Weekly check in January 23

EDD / Weeks + Days: 

Baby is the size of a(n):

Team blue/pink/green:

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling?: 

Rants/Raves: 

Questions:

GTKY: is there anything you plan to be very intentional about as a new parent, or anything you plan to do differently this time around if this isn't your first?

Re: Weekly check in January 23

• seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited January 2023

EDD / Weeks + Days: February 21 (36 tomorrow)

Baby is the size of a(n): pineapple turning papaya 

Team blue/pink/green:pink

Upcoming Appointments: I have my appointment with my gut health doctor today and next week my midwife is coming for the home visit. 

How are you feeling?: emotional. I had a crazy week and freaked out for the stupidest reasons (like having a drone caught in my hair). It's hard to walk and I'm tired and slow.

Rants/Raves: I've been a little overwhelmed by people (or maybe myself) expecting me to do the things I normally do. I'm normally totally willing to be there for people who struggle with mental illness, addiction, etc but it's really difficult when I'm this pregnant. And I'm also considering leaving my doctor and just doing things on my own as far as my health issues. She has me on supplements that I found out aren't even safe in pregnancy and my plan does not seem individualized at all. It's like this place isn't considering our family size, my pregnancy, our income. It's a long story and I'm pretty stressed out about the appointment today.  My husband is taking me because I have a hard time driving that far. On a positive note, we're almost ready for this baby! I ran into a random sweet old lady at a funeral and she told me my baby was coming early because she looks low. 😂

Questions: anyone think that this is their big week?

GTKY: is there anything you plan to be very intentional about as a new parent, or anything you plan to do differently this time around if this isn't your first?

I want to wear my baby a lot more. With my last 4 babies, there was always 1 or several other small children to tend to and with my first, I didn't think of it. Now with my youngest nearly 5, I can be more hands off with the older kids. They are old enough to help each other and themselves. My oldest (almost 12) is bigger than me!! This is the first time I feel I have the freedom to have a little one attached to me and quite possibly my last chance to bask in a newborn's sunshine.

• Loading the player...
  • @seeds_of_joy I do feel like this is my week! And I’m really hoping it is because I’m so over it haha 
  • @amccurls I think it's your week too! I'll take next week. 😆
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 2/16, 36+4

Baby is the size of a(n): papaya

Team blue/pink/green: 💙

Upcoming Appointments: BPP tomorrow and appointment with OB Wednesday

How are you feeling?: I go back and forth with wanting this baby out now (or soon) to being at peace with even going past my due date. Baby has a dance party at around 10 pm or midnight, which includes head-butting my cervix! Ah!

Rants/Raves: natm

Questions: natm

Not stressing about every little thing and trusting others to take care of my baby so I can get rest.

• EDD / Weeks + Days: 37! 

Baby is the size of a(n): romaine lettuce? Their comparisons make me laugh. 

Team blue/pink/green: 💙

Upcoming Appointments: I had OB, NST, & BPP today and I’ll do it all again next Monday, which should be my last appts before his arrival!! 

How are you feeling?: feeling good overall. We relocated yesterday to where our son will receive his care so it’s been a bit of an emotional weekend. My platelets are in the 90s so now I’m being monitored for that too. My platelets generally run low and last pregnancy did the same thing to me. I just am hopeful they’ll maintain and I won’t need any interventions. I feel better that we are by the hospital now though (5min vs 1.5+hours) just in case he decides to make his entrance early. 

Rants/Raves: I am not looking forward to an induction in 2 weeks but know it’s what’s best for our little buddy. But the bright side is an induction means that unless he comes early, I do know how close I am to meeting his sweet self 🥰  The team at the hospital I’m giving birth at is awesome and I do feel super supported and they have been very kind in explaining everything and respecting my “no” when needed. 

