February 2023 Moms

Weekly check ins -September 12 (sorry, I had August before. Prego brain.)

seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
edited September 2022 in February 2023 Moms
EDD / Weeks + Days: 

Baby is the size of a(n):

Team blue/pink/green:

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling?: 

Rants/Raves: 

Questions:

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names?

Re: Weekly check ins -September 12 (sorry, I had August before. Prego brain.)

• EDD / Weeks + Days:  16 weeks 3 days

Baby is the size of a(n): avocado but I’m still barely showing a bump!

Team blue/pink/green: Team green til birth!

Upcoming Appointments: End of Sept midwife appointment

How are you feeling?: pretty good. Some occasional round ligament pain, waves of fatigue and nausea. Overall, I’m definitely enjoying 2nd trimester more. 

Rants/Raves:
    Rave: I’m visiting my parents and friends on the East Coast for the next two weeks and I’m so happy to be back in familiar and loving surroundings. I’m also enjoying some TLC from my mom where I don’t have to worry about what to cook for a while. 😊

Questions: natm

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names? No pets yet but I promised a puppy in my wedding vows to my husband several years ago. We’ll probably get one after we complete building our family and when the kids are big enough to enjoy, play, and learn some responsibility. 
  • karbaudkarbaud member
    edited September 2022
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 18w + 5 days

Baby is the size of a(n): Artichoke
    Team blue/pink/green: Blue
    Upcoming Appointments: September 23 20-week ultrasound
    How are you feeling?: Confused because I've gained 13 pounds already, but I don't know where the wait is going because I barely have a baby bump. I'm hoping that I'm not gaining weight in other areas. I was hoping to only gain 15-20 pounds total. Also, anxious for my 20-week ultrasound.
    Rants/Raves: Today, I received my alpha fetoprotein test results and everything looks normal. I'm still waiting on my husband's cystic fibrosis carrier results. It's been three weeks since he did the lab work.
    Questions: None. I'm sure I'll think of some in a day or so.
    GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names? We have a cat named Luci.

• Loading the player...
  • PaturkeyPaturkey member
    edited September 2022
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 17 w 5 d/ 16 Feb

Baby is the size of a(n): pomegranate

Upcoming Appointments: Fetal research scan Thurs, MW on Fri

How are you feeling?: I'm feeling pretty good. I'm not totally exhausted but I am very hungry. Like I am eating a normal amount but feel hungry all the time and it feels like I'm on a diet (which I am not). Just ate a whole box of mac n cheese for lunch, though so I am NOT hungry now 😂

Rants/Raves: Doing okay at the moment. I suddenly have a lot of work to do and my, my son's and my daughter's birthdays are all happening in the next few weeks so I just need to stay really organized. Rave - I just bought a new monstrous Ikea Pax wardrobe for my bedroom which will nearly double my storage space but not take up too much more floor space (it's much taller and a little wider which makes a huge difference). The pieces will be delivered next week and although I don't want to build it, I can't wait to actually have enough space to put all my things. I really want the whole house to be organized before baby gets here.

Questions: natm

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names? I do! We got a new kitten in February and she's an adorable black cat. My previous cat died last October at the great age of 18! He was with me my whole adult life. The new girl is sweet; she's my first female and first non-tabby. The kids really love her but my son and I are having a LOT of conversations about consent regarding his handling of the cat.

@seeds_of_joy That must be so satisfying to get rid of those old clothes! I can't wait for the baby to outgrow the crib just so it can stop taking up space in my house.

@karbaud Luci looks so sweet!

@ttc3y Have a great time on the East Coast! There is something so relaxing about being back in your home culture. And enjoy all the home-cooked meals your mom is making you, that sounds amazing!

ETA bold to the questions
  • @karbaud Weight gain and shifting has been rough on my body image, too, and I find it helpful to think about where the weight is actually going. Overall, you’re adding the weight of your baby (6-10 lbs), placenta (1.5 lbs), amniotic fluid (2 lbs) additional blood volume (3-4 lbs), breast tissue (1-3 lbs), larger uterus (1-2 lbs), increased fluid retention (2-4 lbs), and some additional fat stores, so an awful lot of the weight gain is genuinely very temporary even though it feels like a lot. Just delivering the baby and placenta and amniotic fluid is at least 10 lbs (although obviously you won’t look the same as you did 10 lbs ago right after, and if you have IV fluids you’ll be a little extra swollen all over so I wouldn’t recommend stepping on a scale right then, either). If you want to make sure your weight expectations are reasonable for you, talk to your OB. 

EDD / Weeks + Days: 19+3

Baby is the size of a(n): mango

Team blue/pink/green: blue

Upcoming Appointments:  October 6

How are you feeling?: Mostly good, but I’ve been having headaches. Not sure if it’s pregnancy-related or changing seasons or stress (work has been STRESSFUL these last few weeks) or some combination, or the return of my migraines that I haven’t had since I had my IUD removed. Whatever it is, I hope it stops soon, because it’s not fun, especially with Tylenol as my primary relief option.

