June 2023 Moms

Favorite products thread

I figured as we are either finding out the sex of our babies, starting to purchase things, prepare for baby showers etc... it may be a good time to start talking about "must have" products for baby/parents after our littles arrive. Just a good place to ask questions about products some may have tried and loved/hated. With my first born, I was 18 and had very little money and help available and mostly just took whatever was given to me and had no real clue what would be a useful product or really unnecessary stuff. I never owned a good baby carrier and am really interested on suggestions for those! Maybe someone else is curious on something like a swing, a breast pump, etc! I am also interested in recommendations for those things lol. 

A personal recommendation I have is a noise machine of some sort for baby. I don't think the brand matters too much, but the noise machine was a life saver for my first! It helped drown out noise from outside of his room but also just helped him sleep! 

Re: Favorite products thread

• @hitcj4687 I got a white noise machine for my first to drown out my own noises. She had the magical ability to sleep through all kids of outside noise, like garbage trucks beeping under her window, but would wake up immediately if I bumped into something. 🙄
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • What about learning activities kindergarden? If you are agree, I'd like to propose you a cite https://wunderkiddy.com. There are a lot of articles, which I sure will help you.
  • Loading the player...
  • @pttomato lol that too. My first and I shared a room until he was about a year old and I found even just turning around in my bed could wake him up so the sound machine helped a lot with that 

@oksanalemberg I typically buy work books/activity books for that age! I can't get my kid to do anything like that anymore (age 7). All he wants to do with his free time is play videogames and watch YouTube. YouTube was taken away 2 weeks ago. I'm so tired of the crap he had been watching on there He does enjoy coloring! But zero interest in work books anymore! Right now he's obsessed with fortnight. 
  • @hitcj thanks for starting this thread!

Baby carriers: My husband and I both love our Lillebaby, and we used it from birth through 18 months or so. I also used an Ergobaby Embrace from birth to 9 months, and will use it again this time around.

Pump: I used and liked the Spectra. It's insurance covered, although I did pay the upgrade fee to get the one that you can charge instead of tethering to an outlet. I pumped for a full year and it's still in good enough shape for me to use it again. Also, a haaka is a must have for pumping mamas in my opinion!
  • Baby carriers: for newborns/small babies, I loved wraps and slings. I had some off brand wrap, but am looking at getting a solly this time. I love wildbird's slings with DS1+2, but never tried anything else! For bigger/weightier babies, we had Happy Baby Carriers and those were the best. DH loved them too.

Breastpump: as someone who has exclusively pumped in the past, I cannot do traditional plug-in pumps. They're like being in chains haha. I had both Medela and Ameda with DS1, and didn't really like either of them, though Medela was better if I had to choose. I used the Willow with DS2 and it was life-changing! Bought mine second hand for less than half the price and it lasted!

Sound machine: we have the hatch, but we bought it just last year for DS1 as a nightlight when he started having nightmares. We've never used a sound machine when they're babies.

• I’m loving this thread. I haven’t had a baby since 2009 (I was 19) and had a bunch of hand me downs that were falling apart…I was so grateful for those hand me downs but I’m so excited to be in a position to choose this time around... so this is going to be super helpful. 
  • edited January 2023
    Yes to a sound machine. Life saver. I have used the solly for both babies and I also love that so much. So stretchy and comfy, but not too hot. We also love pacifiers and swear by dr browns.
  • pttomatopttomato member
    edited January 2023
    In terms of carriers I liked stretchy wraps in the beginning when they are tiny, especially with my first and then soft structured carriers when they get bigger. Although I didn’t use the wrap as much with my second because he didn’t really like it. On the other hand he loved the sling, where my second wouldn’t stop popping the seat.

I had a Solly wrap, which was nice with my summer baby because it was lightweight so it was a little less hot. 

A baby k’tan which I didn’t like, although it may have been too small. I was only able to wear DS in it for a very short period of time before he was too big. 

A linen ring sling I made, which was nice for shorter carrying periods-it’s quick and very lightweight, but puts all the weight on one shoulder.

Ergo baby 360 with I only liked for forward-facing, which I know isn’t recommended, but DD loved. I don’t know if the new ones are like this, but the one I had required you to use an infant insert until ~12 lbs which was SO hot with my summer baby.

Kinderpack infant through preschool sizes. These were my favorite buckle carriers and I used them a ton. Tula was probably the most popular SSC when my kids were babies.

Some kind of meh dai I found at a consignment store. It’s not as quick and easy as a SSC, but I could get them higher up on my back so they could see over my shoulder, which was very important to DD, lol.

