April 2023 Moms

September Questions thread

I didn't see a questions thread so figured I'd make a (monthly) one. Got a question? Ask it here instead of creating one-off threads!

Re: September Questions thread

• So I have my first ultrasound tomorrow (or at least I think I do 🤔). When I scheduled the appt I was told I'd have an ultrasound. 
    BUT during my last pregnancy, my provider's office scheduled all of my ultrasounds at the hospital (across the street from their office) and I would receive a scheduling call plus confirmation phone call from the hospital with directions to chug a butt ton of water beforehand. So far I have heard nothing so I'm wondering if I'm getting the ultrasound done at my actual OB's office instead? The only difference between this pregnancy and last one is I'm seeing an OB instead of a midwife (still at the same practice/office though).
    So I guess I'm just wondering if you all get your ultrasounds done at your actual provider's office? Should I be expecting a transvaginal ultrasound instead of regular abdominal one? And if so do you still need to drink a lot of water beforehand?!! I did send a message to my OB's office but I don't think they will get back to me by the end of the day and I'm just feeling confused lol.
  • etnyahetnyah member
    edited September 2022
    @nsk489 yep, I had an US at their office! They just wheeled a portable machine into the regular exam room. At my previous OB office I remember having to go from OB to imaging (same building, different floor), so every place is a little different. 

ETA: for more extensive ultrasounds like the anatomy scan, I’ll actually have to go to a different hospital campus this time. But the portable machines are detailed enough for a quick viability/dating scan. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My OBGYN practice has in house ultrasounds and said all of my ultrasounds will be in office. My last pregnancy, different doctor, different state, I had several in office but had the NT scan and anatomy scan at the local hospital. 
  • @etnyah @iiirene thanks ladies, that makes me feel better! Was starting to think maybe I'm not getting an ultrasound done after all 😆
  • @nsk489 my appt last week didn’t specify ultrasound and I got one anyway! I bet you’ll get to see baby tomorrow!
  • Are nightmares plaguing anyone else? I have trouble falling asleep, then once I’m asleep I don’t even want to be asleep because my dreams are so vivid and bothersome. Some are downright traumatic. 

I don’t think I need advice, just commiseration. 
    ALLI & ERIK - 12.12.10
    Stella - 7.7.11 | Ian - 8.6.14 | Isaac- 7.20.18
    #4 due 4.22.23

• @abirdd9 I am also having super vivid dreams that are emotionally draining. The night before last I had a very long and very real dream that my parents did something extremely upsetting to me - and I still can't shake the feeling of how mad and upset & betrayed I was in the dream, its crazy!
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • @abirdd9 @MsBeachNJ that sounds terrible! I recall having vivid dreams last time (not necessarily nightmares) but not yet this pregnancy
  • Same with the vivid dreams. I guess more draining than scary, if my current dreams were movies they’d be emotional thrillers rather than horror. Not quite nightmares, but definitely not my favorite.
  • My nightmares have been awful, mostly about people dying or me and my ex in a custody battle. I woke up shaking because the anger felt so real. So I totally get it! 
  • Is anyone else not doing NIPT? My husband and I keep going back and forth but are leaning towards no....but I know I need to make a decision soon!
  • @nsk489 if not for our higher risk, I wouldn’t have. And since we’re checking for one thing I was like “ehhh might as well” for the more common ones too. Didn’t do it last time! 
  • @nsk489 I’m not doing it. Its pricey and I’m not at any higher risk. 
  • @iiirene that's exactly why I'm leaning towards not doing it this time. We used our HSA to pay for it last time so the cost didn't hurt as much 😆 but no longer have an HSA and really don't want to pay for something so expensive when I'm low risk
  • When do we move to a private group again?? I know it’s early but the rando single question drive-by threads are driving me bananas. Because we obviously need three threads about NIPT when there already is a designated genetic testing thread 🙄
  • @etnyah it's taking a lot of willpower for me to not snarkily respond to each one 😬😬😬
  • @nsk489 saaaame. I don’t remember it being this many last time, despite the group being a lot bigger. Or maybe I’m just more of a bish now. Either way, how hard is it to just put in a smidge of effort??