3rd Trimester
Options

20 lb Weight Gain Total - is this enough?

I’m 5’5 
Pre-pregnancy weight was 136 lbs

Looks like I might only gain 20 lbs with my pregnancy (this is my first). 

Is this ok or could this potentially harm my baby? I’m definitely eating enough calories, and healthy ones at that! I also give in to my cravings a lot lol 

I walk about 45 minutes per day. 

I know most sources say to gain 25-35 lbs but not sure how crucial that really is. 

Re: 20 lb Weight Gain Total - is this enough?

• Options
    I asked the same question of my doctor and she assured me that they were monitoring the baby too, and as long as the baby is growing all is well. I’ve only gained about 20 pounds as well.
  • Options
    I'm almost 32 weeks and have only gained about 13lbs so far.  My OB has never mentioned concern for my weight gain and really has only ever said that baby is measuring where she should be. I think weight gain is more dependent on the individual person and not totally a reflection of what sources say. If your ob isn't worried then I think you'll be ok :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    This is something that needs to be asked of your doctor who knows your personal health history. As a rule of thumb, baby takes what it needs and more often that leaves mom deficient more often than the baby, but making sure that you are taking your prenatals will ensure baby has what they need.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Keep in mind that the last weeks baby gains about a lb a week. So you will gain more. I never look at the scale when pregnant. If there is an issue then it would be addressed by the provider. Eat healthy and exercise. That's about all you can do. I also don't listen to the baby size unless they are really worried. US are not super super accurate when dealing with size. My babies are born in the 80% and measure at 20% when in womb. Every time. Unless it's addressed try not to worry.