I also had a hiking frame carrier, but to be honest I generally prefer a SSC for hiking, although I only do day hikes. The hiking carrier is nice that you aren’t skin to skin, so you don’t get as hot and sweaty, and it also has plenty of space to put stuff, but I found it heavier and less comfortable, especially once they started to get heavier, like 2+.

I carried my kids a lot, lol. Unfortunately I have all my carriers away except the big kid SSCs, so I feel like I’m starting over from scratch.

I’m sure there have been all kinds of new ones that have come out since I was buying carriers 5+ years ago and I never got into woven wraps. If you did ever want help with a carrier or to try out different ones, local babywearing groups often have a lending library and times you can go try out different ones.

I’m interested in everyday stroller recommendations, I only have a jogging stroller, and I’d like something less heavy and bulky for things like errands and school pickups.

• @bridgettetheboxer DS1 was a binky baby and he loved the tommee tippee ones ONLY. Then they stopped manufacturing them when he was like 6 months old! You can still find them now, but when I first heard they'd discontinued them I was terrified they'd dry up fast. And I don't know if this is true for everybody, but we lost probably close to 50 binkies by the time DS1 was done with them. Whether they got lost or thrown by him while we were out or my sister's dog ate them. DS2 never once took a binky 🥴 pros and cons to it, but I'm not sure I'll even buy any binkies this go around. I definitely loved not being anxious about whether or not we forgot binkies when we left the house.
  • edited January 2023
    Bassinet: graco dream suite! I love it so much.
    Bouncer: ingenuity self bouncing bouncer!!! Love this so much. Seriously my fave baby item.
    & baby carrier: the Lille baby!! Also life changing.
    Everything else I’m not picky about, but those things are non negotiable for us!! Lol
  • I paid out the literal butt on import fees to order a bedside crib from the UK and while it's not as aesthetic as building my own babybay out of beautiful hardwoods I love our crib, it sidecars like a dream. 
    I've had both Solly and tuck and bundle wraps last time and this time I'm just going to do a Solly and get a Konny baby to see if I love it for lightening quick ups
    Sakura bloom hands down for a ssc, once my son was 6+ months we lived in our onbuhimo. 
    Joolz strollers are incredible omg and I'm so sad mine doesn't convert to a double because I highly doubt I'll ever love another stroller as much as my Joolz. 
    Snuggle me organic loungers, coterie diapers, hatch sound machine and cozy waffle weave blankets were also absolute favorites for us.

I don't have a swing I like though and I'm still not sure what double stroller I'm going to get. 
  • @kalesix3 speaking of loungers, I had bought the dock-a-tot with DS2 and he literally laid in it all of 2 or 3 times. Did not care for it at all :/ I think that was more because he was a contact kind of guy and not anything wrong with the dAt, but I definitely have the snuggle me on my registry instead this time haha.
  • @thescarletmom I feel like the dock a tot just can't compare to the nested hammock design that the snuggle me has, my son was a clingmaster 5000 and even his pickiest self absolutely loved the snuggle me, plus unlike the dock a tot there's no "walls" on the lounger for them to roll into and smother themselves. I had the snuggle me nursing pillow too but I never used it because of the pumping life so I got rid of it. I can't decide whether to buy another one or get the moon womb which I feel like I would like more. Decisions lol 😆 I think Design dua also makes a lounger but it's not like the snuggle me. 
  • @kalesix3 yes! So I only saw the snuggle me after getting the dock, and I immediately thought oh that would be way better for *my* baby, who needs the physical contact on all sides of him to feel comforted. The snuggle me definitely is much more nestled/enveloping than the dockatot, which is basically just a raised moat around an island situation. It didn't actually cradle him at all and I think that was his problem with it. I'm excited to try the snuggle me with baby!
  • @thescarletmom yess!!! The moat analogy is so spot on and made me laugh 😂
  • How much do you end up using a lounger like a dock-a-tot or snuggle me? These weren’t really a thing when I had my oldest.
  • @pttomato we only stopped using ours at 18 months, and he used it every single day. They make a toddler size but my son had become more attached to a blanket so I didn't replace the snuggle me. 
  • @kalesix3 Do you use it in place of of like a bouncer/baby holder? My kids were generally held, on a blanket on the ground, or in a rock n play (before it was recalled)/bouncer if I wanted them off them the ground. This seems like it would still be on the ground though?
  • @kalesix3 @pttomato I used mine (as much as DS2 allowed) as a replacement baby containment location when he was little and not rolling/sleeping. So if I was cooking for example, I would set the thing on my kitchen table (which is in the middle of our kitchen). Or if I was cleaning the living room, he'd lay in it on the couch. You could set it on the ground, but I have cats and they would have simply stepped on him if he was in their way so we never laid it on the floor.
  • pttomatopttomato member
    edited January 2023
    @thescarletmom I haven’t had an issue with the cat (he avoids the kids), but yeah, I usually like them to be off the floor when I’m doing things like cooking because I don’t trust my other kids not to smush the baby. They are not known for paying attention to their surroundings (see 4th time DS ran into something already today🙄).
  • @pttomato were a no pets household so I had no problem laying it in the floor under his play gym or on the couch beside me etc but he also napped in it which I feel fine doing because he never had unsupervised naps in it, but it was so nice on the bed or couch beside me in the newborn stage to lay him down when he sleeping constantly and he'd stay asleep so I could eat or whatever I needed to. And then as a toddler he was really attached to it as a comfort item, like his own personal lounging chair. 
  • @pttomato oh yeah, the older siblings are definitely a factor for us too haha. DS1 is quite possibly the least observant child on the planet and DS2 will just barely be 3 and loves to bodyslam so 😂 no floor babies. I used it to similarly to @kalesix3 as well, just to not have to hold him while eating sometimes. 
  • FYI to all, Snuggle Me is having a sale right now!

