May 2023 Moms

Re: December Questions Thread

• Cloth diapers?? Tell me the good and bad!
  • @casshax no recs, we've only used disposable; but I think diapering was our first product spotlight where there may be some answers for you!

Product Spotlight: Diapering — The Bump
  • Loading the player...
  • @casshax we cloth diapered with my youngest 6 years ago. It’s more work having to wash and then put together the diapers. But in the end you save money and not throwing away loads of diapers. Once you get a wash system down it’s all easy. There are inserts you can add to make it good for nighttime use. If you use diaper cream a liner is needed. They have disposable and reusable liners. I cut up a cheap blanket to use as reusable liners and it worked amazing. If you find used diaper lot with elastic still intact and the water proof material with no tears you can do a strip method to really clean out the diapers and that saved you even more money. I know some moms that use cloth diapers at home a disposable when out. There are cloth diaper services and might be some near you. We couldn’t do it because of my daughters very sensitive skin. We like the dekor plus diaper pail to hold the cloth diapers until wash day. There are groups on Facebook that can help you establish a wash system I used it once upon a time but we no longer use social media. 
  • @casshax we did cloth diapering for the first year and a half with my son. We loved the fuzzibunz pocket diapers and they were adjustable sizes and really easy to get into a routine with. My son has really sensitive skin and they were much better for him that disposables early on. It was a little bit more work with washing and restuffing them but honestly it saved us so much money that first year that it was worth it and I really hated to make the switch to disposables but we had to move to a different apartment and couldn’t get one with a washer/dryer so we had to switch to disposables. 
  • Here’s kind of a weird question coming from a first time mom- is maternity underwear actually necessary? My pregnant friend sent me a link to a sale for maternity undies and it honestly hadn’t even crossed my mind that I’d need to switch out my underwear, hahaha! I don’t want to waste money if it’s not necessary, though. Any firsthand experience would be so appreciated! 
  • @fvera88 I didn't get maternity underwear with my first. It's not a necessity, but may be more comfortable as you get bigger depending on what type of underwear you usually wear. 
  • @fvera88 I wondered the same thing! I typically wear bikini style underwear anyway that sits on my hips and was very confused about why they wouldn’t work with a bump. I carry weight around my belly anyway so I feel like what I already have is going to be fine.
  • @fvera88 @courtney701 I never needed maternity underwear with my first pregnancy even though my belly got huge. I wore my usual hip-hugger polyester/nylon underwear and it worked just fine.
  • I didn't get them with my oldest and was fine. But I did get them with my youngest and loved them. I just got some pairs from Old Navy because they are super soft.
  • edited December 2022
    @fvera88 I got some because my underwear started rolling down in the front. I like them because I don’t have all this extra bunched up material in the front. I don’t think maternity matters so long as they accommodate the bump so less in the front is best for me
  • I didn’t get any the first time because mine sits under where my belly is anyway. Don’t plan to this time either. 
  • Super helpful feedback- thanks, y’all! Sometimes it’s hard to tell what’s necessary and what is just marketing. Will hold off on buying any unless there’s actually a need, haha. 
  • Do any of you STM+ have experience with birth trauma? I had a very traumatic and difficult experience when I gave birth to my son, which culminated in a forced c-section. After talking about what happened with my midwives this time around, they agreed that what I went through should never have happened the way it did and recommended I start working with a therapist to try to prepare for this coming birth. I’m just feeling a little overwhelmed and wondering if I’m the only one struggling with this right now?
  • @bunniecee I personally haven’t, but a friend of mine has been very open in sharing on Facebook about her birth trauma, and recently finished a year’s worth of sessions with her trauma therapist, and speaks very highly of that experience. 
  • @ashleyp625 do you happen to know if her therapist is for general trauma or if they specialize in birth trauma? I’m really glad to hear she’s found it so helpful though, either way. I haven’t had much luck yet in finding a place to start and I’m not sure if I need to find someone very specific or if general trauma covers this kind of thing
  • @bunniecee birth trauma, I think? Admittedly we’re just acquaintances, not super close, but I feel like maybe it was virtual and not in our area? 
  • Who is using or considering using a doula? 
  • Is anyone else struggling with rosy cheeks and really dry skin with pimples?! 😭 I’ve tried Origins and Cera Ve with mixed success… my skin makes me want to cry! 
  • @acamomma18 I usually uses dermalogica phyto oil with moisturizer, but lately I’ve been so lazy I use the bio oil on my face of what’s left after rubbing my belly. Target has the 6oz bottle online for sale at $18!  
    My little boy hormones have given me huge pimples. I also do dermaplaning (shave face with a single razor). It’s all trial and error, I know it sucks but hang in there. 
  • @cait32 Why did you only use a doula once?
  • @radioactivet I'm planning to use a doula. Based on my experience with nurses last time I delivered, I want a second voice to advocate for me. Plus I'm doing a VBAC and probably need all the support I can get.