3rd Trimester

36 weeks pregnant and suddenly afraid of water breaking

Hi, I'm currently 36 weeks and 1 day, and all of a sudden I have a fear of my water breaking at work or in public.  My 1st I was induced and my water broke in the hospital.  This time I'm scared to bend over or even lift my leg to get into bed. Is anyone else feeling this way? 

Re: 36 weeks pregnant and suddenly afraid of water breaking

• Yeah, it’s crossed my mind a few times but what can you do. I bought disposable underwear for
    women, maybe wear those with a pad inside as well? I don’t know if it’ll contain everything completely but it should help. No one worth the time of day is going to judge you for something you can’t help. Hopefully it won’t happen that way to you! My first pregnancy, they had to rupture my
    membranes in the hospital. Second time my water broke with a huge gush while I was laying in the hospital bed. I’m 38 weeks and I’m hoping as well I won’t be at work or in public as well. If it does happen, I’m just going to leave and head my
    way to the hospital. Not much else you can do! Hang in there!
  • Statistically, only 10-15% of water breaks happen on their own. It's more likely that your water will be broken in the hospital. With my first, my midwife broke my waters when I was 9 cm dilated in the hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • My water broke at home last time. I had a day of on and off contractions so it definitely wasn’t a shock when it happened. It definitely wasn’t brought on by any sort of activity I did. 

I personally would rather it break at work/in public so I don’t have to clean it up. 🤣

But seriously, it’s more unlikely to happen and if it does, it’s not your fault and can’t be prevented. Try to just embrace the possibility and try not to worry. You wouldn’t be the first or last woman this happens to. 
  • Mine broke at home when I squatted down to put something into a nursery dresser drawer at 39+3. It wasn’t a lot, I thought I maybe peed my pants. If I’d been in public no one would have noticed. Points being, it breaking was affected by gravity/pressure and wasn’t a ton. There’s nothing you can do to control, cause, or prevent this in general so just try not to let it take up mental space- you have better things to be thinking about. 
  • My water broke at work and it really wasn’t a big deal. This time I will keep puppy pee pads in my car just in case.