(I don't actually own one, but I got an ad for the sale and saw this thread 🤗)
  • I absolutely LOVE our Snuggle Me. We've used it for 2 kids now and my oldest literally napped in it until she was almost 2. 

Haaka silicone hand 'pump'- so great for catching let down on the side your not nursing on

Boppy nursing pillow

We have used room air purifiersin our bedroom and living room since our first was born and that basically became our white noise machine

Waterproof bed pad/ small blanket thing- I actually used this underneath myself in bed after giving birth and then it was great for baby on the floor or bed to have diaper-free time

Room humidifier, nose Freida - for colds

• @sunny_native14 that reminds me there's an elvie product like the haaka but more ergonomic shaped that I want to try this time, the elvie flex maybe? I need to make a list of the things I want to try this time so I don't forget. 
  • General question: are there any products STM+ recommend when going from 1 to 2 kiddos?

Example: we didn't use a swing with my first, but I know I'm going to have to set this baby down more often with less time to soothe, so I'm considering a swing this time.

Just trying to figure out what we might need in addition to the baby gear we stored away after #1!
  • @peyts228 anything for babywearing. I did it with my first, but hand over fist more often with my second. Whether it's a sling or wrap or whatever kind of carrier, doesn't matter. If you don't have one, get one!! Maybe even get two so you can leave one in your car. They're much more convenient for me at least 90% of the time than a stroller.
  • @peyts228 I'm getting a double stroller and going to invest in a bilia basket bassinet that I can move around the house for naps, take outside etc. Those were two things repeatedly recommended to me and yeah echoing @thescarletmom babywearing all the way! 
  • @kalesix3 @thescarletmomThank you! I have a ring sling and two carriers (ErgoEmbrace and Lillebaby) and I'm so hoping they work out for me this time. I couldn't babywear until 3mo postpartum with my first due to birth injuries. I'll need to have a C Section this time around and I'm worried it will inhibit babywearing, but the ring sling doesn't touch my waistline so 🤞🤞

On the topic of double strollers: anybody have a stroller wagon they love? 
  • @peyts228 littletinytwins on Instagram did a wagon review of two of the popular brands if it helps. I recently asked in my mom groups and the consensus is they all hate the wonderfold. 
    Happy baby carrier has a waistless soft structured carrier called an onbuhimo that you can wear with a newborn too if you like! 
  • This will be my 4th baby and 5th pregnancy. We find out sex in a little over a week. Boy mom so far. 

The one must have I have not seen is the HAKA!!! Thank me later mamas. This thing is a milk saver. You suction it on the side you aren't feeding on and the let down comes out. You'll get close to 4 oz a feeding that would have been wasted. It helps trigger more milk prodiction as well. Also great to relieve engorgement when out and about. I highly recommend. Get one with the suction bottom and a lid or flower. They are about 25 US and are literal life savers!!! 

I love copper pearl swaddle blankets. I just wrap em like burritos for the first 2 months. No fancy velcro or anything. They are soo soft and stretchy. 

A baby wearing contraption is a must have as well. There are soo many good ones. Hars to go wrong. 

And a pillow landing spot is great. Like the dock a tot. I use the cheaper versions. 

Sound machines are a must. I also use a cheap silicone ring or a hair tie on my wrist to help remember what side I fed on last. That is a simple way to keep track.

The Bob stroller is the best around if you are active and outdoors alot. 

A good diaper bag.