Questions: none currently 

This time around is totally different but I’m thankful to know that in advance and be able to process. Last time I was not good about asking for help but this time we will be surrounded by an incredible team who I will need to lean on in order for our son to get the best possible care. It seems like quite a few of us know we need to ask for help 💜 

• @seeds_of_joy I am so sorry you are going through all of that.  It's like dominos.  That happened to me a couple weeks ago.  One thing triggers the emotions and then all these little things pile on and you can't stop the emotions from coming.  Hopefully this week is better and you get the proper care you need.

@ttc3y I am always blown away by your creativity!

EDD / Weeks + Days: 35+3

Baby is the size of a(n): Pineapple or a moderately successful game of Jenga...whatever that means lol

Team blue/pink/green: Pink

Upcoming Appointments: Next Monday

How are you feeling?: Tired.  Last night my heartburn wouldn't quit and the medication was not helping.  Every time I got close to falling asleep it would hit me so bad I thought I was going to throw up.

Rants/Raves: Rave - We bought a new (used) car this weekend.  My husband's truck is so beat up we needed something.  It's a 2 seater with no AC (we live in AZ).  He lost the key to turn off the passenger air bag so he couldn't even have the car seat in there if fixed the AC.  And I hate driving it so that wouldn't work.  But thankfully we found something we could afford and picked it up on Friday. 

Questions: None

Standing up for myself.  I am very laid back and I'm also a people pleaser.  In most situations I would rather be upset or disappointed for a little bit rather than deal with the aftermath because I know I will get over quickly, where as the other person in the situation would not.  If it is something that involves my daughter, I am going to try to stand up more and not worry about the other person.  Just because I am ok and get over things quickly, I don't want my daughter to feel/think she has to do the same or be the same way if she's not.  Hope that makes sense.

• @seeds_of_joy, I’m not sure if I think this is my week, or if I’m just really wishing it to be my week! I’ve had symptoms—1cm dilation, Braxton Hicks, lost mucus plug, lower back pain, loose stool, and the baby’s head is super low. Does dreaming about labor count?! 😅

@itsjess627, I’m also not looking forward to my scheduled induction, but also don’t want to go the full 40 weeks. Here’s hoping that they come earlier than our induction dates. 🤞

EDD / Weeks + Days: 37+ 5 / EDD Feb 8 / Induction scheduled on Feb 1

Baby is the size of a(n): Romaine lettuce 

Team blue/pink/green: Blue 💙

Upcoming Appointments: Friday for an NST, cervical check, and membrane sweep

How are you feeling?: Tired, severe pelvic pain, difficulty walking, cramping is getting a little stronger today. I’m doing what I can to get this baby out—exercise ball, walking up and down stairs, spicy foods, sex! 

Rants/Raves: Rant—I’m just trying to finish up work as my maternity leave starts on Thursday, but my next two work days are going to be intense. Rave—I found out last week that I get 32 weeks of maternity leave, not 26 weeks! I’m happy to be working for a global company.

Questions: Natm

I want to make sure that I integrate my child into my life and hobbies vs changing myself because of a baby. I’ve seen many whose lives revolve around their children, and I waited so long to even consider having a child because I never wanted to lose myself. I’m still fearful of this, but have received good advice that you can still do all of the same things, but it’s just different as you integrate a child into those things.

I’m also very hard on myself at times and say negative things. It’s important to me that I stop this so that my child doesn’t pick up on it or create a habit of being negative toward himself.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 4/38+2

Baby is the size of a(n): winter melon

Team blue/pink/green: blue 💙

Upcoming Appointments: Tomorrow, just a regular check in with the midwife

How are you feeling?: Increasingly impatient, although I know there’s a good chance we’ve still got a few weeks to wait. And I had a pretty Braxton-Hicks heavy weekend with some increased pelvic pressure, like it’s definitely starting to ramp up a bit, so maybe we’ll get lucky and it won’t be so long.

Rants/Raves: We’re officially as ready as we’re going to be! We’ve got bags packed, clothes and linens washed, the last picture hung in the nursery, the big house projects finished. Which feels good, but only fuels my impatience with the wait 😂.

