Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Formula mixing

Hello moms, have a question about formula for a newborn. Specifically Enfamil AR (recommended by a pediatrician for supplementing). 
Different resources say different things. One say to use warm temperature water to mix formula with, other than- use boiling water to kill the potential bacteria in the formula. 
How do you mix formula and why? Also, how to avoid having it clumpy and not fully dissolved?
Thanks for your advice! 

Re: Formula mixing

• What did your doctor say about boiled water? In general, I've heard that recommended if your child is medically fragile or premature, or if you may have problems with your water (in the US, that typically only applies to some homes with well water). Otherwise, water straight from the tap should be fine, BUT ask your pediatrician. Keep in mind that boiling will kill living organisms like bacteria, but if the concern is something like heavy metals/lead or PFAS, boiling actually makes it worse by concentrating the contaminants. The concern is about problems with the water, not the formula. The formulas are tightly regulated to avoid bacteria getting in them (recent recalls being an example of what happens if there's any bacteria to be found in formula)

When mixing, it's better to stir than shake to avoid adding in bubbles that can cause gas. I've never been able to fully avoid clumps unless using a premixed formula. I do my best to break up clumps with whatever I'm stirring with, but there will still be some.
  • I personally use an electric water boiler to boil the water beforehand. We did the research about eliminating bacteria and it only takes a few minutes to boil so why not. As fas as mixing I definitely recommend getting the munchkin formula mixing pitcher! This has been amazing for us since our month old is drinking 24+oz a day.