November 2023 Moms
Options

High Risk Mommas!

Hello ladies, 

I thought it would be nice to have a separate discussion for High Risk Mommas to share their experiences, rants, raves and fears separately from the otherwise low risk mommas. 

About Me:
I am high risk. I am 8w6d and was deemed high risk at my initial prenatal appointment Friday. I have hypertension, I vape (trying to cut down & quit), Obesity and advanced maternal age. My due date is my 35th birthday on 11/29. Starting around 24w (I think she said - so much information in such a short window), I’ll have monthly ultrasounds, and then weekly NSTs and likely be induced at 38w. I have to visit Perinatal for scans and bloodwork around 12w. 

I hope to meet some other HRMs! ❤️❤️

Re: High Risk Mommas!

• Options
    Hi! Another high risk mom here. I've been high risk for my 3 viable pregnancies. My first two pregnancies were with twins. In addition, I'm overweight and a diabetic. Towards the end of my pregnancies I've had high blood pressure as well. While I'm pregnant with a singleton this time, I just turned 40. So apparently I'm old on top of it all. 

I'm seeing the same MFM this time as I did with my last set of twins and am guaranteed to have a c-section. The positive of being high risk, in my opinion, is definitely the extra ultrasounds. To me that equals extra reassurance that the Little Bean is doing all right in there. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    This is my 3rd pregnancy and all have been high risk. Mainly because I have chronic hypertension. My first pregnancy my due date was after my 35th birthday, so I was considered AMA (although DD ended up being born the day before my birthday so I like to think I got in just under the wire). I’m 39 this go-round. I had preeclampsia with both of my previous pregnancies and was admitted to the hospital on bed rest for a few weeks before scheduled C-section at 37 weeks both times. I’m also overweight but honestly no one’s ever said anything about that. The ama gets the nipt test covered on insurance, but I’ve learned truly the main reason I’m high risk/biggest concern is the hypertension. TW: 
    Also my last pregnancy ended in stillbirth due to an umbilical cord accident. I’m not sure if that automatically makes me high risk, but it certainly doesn’t help with the other things.

But I’ve always seen a high risk ob/gyn, even before getting pregnant, so she’s still able to handle my case. The plus side of being high risk is extra checks and care, and especially after last time, I kept the same team, so I know they’re maybe a bit more invested, and I have no issue calling for extra checks if I’m freaking out about something. Also this is an ivf pregnancy, which adds some risk, but between the regular ivf protocol and a few times of bleeding, I’ve already had 5 ultrasounds and I’m 11 weeks tomorrow. (Everything looks great as of this morning). That’s crazy, this point in previous pregnancies I would have had one AT MOST. So…I don’t mind the high risk so much, but at the same time it’s all I know. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven’t been on the community portion of the app in a while because life just got crazy 🤷🏻‍♀️ I’m considered a high risk mama. I’m 14w5d today. I’m overweight, a “current” / former smoker, and my blood pressure has been a little high each time I go to an appt (130-135/60). I’m 28 and this is my first pregnancy. 

My biggest fear right now is one of my own doing. I ordered a fetal Doppler since my friend who is 3 weeks ahead of me uses one and loves it. I got it today and have been attempting to find baby’s heartbeat all afternoon. I can’t seem to find it. I know being overweight makes that harder to do, but I’m also creating anxiety that I don’t need. Anyone ever experience this before? Have advice? I go in for my 16 week appt next week. They did tell me there will not be an ultrasound at that appt. 
  • Options
    @hihelloitsemily oh poor thing! I know that must feel awful not hearing a heartbeat. You have to know position of baby to be able to hear it! They may not do an ultrasound, but fetal Doppler should be part of every appointment from about 12 weeks on through! My Ob specifically told me not to get an at home Doppler because it causes more stress and anxiety than necessary. 

Stay positive momma!! 
  • Options
    @hihelloitsemily I second what @medicmomma6115 said - those at home dopplers aren't generally recommended for this reason. It can be hard to find the heartbeat and they don't work as well as the ones your OB will use. If you heard the heartbeat at an appointment before, there's a strong likelihood your little one is doing fine, all comfy cozy in there. <3 Waiting between appointments is SO HARD but it's not worth the stress of thinking something is wrong when it probably isn't! Hang in there, big hugs!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @medicmomma6115 @mrsmtothek thank you for the support! I’m working on being intentional. I don’t want to spend my entire pregnancy worried, but rather enjoying it! 
  • Options
    15w on the dot with no 3, 30yo and high risk due to big brother (no 2) having congenital heart defect (TOF). Had my first high risk appointment at 9 weeks which felt so much earlier than everyone else in the waiting room that day 😝

We will have all our ultrasounds with the high risk doc with only one additional being the fetal echocardiogram to check for a heart defect in little sister. Hoping for the best. My last two pregnancies were uneventful but big brothers defect wasn’t found till after birth (heart murmur) and required open heart surgery. I also feel like we have seen the worst of it so I am releasing all the stress to the universe.
  • Options
    I am rh- sensitized and 13w2d pregnant. 3rd pregnancy 2 angel babies FTM. I am waiting on blood test to determine next steps. Mmc last Nov at 12w was given rhogam shot after d&c but was too late as I had bleeding during the pregnancy and was denied rhogam shot which led to mmc and antibodies being formed. So worried my little man isn’t gonna make it.
  • Options
    I don't have the official label of high risk yet (please delete if I don't meet the requirements for this thread), but I will be monitored a bit more this time. This is baby #4 and I have had two preterm babies; one at 35wks and one at 33 wks, in that order. My chances of this baby being early are pretty decent. I will have my cervix measured at 16wks, 20wks, and 24wks. Unfortunately the usual treatment of progesterone has been updated as of April 6th to not-recommended due to it not preventing preterm labor. The only time it is recommended is for a short cervix, hence the ultrasounds. The other treatments include sewing the cervix shut and bed rest. 
    My first measurement will be next Thursday at 15wks6days. I am also doing my 1hr glucose test because I had GD with my third (which I learned was potentially caused by the progesterone shots I was taking).
    Good luck to all you HR mommas. I look forward to following along and being supportive in your journeys. ❤️❤️