May 2023 Moms

GTKY: The Big Thanksgiving Thread!

ashleyp625ashleyp625 member
edited November 2022 in May 2023 Moms
Tell us about your plans! Are you cooking? Hosting? Traveling? Going to a restaurant? Any interesting recipes or traditions in your family? 
Share your menu! 
Ask any cooking questions. 
Pics? 
Tell us all about it! 

Re: GTKY: The Big Thanksgiving Thread!

• ashleyp625ashleyp625 member
    edited November 2022
    We always go to my mom’s house (in town). We will have: 
    roasted turkey 
    Mashed potatoes 
    stuffing 
    deviled eggs 
    yeast rolls 
    my sister’s sweet potato casserole 
    my Mac and cheese 
    sausage dressing 
    my broccoli and cheese casserole 
    green beans 

dessert: 
    usually apple, cherry and pumpkin pie
    my sister’s husband loves to bake and usually surprises us with something - last year it was a pumpkin cake 

a tradition my mom started when my son was born is that she buys his first pair of Christmas PJs and as soon as dessert is done, he changes into them to go home 🙂
  • I hosted both sets of our parents, siblings, and DH's aunt and made most of the dinner while fighting off a cold!  :p We had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (inside and outside the bird), gravy, corn, green bean casserole, rolls, pierogis, pumpkin pie, apple crisp, chocolate pudding pie, and pumpkin fluff pie. MIL also brought a fruit tray, so DD's dinner was mostly strawberries and pineapple. 
    Our only somewhat unusual tradition is pierogis, which we have with every holiday meal: both sides of our families have Eastern European roots and there's always a good ethnic shop nearby. The day after Thanksgiving is when we put up the Christmas tree! It was warm yesterday, so DH spent all afternoon on our roof putting up lights.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hosted both sets of our parents, siblings, and DH's aunt and made most of the dinner while fighting off a cold!  :p We had turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing (inside and outside the bird), gravy, corn, green bean casserole, rolls, pierogis, pumpkin pie, apple crisp, chocolate pudding pie, and pumpkin fluff pie. MIL also brought a fruit tray, so DD's dinner was mostly strawberries and pineapple. 
    Our only somewhat unusual tradition is pierogis, which we have with every holiday meal: both sides of our families have Eastern European roots and there's always a good ethnic shop nearby. The day after Thanksgiving is when we put up the Christmas tree! It was warm yesterday, so DH spent all afternoon on our roof putting up lights.
    Ooh pierogis! I’d love to try fresh ones someday. 
  • We hosted my mom, sister and grandmother - they came down right when the parade started and stayed all day! We had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts, rolls, cranberry sauce, and gravy. Appetizers were brie with pecans and craisins and country ham on beaten biscuits. Dessert was an apple pie! It was the best day.
  • We did Thanksgiving with my extended family.  My mom, aunts, uncles and cousins. We haven't done Thanksgiving with them since probably 2016? So it was really nice to be able to go. My oldest has a blast playing with my cousins, his uncles, doing superheroes. I'm Lebanese on that side so there is always a lot of homemade Lebanese dishes. Fatayer (meat or spinach pie) and homemade hummus is probably my favorite!