Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Babywise wake time before sleep.

Hi, my 6 week old is doing well in babywise. I do use the 4 s’s before naps and sleep. She usually goes down well for naps but struggling with bedtime. She has been going to bed about 9:30 minutes pm, with her awake time 45 min before bed. She struggles then to fall asleep often until 11. I’ve tried shortening her wake time and making it longer to over an hour but either way she struggles. Am I putting her to bed too late? I can’t figure out if her week time is too long or too short that she is fussing before her bedtime sleep. Please help

Re: Babywise wake time before sleep.

• Options
    Hi mama! I'm a first time mom and my baby is 7 weeks old for context. Everything I know is from my baby and the internet so this might not work for you. At 6 weeks, baby can be going through a growth spurt, so it could be why she's fussy. Don't stress it, sometimes baby is inconsolable, just try to make things comfortable and let them work it out by trying new things (different holding position, different noises/sounds, different motions). 

With our little one, it's been progressively easier to follow their cues for sleep, so night sleep is encouraged by taking baby outside for about 5 minutes when the sun's about to disappear, looking for their yawns, their eyes get foggy and they only want to be held. This is usually between 7pm-10pm. Baby is constantly absorbing information so if your house is "up" until you want to put baby to sleep, then you'll want to consider taking them away for a "nightime routine". 

We use a noise machine, and hum or sing only during the initial night sleep routine. That means we don't sing or hum for any other sleep times. This (hopefully) let's our baby know it's time for "big" sleep. Keep in mind some babies are just not happy sometimes and some need more assistance than others to "get good" at sleep. 

Our baby hates being swaddled and likes their brow ridge gently rubbed to sleep. Every baby can be different, so don't take it personally and try anything you're comfortable with.

You're doing great lady! Trust your instincts, you're the best one for your baby to figure them out because no one is going to care as much as you for them.