Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Too much sleep?

Hi everyone! My baby was born august 2nd at 39 weeks exactly. Due to blood type incompatibility (I’m O+ she’s B+) she had pathologic jaundice and spent the first few days doing phototherapy. So since birth she’s slept A LOT. More than I remember my first sleeping. Even now at 7 weeks I would say she sleeps at least 21/22 hours in a 24 hour period. Other than that, she’s smiling, happy and alert when she is awake and feeding fine + lots of wet nappies.

Is this normal? Should I be more concerned or just content to have a baby who likes her sleep?

Re: Too much sleep?

• Options
    Mine slept A LOT and I did worry too. I was told by the NICU nurses (he was in there for the first 2 weeks) that "A sleeping baby is a growing baby" as the growth hormones are produced whilst sleeping (something like that). 
    As long as baby feeds and get what is required, I wouldn't worry. I say to double check with a pediatrician if anything for peace of mind, but I think just enjoy having a sleepy baby while you can! Now that my baby is 7 months old and only naps maybe 30 minutes a couple times a day, I wish he would sleep more so I could watch a movie in peace! Haha 
  • Options
    burningbagelburningbagel member
    edited October 2022
    Hey mama! I'm not a doctor but from my own experience with my baby (she's also my 1st so I'm only going off this) she sleeps in intervals that seem convenient for her. For example, sometimes there is a pattern for night sleeping but the other night she slept 7 hours straight. I agree with the other mom. If your baby is getting enough to eat or you're at least offering food while they are awake, and their weight seems to be increasing not decreasing, then don't stress. Sleep is great for the baby according to my doctor too so you must have a great environment for the baby. I wouldn't worry too much unless you notice the baby in distress or acting funny when awake. I also know it's not in everyone's budget, but I recommend the Owlet if you're concerned her sleep is dangerous, like low oxygen. 

Hope this helps some. You're doing great so trust your instincts and definitely enjoy that sleeping time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My baby was born on August 2nd at exactly 39 weeks too! She sleeps a ton too! As long as she's growing and eating good, let her sleep and you get some rest mama!