November 2022 Moms
Options

Need advice- Flying 3rd trimester!

My best friend is getting married . I'm in the wedding party. It's a destination wedding to a hot climate. The flight is 4.5 hours (each way). I'll be 33 weeks, 5 days pregnant. I'm starting to have shortness of breath and some mild circulation issues. Would you go? Has anyone flown under similar circumstances?

Re: Need advice- Flying 3rd trimester!

• Options
    I flew last weekend and was totally fine but I was also only 30 weeks and my flights were two hours each way. I flew to Mexico at the end of July as well with no issues but again I was only in my second trimester then. I had looked up travel restrictions before both of my flights and most airlines have travel restrictions for domestic flights starting at 36 weeks. However I would speak to your doctor before flying so he/she can help you make the best decision. Good luck! 
  • Options
    You and your doctor can make the best decision for you. In all pregnancies I’ve flown just up to 36 weeks, this one will be included. A seatbelt extender, compression socks, plenty of snacks, and a refillable water bottle are all great things to have!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    @mo2231 the standard response would be to speak to your OB and ask for their opinion. What are you both comfortable with? Also, the suggestions above are excellent "A seatbelt extender, compression socks, plenty of snacks, and a refillable water bottle are all great things to have!" and frequent walking and moving. Obviously, the airline flight policy for pregnancy is another guiding factor. 
    Also, if you're looking for another person's experience with this, I'll share mine. I sometimes travel for work. I made the decision fairly early on that April would be my last flight. It was 6.5 hrs (NH to Seattle), I was only 10 weeks. Since then, it's been train or car. Again, strictly my decision as the doc gave the green light if I still wanted to fly. It caused me unnecessary stress that I decided wasn't worth the worry. That was the best decision for me.
  • Options
    Thank you! I'm worried about the stress of flying and the location of the wedding. It's in a relatively remote area of Puerto Rico. I know I will "probably be fine" but I'm worried about all the what ifs.