Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Nursing Strike

Has anyone experienced a nursing strike? If so how long did it last and did you do anything to make it better?
My baby has been refusing the breast for about 14 days now. My supply is great and have had zero problems there. But I have had to trick baby with a pacifier in order for baby to latch. She also has to be laying down or swaddled almost asleep to stay latched.

I’m struggling here and hoping it’s not the end of my breastfeeding journey. I just can’t do this much longer.

Re: Nursing Strike

• When this happened early on with my son, I switched binkies to a more nipple shaped one right away, thinking he was developing a preference for the shape of the binky.  We originally used Philips Avent Soothies, the firmer round/tube-like shaped ones, similar to what out hospital provided.  I switched to the more soft, flat, flexible, nipple shaped ones and haven't had an issue since. For him, this only lasted about 2 to 3 days, just about the amount if time it took for him to get used to the new binkies too.  We now only use the Nuk Comfy Orthodontic pacifiers.  Hope this helps!!
  • I haven’t had to deal with this but I found an article about it. I really hope this helps.

https://www.llli.org/breastfeeding-info/nursing-strikes/
  • Loading the player...
  • This has happened with my son (now 4 months) often since birth. I pump and bf. Everytime it happens I try and trick him like you said and even then, it rarely works. However, he pretty much breastfeeds without issues at night, thank God. Idk what the reason is but it'll last a few days on a few days off. Never really solving. I just keep trying to offer the breast and don't plan on giving up. It's hard!