Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Help! Experiences with Hcg after miscarriage?

Hi all, this is my second miscarriage. The first I miscarried naturally (baby stopped growing at 5.5w) and a pregnancy test was negative about 1.5 weeks later.

This time was a missed miscarriage (and I was further along, baby stopped growing at 7w3d.) I had a D&C on Friday and I took a pregnancy test today (4 days later) just to see if it’s started to get any more faint and it’s super bold still. I know I’m jumping the gun but I wish I had an idea how long it will take for my hcg to hit 0 again. I also have experienced almost no bleeding or cramping after my procedure and my breasts are still large and sore. I feel like my body doesn’t know it’s not pregnant anymore. :(

- Has anyone heard if there is a difference in how quickly hcg lowers after a natural miscarriage vs D&C?
- has anyone had a D&C when baby measured around 7w and how long did it take for your levels to hit 0?
- should I be concerned the pregnancy test is still so bold or will that be the case for quite a while?

Thank you so much!

Re: Help! Experiences with Hcg after miscarriage?

• Just like every pregnancy being different, the same can be said for miscarriages. I had a natural MC when I was 8w2d and it took about 3 weeks for my HCG to be <5/get a negative HPT. I don't remember how dark my tests were shortly after the MC. It's possible my HCG was already dropping before the MC occurred.

If your tests aren't getting lighter, it's possible the D&C didn't get all of the POC. Any retained tissue can keep HCG in your system
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Sorry I know this question was a while ago. But someone might come on here and find this helpful.
    I was curious about hcg and how long it would take to drop during my miscarriage so I took preg tests every day to see when they'd turn negative. I've had people tell me it was different for them so, yeah, everyone is different, every loss is different and there are so many unknown factors but this is what it was like for me.
    My hcg was good and strong during the early bleeding and even through the day the baby passed and beyond. I think I bled for about 10 days after the baby passed and over that time the preg tests got progressively lighter. The bleeding stopped a couple days before the pregnancy tests finally came back negative.
    I had two friends test this out for me after full term pregnancies and they found the same result postpartum. Their hcg decreases along with the bleeding and disappeared around the same time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hopefully your physician is ordering serial hcg bloodwork to track that is safest way to know how long you have until you are complete in the process. Mine dropped alot within 3 dsys so i can wait a week for repeat lab. Mine was natural so not sure if surgical intervention changes things. 
  • weelweel member
    It took 3wks before I got a negative on a test I was 5.5wks when I had a missed miscarriage.