3rd Trimester

Secondhand marijuana smoke

Has anyone ever been exposed to marijuana smoke while pregnant and their baby ended up testing positive for thc at birth? I was using medical til I found out I was pregnant at 6-8 weeks pregnant. I stopped cold turkey and haven’t smoked since. I’m now 37 weeks and was exposed to marijuana smoke 4-5 times my entire pregnancy, 2-3 times during the third trimester. I’m really worried now that it got into my system and now my baby will test positive at birth. I’ve read some articles online about it being possible to test positive for thc and that the baby will. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? I want to talk to my midwife about it but I’m nervous to. I don’t want cps coming to my parents house, I will definitely be kicked out and I have no where to go. I’m currently on waiting lists for apartments but I won’t be able to get in right away. The father of the baby lives with his parents and that’s where I was exposed, so I definitely can’t live there either. I’m trying not to panic but I’m really nervous and upset that I wasn’t thinking more about that at the time. 

Re: Secondhand marijuana smoke

• You could ask your doctor about what things they test for, but ultimately your best option is to be honest. That way if your baby needs special care after birth they can be prepared for it. You will definitely need to figure out how to avoid it once she’s born however.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • gpetit0223gpetit0223 member
    edited January 2023
    You should be fine! You quit smoking early and the baby didn’t produce meconium during that time. Also- If you’ve just been exposed to second hand smoke and didn’t smoke it nor was super close, then it shouldn’t be in yours or the baby’s system. I’d recommend testing yourself if you’re concerned, but I wouldn’t worry about it to much! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby and I tested negative! Im so relieved. I don’t live with anyone who actively smokes so I have no more worries with that!