3rd Trimester
Options

Paying hospital before giving birth?

brlnabrlna member
edited April 2023 in 3rd Trimester
FTM here and I was surprise to get a call from my hospital that I pre-registered in and was informed that I had to pay my co-pay for delivering my baby/stay before my due date. Has anyone experienced this before? I don’t know if this is normal or just our hospital. Thanks! 

Re: Paying hospital before giving birth?

• Options
    It depends on the hospital. The first hospital I went to for prenatal care was going to charge the global fee which was strongly encouraged to be paid before he was even due. I wouldn’t have been able to afford it upfront considering it was thousands.
    then we moved, and the next hospital didn’t run like that. I paid nothing until they billed my insurance and then I owed whatever insurance didn’t cover. And I was able to set up a payment plan for an amount that was more reasonable. I think they do the global fee to ensure that they get some money ahead of time since I guarantee a huge percentage of people either take forever to pay or don’t pay at all after the baby is born. 
  • Options
    This is what happens in the US when people have no or shifty insurance- they don't pay and the honest people get stuck with the consequences....also thanks to companies going to high deductibles- people can't afford it. So things are asked of ahead of time now.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The ob/gyn office I started my pregnancy at does this, they bill in 2-3 installments during the pregnancy that covers the global fee, at least for the ob part. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another fee from the hospital after the birth since they wouldn't know about c-section, epidural, etc until after. I switched providers halfway through, so I don't know for sure how it all works
  • Options
    brlnabrlna member
    Okay that makes sense. The billing (I assume) said everything needs to be paid before I get in or the day of or “we won’t let you leave until it’s paid”
    & they only tell me this 4 weeks before my due date so I was shocked that they told me this late.  
    They weren’t even clear about how much I would need to pay if I had an emergency c-section or anything. Not even my OB mentioned anything about this so it’s frustrating. :( appreciate everyone’s input though! 
  • Options
    That’s crazy. They had me speak to the financial lady at my second appt. Apparently I was supposed to see her at my first but the didn’t tell me. So I had months notice. I would not have my baby there if you have a choice. They can’t expect everyone who hAs a baby would be able to afford that all at once. 
  • Options
    I've done it all different ways with each birth. Some places require the co pay prior, most don't in my experience. 
    When I paid out of pocket because it was less than with the insurance we had... crazy how that works, they harassed me the entire stay because they wanted paid. I said when the bill is received I'll make payment. They got paid the week we got the bill, but it was super frustrating while staying at the hospital being bothered about the cost in-between nurses popping in, visitors, and just trying to rest and recover. Luckily I was gone in a day. 

The more you get done before the more they will leave you alone while you're there. Birthing is after all a very lucrative business.