GTKY: is there anything you plan to be very intentional about as a new parent, or anything you plan to do differently this time around if this isn't your first? Asking for help. We’re hours away from our families, and while my husband gets 2 weeks off, that’s not a lot. We have good friends and neighbors who have offered their support and who I know would love to help, I just need to remember that and to be willing to be vulnerable and proactive about asking for help when I need it. 

• @karbaud 32 weeks!?! That’s incredible! 
  • @amccurls, yes, we are extremely lucky. My company has a lot of employees in Europe and other regions, which I assume is why we get so much time off. It’s definitely not a US standard. My husband works for a startup company, and we were surprised to hear that he gets 12 weeks off, which is pretty uncommon for paternity leave in the US. It’s all fully paid time off too. I’ve been working at my company for 13+ years. It will be nice to have a long break. But it won’t be without different challenges. 😅
  • @ttc3y my appointment went much better than I thought. She did add 2 more supplements but I understand what she's doing. My gut health has improved mostly but I think pregnancy made a few things worse. She wasn't on my case about me eating some dairy like I thought she would be but she wants me to watch my carbs now. So the diet is still a stressful thing but at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Your mobile is soooo awesome. I think I might show my 11 year old. He's very skilled artistically and can even make mini oragami. 
  • @karbaud I think this is your week too! I love your intentionality plans. I don't think I have thought of either of those  things before children. I think you will naturally integrate your gifts, hobbies,  and talents into your motherhood and find some new ones. Not being negative is a lifelong battle for me too but I think it's awesome that you want to get on top of it before a baby enters.
  • I’m definitely in the “just hoping it’s my week” haha 
    but that’s awesome! @karbaud my husband gets 1 week, including the hospital time. Literally not enough time to even get acclimated. Thankfully I’ll have 6 months since I’m not teaching right now. 
  • @amccurls that's horrible. My husband's job was like that with our first couple of children. He had to take vacation mixed with unpaid time off to get a month off. We were dirt poor too. Now he gets 6 weeks paid.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 5, 38+1

Baby is the size of a(n): winter melon

Team blue/pink/green: blue 💙

Upcoming Coming Appointments: Had one today, next one is following Monday

How are you feeling?: So ready to be done, major heartburn, pelvic pressure, can’t get comfortable or sleep through the night, constantly wondering if I peed myself, just discharge, or if my water broke 😂

Rants/ Raves: Got told my blood pressure was high at today’s appointment and they mentioned might be preclampsia so of course I start panicking waiting for my results to come back, got them back but had to call to ask if everything was okay (it was🥰).

GTKY: is there anything you plan to be very intentional about as a new parent, or anything you plan to do differently this time around if this isn't your first? I’m a first time mom so just wanting to soak in every moment of all these new experiences with my baby💙

• @amccurls, one week is not enough time. That’s so sad. I’m glad you get 6 months though!
  • @karbaud I’m so jealous. I’m going to be lucky to get 8 weeks and my husband gets zero because he’s contract and gets no paid time off. He works from home though and his work is flexible so he’ll be around if I need him. 

As for me I’ll check in tomorrow but everyone send me positive vibes tomorrow because I’m doing the ECV. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • @karbaud that’s such a good surprise! Both for your time off and your husband’s! Mine gets 4 weeks total, not including hospital time, but we’re trying to save 2 weeks for after my maternity leave is over to delay daycare a bit longer and make it a little easier for me to transition back to work. Which means only 2 weeks off initially, but we feel lucky to have that.

@angbaby83 good luck!!! 🤞🤞🤞
  • @angbaby83 Wishing you a successful ECV  procedure and outcome. May your baby turn head down and stay there!!! 🤞❤️🤞❤️🤞
  • @angbaby83 wishing you and your baby all the best for tomorrow!! 🤞 
  • @angbaby83 good luck today! 
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 37 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): honey dew melon

Team blue/pink/green: green

Upcoming Appointments: next Monday

How are you feeling?: miserable. 