And if you are doing cloth diapers... they are much easier than they used to be, the Thirsties all in one's are adorable and efficient. Also get the spray attachment for the toilet. Make your own cloth wipes in the wipe warmer. This has saved us thousands!!!! 

Good luck Mamas! You're halfway there!

• Who has used a hand free pump?  When DS was born in 2016 they weren't really a thing yet.  Willow Go is at the top of my list but I am curious so see if anyone has any input.  I wouldn't use it as my main pump, more of a fill in for when I am running DS1 around.
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• @ReadyForaB I have the regular Willow and LOVE it. Never tried the Willow Go, but I've looked at it and I'm sure it would be just as good as the normal one. Having a hands free pump literally changed my life with DS2, and I used it as my main pump with no problems (I've heard others say the Elvie doesn't have enough suction for them to be the main and not back-up, but Willow did not have that issue for me).
  • Try the haakaa. I hated my manual one from medela and LOVED the haakaa. This is more of a suction based one. And I saw they have a catcher now and am excited to get it too. Super affordable and works wonders. It also is quiet. I have done it while doing chores and under a shirt while driving. The suction is amazing. I used my medella pump so little when I found the haakaa.
    The willow is expensive and overrated IMO. I used a friend's and was not impressed. I also produced more than the bags would hold and that was an issue. And I'm not a huge producer. I would see if anyone you know has one and try it before you buy it. I'm soo glad I did. 

Breastfeeding and potty training have been the most difficult motherhood journeys for me. I tell every mama to be about the haakaa the difference in breastfeeding from baby 1 to 2 and 3 was night and day and I attribute it to the haakaa.

• @ReadyForaB I believe the Willow go is a container one though, correct? I don't think it uses the bags at all. I am a major overproducer and using the bags or containers were both just fine for me.

Unpopular opinion but I had a haakaa last time and hated it. The suction on them did not work for the shape of my breast/position on my nipple, and if I leaked "too much" the weight of it pulled the haakaa right off. It spilled that way more times than it actually saved anything. Plus I do not consider it worthwhile as a pump of any sort, nor is that what it's meant to be.
  • The thing about the haaka is it comes unsuctioned and falls off, plus it's not a very ergonomic shape which makes it hard to go about your day normally. 
    I had elvies and I did the baby budda with legendairy silicone collection cups that fit in your bra. I think both were really great but baby Buddha didn't empty me very efficiently and elvies were absolutely useless if you had a strong letdown or multiple letdowns or an oversupply. I know the elvie support group was full of similar complaints so I think the company may have upgraded their pumps since that was two+ years ago. I always heard better things about the willow pumps but never tried them because I was tired of wasting money. 
  • @kalesix3 I think we were typing the same thing at the same time. I hated haakaas! I would also definitely never use a haakaa if I had to be moving around or in public, the shape isn't good for it.  
  • Thank you everyone!

@thescarletmom yes, the willow go is only container.  Which I love that I won't be buying bags all the time but I am also an overproducer so I am a little concerned about that.  They do offer an upgrade 7oz container which I plan to get if I do go that route.  Happy to hear you were able to use it as your main pump.  Wondering if I should wait to see if insurance will cover any of it as my pump before I buy one.  I planned on just buying the willow and getting a spectra or medela with insurance.  Willows are on a great sale on their website now though.  But is it too early to go for it? ughhhh!!!!

I bought a haakaa only because someone was selling a brand new one in a mom group I am in for super cheap.  I will try it out but do not foresee it being a main go to for me. I did like to keep my medela manual next to my bed for middle of the night leaking episodes last time around so maybe I would use it that way. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Oh jinx @thescarletmom yes I wanted to love it more than I did. But elvie has the same principal in a much better shape that slips into your bra like a nursing pad would and I'm definitely buying one to try because my friend (who's a diehard haaka fan) said it was literally the best thing she bought with her fourth baby! 
  • @ReadyForaB my insurance I think was willing to cover about half of the cost of the Willow? I ended up buying one second hand because it was cheaper overall and my insurance was giving me a bit of a runaround with the prescription for a pump since I have a CNM not OB. I've already got mine, and I personally don't think it's too early! It's nice to have a big "need" item checked off the to do list for later. As far as the containers, while it probably took me 3 minutes in the middle of the session to empty the container or change bags, I actually ended up liking being forced to have those smaller portion sizes because they were better for bottles. Also they *say* they only hold 4 oz, but I was always able to get around 6oz in the bag or container before it shut off.

@kalesix3 I did see the in-bra haakaa style product elvie came out with recently! I'd be much quicker to use something like that I think, but still on the fence. If you love it when baby is born I'll just order one rush shipping since we're due 10 days apart 😂