1st Trimester

COVID during 1st trimester

Well it’s the gift that keeps on giving at Xmas. My mom ended up testing positive for covid while we were home for Xmas. I’ve been around her for the last couple days before we found out so I’m sure I’ve been exposed. I talked to my OB already and she didn’t seem to be as concerned. But I’m low key freaking out, afraid that it’ll affect my pregnancy or worse, cause damage to my baby. Anyone in the same position or have had experience and came out of it just fine? I know everyone is different but would be good to hear of similar experiences and the outcome. 

Re: COVID during 1st trimester

• I had COVID twice during my first trimester. Really bad timing and bad luck. I was around 9 weeks pregnant the first time. The symptoms were horrible. They gave me Paxlovid, which helped a ton. I also had to monitor my blood oxygen levels. I was at 13 weeks the second time. The symptoms weren’t bad at all. As far as I’m aware, COVID hasn’t impacted my pregnancy. I’m almost 34 weeks now and all of my scans and tests have looked normal. They have discussed inducing me at 39 weeks due to my advanced maternal age and because I had COVID. I guess COVID can impact the placenta by reducing blood flow and oxygen. My OB doesn’t seem to be too concerned, but would prefer that I don’t go past 40 weeks due to the potential impact just in case.

So far, my pregnancy has gone very smoothly. I hope you don’t get COVID. If you do, talk to your doctor about options. It sounds like many women have had perfectly healthy babies after having COVID during pregnancy. I was told that the biggest concern is for yourself and to manage your own symptoms so that they don’t become severe. Wishing you the best.
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement! I did end up getting covid after all :( it was bad for about 3 days, but starting to be on the mend now. Luckily, it wasn’t as severe as my previous covid infections. My doctor also said that I shouldn’t worry, but we will do an  ultrasound at 12 weeks and I can ask about my concerns then. Just hoping and praying that there aren’t any complications later. It’s interesting you mentioned about the placenta though since the hospital midwife who got in touch with me mentioned something about checking that once I’m in my 3rd trimester. I’ll keep that in mind and make sure to ask my doctor. 

Best of luck to you as well! You’re almost there! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had Covid early in my 2nd trimester and gave birth to a healthy baby in December with no complications. The only thing my doctor recommended was to take a daily Aspirin until I was 36 weeks pregnant