Rants/Raves: well the version didn’t work. 😫 so c section will be scheduled. I’m most disappointed that I have to wait longer to see this baby and be uncomfortable but trying to just be grateful. Baby is doing good and that’s what matters. 

Questions: nope

GTKY: is there anything you plan to be very intentional about as a new parent, or anything you plan to do differently this time around if this isn't your first? I would say try not get so stressed out and be so anxious but I know myself. I think I just want to try to not get lost in that and find joy and gratitude where I can. 

• @angbaby83 I'm sorry that it didn't work out!! Maybe your baby will do a miraculous independent flip. But even if not, I'm glad they're doing well in their nice little wrong side up position. ❤️
  • @angbaby83 I’m sorry, that sucks. It sounds like he’s pretty comfy in there, though, and just wants to lounge around. Hopefully they’ll schedule you for early 39 weeks and you can meet him soon - though the weeks definitely drag at this point!
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 37W today

Baby is the size of a(n): honeydew melon or romaine lettuce?

Team blue/pink/green: blue

Upcoming Appointments: NST today and NST/weekly checkin on Friday

How are you feeling?: tired and sore, strained muscles and sore shoulders, especially when trying to find some comfortable way to sleep at night. Swinging between sickness and super hunger, too. This guy is moving a LOT, too! I’m having to pee soooo much. Annoying!

Rants/Raves: Raves- I’ve had a few great interviews this week, hoping something works out! Also, my MIL and my mom have both scheduled some time to come down to be with us to help take care of our girls when this little guy makes his entrance. 

I’m going to try harder to work on the pumping this time. Last couple of births, pumping just hasn’t worked out, and I hope to maybe try a few other techniques or products to assist this time.

• EDD / Weeks + Days: 

Feb 8 - 37 + 6

Baby is the size of a(n):

Romaine Lettuce 🥬

Team blue/pink/green:

💙

Upcoming Appointments: 

Friday - next weekly check in!

How are you feeling?: 

So far so good, I’ve been very lucky and haven’t been feeling uncomfortable as of yet. Definitely get tired a lot faster tho. 

Rants/Raves: 

I currently have to go to a maternity clinic as my doctor retired just before I got pregnant and there are no local doctors taking patients at this time. 

I potentially see a different doctor each appt depending on who is on shift when I am booked. I had my first appointment with a new doctor that I have not met previously last Friday.

Long story short I was diagnosed previously with GD but am diet controlled and controlled it so well they stopped tracking me as my “numbers were immaculate” this new doctor mentioned that it is recommended to be induced at 40wks when you have GD as the risk for a bigger baby is higher. 

My only problem with this is that 1) the first doctor that I talked to post GD diagnosis told me this used to be a recommendation & no longer is & 2) it hasn’t been brought up until this appointment and every appointment leading up to this has been that he is right on track & I was also told the week prior that I was looking at probably a 7.5-8lb baby for birth which from what I can find is a pretty average weight. Long story short I was asking for pros and cons of inductions and trying to get some sort of information. I believe she wanted me to come to the decision myself and not influence me to one side, which I’m grateful for to a degree but I couldn’t get anything out of her besides being told it’s my decision, I can say no and to do some research on it myself but I have to decide if I want to be induced or not by my next appointment which is this upcoming Friday.

Questions:

Thoughts on inductions? I’m flip flopping like crazy.

GTKY: A genie grants you the ability to have infinite amounts of one item. What is it?: 

I’m waaay to indecisive for this kind of question 😅🤣

• ttc3yttc3y member
    edited January 2023
    @angbaby83 I’m so sorry that the ECV didn’t work out. I would be gutted as well. I hope you can find inner peace with your labor and delivery path. 

