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    Are you by chance on Tricare Prime? The move and insurance issues make me think that. If you track down a pcp that is accepting patients you should be able to tell them to assign you there if they don’t have a military pcp for you. If not, hang up and call back to try a new rep. Many of the companies that run Tricare have horrible customer service.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::