September 2023 Moms
Options

NIPT

Hi all! I’m wondering what your thoughts or plans are for NIPT testing? My doctor mentioned we can do it in three weeks at my next appointment. I am 29, there are no genetic risk factors that run in my family I’m aware of. Would it still be a good idea? I would rather this than an amniocentesis later. My doctor made it sound like it would be NIPT or that. 

Re: NIPT

• Options
    Definitely worth it. Im an “information is power” person. We do have a questions thread where this could be asked as well and we discourage one-off posts to keep the board organized. If you haven’t yet as well, introduce yourself in the introductions thread. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have done it both pregnancies now and it’s 100% worth it. 
  • Options
    @momhopeful29 it's often NT scan OR NIPT with some practices. and amnio would typically be offered if something came back indicating a risk on NT/NIPT. 
  • Options
    100% agree with @runningyogimama and am getting mine on monday. The AFP for NT defects is at 16 weeks i believe if you plan to do the NIPT. You only get amnio if you are at elevated risk, as others said. 
  • Options
    I’m sorry if this is a silly question but this is my first pregnancy (12 weeks!) and I’m wondering if this test hurts at all and what exactly the test process is? Is it just a blood test? 
  • Options
    @lexyjw Yes, it’s just a normal blood draw! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Warning for anyone doing the Natera Panorama NIPT: We got our results back this week the doctor called and said the baby was low risk and asked how we wanted to find out gender so we asked for an envelope so my husband and I could do it privately with a photographer. Opened it last night and it said we were expecting identical twin girls. Neither ultrasound at 7 or 12 weeks showed that so we were in shock. After speaking with my doctors office today they told me there’s a known glitch in the test’s system that automatically puts twins even when it’s not and that our ultrasound doesn’t show more than 1 baby. Yes it’s totally on our doctors office to have not noticed our papers said that before releasing them to us considering they knew it was an issue but just a warning if your office offers that test! Thankful we have a healthy baby girl on the way, but it was an emotional rollercoaster the last 24 hours and I’m a bit traumatized 
  • Options
    @daniellesubler Omg, what in the world?! That should have been caught at so many levels, starting with Natera. Craziness. 
  • Options
    @cammie0526 right! Every step of the way it’s been excuses so that’s disappointing but it is what it is at this point! I pray it doesn’t happen again to someone else 
  • Options
    songsboutjanesongsboutjane member
    edited March 2023
  • Options
    @songsboutjane can you elaborate? Unless I missed something the NT nor NIPT determined if you are a carrier. You’d need to do a carrier screening for that.