@bbd2023 It’s so frustrating when providers don’t give you all the answers you need. I highly recommend Evidenced Based Birth on Gestational Diabetes and Inductions:  https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-on-induction-for-gestational-diabetes/

and also their article on Big Babies: https://evidencebasedbirth.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Big-Babies-Handout.pdf

Based on my research with UpToDate (which is a trusted resource used by many healthcare providers): if you are managing your GD with diet and lifestyle, the current clinical guidelines state you should be allowed to do expectant management- meaning you should be allowed to go into spontaneous labor and you do not need an induction. 

Hopefully the resources I’ve shared with you can bring some clarity to making a decision you can feel confident with at your next appointment. 
  • @bbd2023 that sounds stressful to not even have a steady care provider at this point. I feel like most doctors push induction way too much, like it's standard procedure now. I've never had it done myself but many of my friends have regretted it and one in particular had a tragic outcome just recently. I don't mean to be fear mongering but I would definitely read the info from @ttc3y.
  • @bbd2023 I don’t have GD and my baby will be almost 9 pounds just due to how big my husbands family runs. Same with my last pregnancy. You’ll be just fine with a 6.5-7 pound baby. My baby was bigger than that at 36 weeks 😬 I’ve also been given pitocin due to a slow labor and it was horrible. A friend of mine was actually induced and she said pitocin is from Satan himself. Like others, I don’t mean to scare you. But if you can go into labor naturally, I would. 
  • seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited January 2023
    @amccurls 😆 "from Satan himself". I'm sure it has its uses but I'm glad my babies are small! I've had pitocin to get my placenta out but it was just a shot of it in the thigh. I'm hoping to avoid that this time, even though I don't think it comes close to comparing to pitocin to get a baby out!
  • karbaudkarbaud member
    edited January 2023
    @bbd2023, I have not been induced before (this is my first pregnancy), but I’m scheduled to be induced on Feb 1. This is recommended due to my advanced maternal age and because I’ve had COVID twice during this pregnancy which impacts the placenta. I’ve also been told and read research stating that induction does not increase the risk of cesarean. I’m hoping that my baby arrives naturally before my induction date, but I also can’t imagine being pregnant for more than another week. I’m pretty miserable and over it, so I’ve come to terms with being induced and have listened to a lot of induction birth stories. I know many inductions feel more painful and last longer than natural labor. However, my sister had her second baby 6 hours after being induced so I’m hoping for something similar. 🤞

I think it’s a personal choice if it’s elective. It’s definitely not an easy decision to make.

There’s an induction thread in the December 2022 birth month group that might be worth reading too. 
  • @ttc3y @karbaud @seeds_of_joy @amccurls thank you all! 
    Little stressed on the short time frame they gave me to decide. Have been trying to read different articles on it but everyone’s opinion on it is so different depending on who you ask so was hoping for some personal insight as well! 
    I’ll definitely have a look through the December thread, I didn’t know they had a whole discussion on it that will hopefully be helpful! 
  • @ttc3y, agreed! You basically go from 0 to 100 for contractions with an induction over a very short period of time. I’ve definitely heard that the pain is hard to tolerate. I consider myself to have a high pain tolerance, but I am nervous. I plan to avoid the epidural as much as possible. I may try nitrous oxide.

I hadn’t heard about the slow induction. Thanks for that information. It’s definitely worth looking into.
  • @karbaud I have a low pain threshold so I made sure to ask about the pain aspects of the induction process and my doctor said that an induction does not have to hurt more than natural birth if done slowly.

So the slow induction is definitely recommended.

I haven't decided what to do as yet , but possibly scheduling an induction for the 7th of Feb for three reasons 1)I started my leave today and want as much time with baby as possible before working again, we have four months maternity in South And 2) I am feeling miserable wrt the pain and discomfort I am currently experiencing as baby's head is currently engaged and I am 1cm dialated.
    3) Baby will be two days shy of 40 weeks and doctor said that the placenta is all ready mature. 

Hoping and praying baby comes sooner and all goes well with your delivery.
    💐

• Does anyone have experience with using pethidine or diamorphine as pain management during labour? If yes, how was that experience for you.