June 2023 Moms

First Prenatal Appointment

Hi! I’m pregnant with my second child and due June 16th. I called to set up my first prenatal appointment at the same practice I used with my first, wonderful experience with them before. They said I was due to be seen around Nov. 4th, when I’m 8 weeks pregnant. However, the soonest they’d be able to see me is Nov. 22, when I’m 11 weeks. 

I was shocked and I feel a lot of anxiety waiting that long to receive any prenatal care. My first pregnancy was wonderful and thankfully healthy. Unfortunately, I know that doesn’t always mean the others will be too. I’ve asked to get my blood work done at 8 weeks still, to make sure all my levels are rising as they should. The office outsources this so all they would need to do is send me orders. Am I being ridiculous? When are your prenatal appointments? 

With my first, I was seen at 8 weeks and then again at 12 weeks.

Re: First Prenatal Appointment

• @abilbro you’re not being ridiculous! Good for you for advocating for an earlier blood draw. My phone intake is this week and my actual appointment is at 8 weeks. I got blood draws already because I have a blood clotting disorder and need a script for thinners once pregnancy is confirmed. Otherwise they surely wouldn’t be testing my blood this early either. I wonder if you can get on an appointment cancellation list? That said, for my first the 8 week appt wasn’t more than a meeting with the doctor to understand the process. No scan till 12 weeks. That said I really hope they’re able to work with you and have you feeling well cared for! 
  • I have no appointment booked yet but I have an ultrasound scheduled for the 24th when I will be just over 7 weeks.  *TW LOSS* - I have a history of MMC around 6 weeks so honestly, I don't care to even think about it unless and until I get a good ultrasound at 7 weeks. Not sure when they will see me if all looks good. 
    TTC History:
    Started dating DH 2006 . Married 2015

TTC July 2015-November 2015
    BFP November 2015
    Baby boy born August 2016

Oops BFP February 2021
    MMC March 2021

Back on BC for a year to decide what we want to do.

TTC Since March 2022
    MMC June 2022

BFP September 2022 - Due June 2023!

• Loading the player...
  • My first appointment is the 31st when I’m ~9 weeks. I’d also NOT be happy waiting until 11 and would also demand blood work .. good for you! @abilbro
  • I have an over the phone appt on Tuesday next week and nothing in person until I'm 9 weeks and 3 days. They said they may be able to get me in for an ultrasound the week of Halloween,  but I won't know until the phone call appointment. I had blood work done to check my thyroid levels because of a bad history with that. With my first baby, I feel like I got in a lot sooner. It feels so crazy to wait that long! My first ultrasound with my first born was done at 10 weeks though.
  • @ccmrc143 hoping it all goes well 🫶🏽 I did get on a cancellation list, hopefully something comes out of it. Thanks for sharing your experience with your first, it’s made me feel better about waiting if that’s what ends up happening. My 8 week with my first was the ultrasound and bloodwork then 12 week was just blood pressure and listening to the heart beat. So I was feeling nervous about the wait. It’s crazy how different practices operate differently, you’d think they’d be following similar schedules.
  • @ReadyForaB I’m so sorry to hear of the losses you’ve been through. Sending positive vibes for your 7 week appointment 🤞🏽
  • @maddmama glad I’m not the only one. They basically told me there would be no difference between doing it at 8 weeks and 10 weeks and 4 days (which they clarified is what I’d be at my appointment 🙄) They said if it’s HCG levels I wanted checked, those stop doubling at 6 weeks so regardless if it’s 8 weeks or after that, it would be too late to do anything about it. Our healthcare system blows my mind, you would think that they’d be proactive then and check levels even earlier and intervene if necessary. I’m on a waitlist for an earlier appointment but we’ll see.
  • @hitcj4687 it feels so crazy to me too. Knowing your first ultrasound with your first was at 10 weeks is reassuring for me. I was feeling really nervous about waiting longer than the 8 weeks. I hope you get your first ultrasound sooner rather than later!!
  • @abilbro I’m guessing you’re in America too? Our healthcare system blows my mind as well 🙃🙃🙃
  • Mine is Monday when I’ll be 8 weeks and 1 day, with my son they saw me at 7 weeks 4 days but wouldn’t budge any earlier than 8 weeks this time. My anxiety has also been through the roof waiting that long so I can only imagine how you feel waiting those additional weeks. 😩
  • I have been surprised at how nervous I feel waiting for my first appt. I never had real prenatal care with my first two kids, being overseas, and this is my first pregnancy that I’ll have it and I’m so excited. Buuut I’m dying to see a baby in there ASAP. I don’t know, I guess I just want prenatal care to make all the difference I’m hoping it does. 
    I think I may have realized what put me into preterm labor with my second, and it’s something so preventable! 😩 I believe I’m O- and he’s O+, and it sounds like that’s one of the combos that you need the shot for? 
    A doctor would have caught that if it’s true!
  • @babyaontheway06 I also have my first appt at 8w1. With my first two, I was able to get ultrasounds before my first appointment and they always helped hold me down until then, but not this time. I'm 6w today and feeling so impatient.
  • I’ve had 2 previous pregnancy’s with healthy babies. Both of those first appointments were at 10 weeks, and when I called to set this one up it’s also at 10 weeks. That’s what our OB office policy is.
  • @maddmama what gave me away 😅
  • @babyaontheway06 sorry to hear you’re having to wait too, it’s grueling.
  • @annemarie96 hoping prenatal care makes a difference for you 🫶🏽 I think the nerves leading up are completely normal. We’re all hoping for a healthy little baby in there and seeing it is just so reassuring. I hope it all works out for you this round!
  • @girlmom42 thanks for sharing, that reassured me. Was your next appointment 14 weeks? I ask because with my first it was 8 and 12 weeks. I know they won’t see me back at 12 if my first appointment isn’t until 10 weeks.
  • I’m now boutta be on my 3rd appointment since finding out I’m pregnant. Due date June 4. The first one was at 6 weeks and the second was 7 weeks and 2 days and I go back again at 9 weeks and 2 days which is the 1st. I had a MC in feb and I’m guessing my doctor is being extremely cautious this time. Seeing my little baby is soothing ❤️
  • I believe at 14 weeks after that. 
  • @mommy0716 so sorry to hear about your MC in Feb, but so happy to hear your doctor is being extremely cautious. I can imagine the reassurance it must give you to see your baby healthy and growing ♥️ 
  • @girlmom42 14 weeks after what? For what?
  • @abilbro I am over 35 and my OB specializes in high risk pregnancy / over 35. I have my first scan next week at 7 weeks (prelim Ultrasound), and then a second booked for week 10 (Prenatal Visit #1). Nov 22 is coming up quick for you! ❤️
  • @knottiee59eb03d1a6cfaec that’s so exciting that you have a scan next week! Fingers crossed for a healthy little babe. Nov 22 is going to be here before I know it. I keep wishing it would hurry up and get here but we also celebrate the holidays so part of me also wants the month to slow down haha