April 2023 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Diapering

for ALL:
Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable?
Why?

for STM/+s
What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use?
Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by?
Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)? 
If you have previously use cloth diapers, what brands / tips and tricks do you recommend? 
& if yes to the above, did you use a cleaning service or DIY/which would you recommend?

for FTMS:
Are there any products related to diapering you're interested in?
Any questions for S+TMs re: diapering & related products?

Re: Product Spotlight: Diapering

• Options
    We do a combo of cloth/disposable with my son, planning on doing the same with this baby (although hoping to use less disposables this time).

We use disposable overnight, as well as when traveling or if we are going to be out of the house all day.
    For disposables: I like Huggies Special Delivery. Pampers gave my son terrible rashes. We also tried Honest diapers but I wasn't a fan. He leaked out of pretty much everything in the early days (disposable and cloth) bc he was sooo scrawny. 
    For cloth: I went the "easy" route and we use AIO (all-in-one) diapers. We primarily use Blueberry Simplex brand (made in USA, organic cotton). They are sooo easy to use. We have also tried preflats with a cover (I used those in the newborn days but not recently), as well as fitteds with a cover overnight. You don't need a crazy big stash--I'd say we have about 20ish diapers, which lasts 3-4 days. I wash diapers every 2-3 days. "Must" have items would be a diaper sprayer (you can get away without one, it just makes it easier to clean poopy diapers). If you can afford a diaper service and want to go that route, go for it. But it's really not that difficult to wash/clean the diapers yourself.
    Diaper cream: I really like Earth Mama diaper cream (also really like their nipple cream)
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited September 2022
    We’re doing disposable again. Probably a mix of Amazon brand and Costco like with our son.

I tried to get away without a diaper pail to begin with but quickly bought one. It’s just so handy to throw the diaper away right there when you’re bleary eyed at 2am. 

We’re just doing the same setup as last time. I think: changing pad on top of dresser, first in our room and then in the nursery once baby moves in there. No need for a changing table, they’re just a waste of space. 

I don’t remember what creams and lotions are out there. We used desitin if his butt started looking red but he never really had a diaper rash. He’s still in diapers btw, just haven’t needed to use anything in a long time. 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We will do disposables again for simplicity sake. But I might look into more eco friendly options because I just recently found out how long those things take to decompose 😬 

We loved Huggies for our son. I prefer them to pampers because they aren’t scented and have a little band in the back to prevent blowouts. Whenever I put a scented diaper on my son there was almost guaranteed to be a rash. 
    We used water wipes because I liked the texture, moisture, and again because they are in scented. 
    My son is not very rash prone, thank goodness, but in the beginning we used quite a bit of A&D on his tush to make the newborn poop easier to clean off. 
    We used a wipes dispenser and a diaper genie and I would recommend them both. I am really bad a remembering to close the top on the wipes so the dispenser helped keep them moist. As long as you take the bags out of the diaper genie in a timely fashion the smell is pretty well contained. I also made some baking soda/essential oil things to stick in the bottom to help control the smell. 
    I would also recommend diaper caddies/diaper changing stations around the house of you’ve  got a larger house/lots of stairs. 
  • Options
    for ALL:
    Are you thinking Cloth or Disposable? Disposable, I can't handle any more laundry! 
    Why? See above

for STM/+s: 
    What are your favorite brands/types/sizes to use? Pampers - I have tried others, and they all fail. Pampers are the ONLY diapers I'll buy. 
    Is there a rash cream/wipe/etc. you swear by? Thankfully never really needed it. 
    Any other diapering accessories can you not live without (e.g. diaper pail)? Don't buy the hype with diaper pails- they ALL smell regardless. Signed, someone who spent a ton on Yubi's but still has stinky diaper pails. 
    If you have previously use cloth diapers, what brands / tips and tricks do you recommend? 
    & if yes to the above, did you use a cleaning service or DIY/which would you recommend?
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    We will definitely cloth diaper again. We've done it 100% of the time with my son, and I have no regrets. 

Cloth diapering can feel really overwhelming at first, especially with the lingo. But you learn it quickly. We do prefolds and a waterproof cover. It's very economical, and not difficult at all. I have some pocket and all-in-ones that I was gifted, but I don't like them. I love green mountain diapers, and have clotheeze prefolds with thirsties covers. 

We use the green boudreaux butt cream. It's cloth friendly, not expensive, and works really well. 

My must have is 100% a diaper sprayer, once they start solid food (breast milk poop is water-soluble and doesn't need to be rinsed).

My tips for cloth diapering are getting a good wash routine down. Cloth diaper laundry isn't hard once you get a system down. I don't have to fold anything, which is what I hate most about other laundry. There are some really helpful FB groups and websites too for trouble-shooting issues. 

I know cloth isn't for everyone, but I seriously love it. I never have to worry about running out of diapers, and it's saved us so much money. 

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Team pampers!

We tried several different diaper creams. Ultimately, had to get Rx Nystatin several times. 

We used pampers wipes and sometimes water wipes when we needed the Nystatin (although I hear they may have changed the water wipes ingredients). 

I truly admire those who CD, my SIL included, and appreciate their contributions to the environment. As a full time working mom who also frequently solo parents with a spouse who travels a ton (including now as I post this lol) I cannot fathom fitting in CD. I draw the line at cleaning bottles and pump parts. 
  • Options
    Disposable!  I can't imagine more laundry!

We love huggies, like @iiirene.  We used to be a huge fan of the Costco brand, but they eliminated the 2nd velcro to prevent the diaper from slipping, and that's just a deal breaker.  So now we are huggies all the way (specifically little movers). 

When my  daughter's diaper rash was really bad we used seventh generation diapers (unbleached) and pampers aqua pure wipes.

We use aquaphor like crazy in this house.  With my daughter, we tried every diaper cream, but found that anything zinc based made her rashes worse.  Aquaphor is the only thing that really helped.  Worked great to get rid of cradle cap, too.

We use a changing pad on top of a dresser.  We have a diaper caddy on top, too.  In the early days we use the changer on top of the pack n play until baby outgrows it.  Use a diaper stacker and the pockets of the pack n play to organize everything.