Rants/Raves: My BIL and his wife have 8 dogs, only 3 of which are fully housebroken. They want to come stay with us this weekend with 2 of them (not the trained ones) while they go to 2 football games in our area, and we just… can’t. I’d love to see them, I love dogs, but the last time they brought these two we had to get out the carpet cleaner 11 times in 2.5 days. Not thrilled about the conflict this is stirring up, but we’re viewing it as practice for the much stricter boundaries we’ll have to establish around their dogs and the baby. The wife has been bitten 3 times in the last year, so we’re not talking about the normal low baseline level of risk with well-behaved, well-adjusted dogs, either.

Questions: Anybody else anticipating lots of family conflict over something similar? They bring some combination of poorly adjusted, poorly trained dogs to holidays and family trips, so while holding the boundaries in our house is simple enough, it’s going to be us vs them with my MIL and FIL in the middle for other places. Even though it’s mostly my husband’s issue to handle, the whole prospect stresses me out.

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names? 

No pets. My husband is allergic to cats and dogs, even poodle mixes and other less-allergenic breeds, though when they’re not allowed on furniture it’s less of an issue for him. So maybe eventually, but after moving to a house big enough for kids and a dog, we decided to go kids first ❤️.

• @Paturkey, my hunger kicked into super mode at about 17.5 weeks. I wasn't expecting it.

@fertile-turtle, I've been researching where all the weight goes as well. I talked about weight gain with my OB at my very first appointment. I was in tears and had a blood pressure of 140 over something because I was so anxious about being pregnant (even though we had planned it). It didn't go well. Lol. Based on my BMI, I read that I only need to gain 10-20 pounds. My OB said that I could gain up to 40 pounds. On one hand, it sounds great that she thinks I'm healthier and in better shape than I thought. On the other hand, there's no way that I'll be okay gaining 40 pounds. Right now, I feel like I'm on track for 30, and even that stirs up feelings of panic. I anticipate many more cries throughout the pregnancy as someone who has weighed myself daily for 11 years. I'm tracking what I eat again too, so hopefully that helps a little bit.

No family conflict here. I doubt I'll get to see my family until next March after the baby is born since I was told by my OB that I shouldn't fly to visit them over Christmas. I may try to fit in a trip this October, but I'm not sure yet.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days:  18 weeks today

Baby is the size of a(n): sweet potato

Team blue/pink/green: green

Upcoming Appointments: October 7 for anatomy scan

How are you feeling?: still like crap 😫 I was having digestive issues and lots of bloating over the weekend so I was miserable. That thankfully has improved but I feel like the nausea is just my constant companion. So jealous that everyone else seems to be feeling better. 

Rants/Raves: I did get to go out for brunch twice this past weekend even though I was feeling crappy. That was nice.  My rant is as always how I’m feeling. 

Questions: none

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names?  No fur babies. I’d love a dog but that feels like a lot to take on now. Maybe when the kids are older. Everyone has a dog here though so my kids get lots of exposure to animals so that’s good. 
  • @karbaud I’d pay more attention to your doctor’s assessment than your BMI. As a researcher who works in the metabolism and exercise field, I know both how flawed BMI is and how difficult it can be to focus on less obvious and harder to measure parameters like body composition and waist/hip ratios, which are better measures of metabolic health (when you’re not pregnant, of course). And I say that as someone who hasn’t been a “healthy” BMI since puberty, even when I was a size 4 at 5’6”for a few years. BMI paints with a really broad brush and while it’s a good reference point, trust your 1-on-1 providers’ professional judgment more. That doesn’t necessarily make you feel better about the numbers, but I think adjusting your expectations based on your doctor’s assessment might be the right move.

One word of caution on tracking what you’re eating: tracking is fine, but if you feel like you need to restrict rather than just focusing on healthy foods, ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian (if you can get it covered by your insurance). You want to be confident that you’re getting the right nutrition for both you and your baby, and not gaining enough weight can be physically more dangerous for your baby than gaining too much. RDs are great in that they have advanced education specifically in nutrition, and some specialize in reproductive nutrition. They also often do telemedicine, so they don’t necessarily have to be super local to be an option. A good one should be able to help you balance your nutritional needs with your weight goals for the rest of your pregnancy and postpartum so you don’t have to feel like you’re winging it alone.
  • @fertile-turtle, thanks. Tracking is not so much about restriction for me. It’s to see how my macros are tracking and how many additional calories I’m actually eating to get a better sense of it all. I’ve always had to keep a food diary to understand how much I truly take in. I stopped for a bit while pregnant, but knowing that ‘eating for two’ doesn’t mean double your calorie intake (or even close to that), I just want to be aware again. I also might just want to have control over something/healthy eating, since I have very little control over my body right now.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 18W today

Baby is the size of a(n): Sweet potato 🍠 

Upcoming Appointments: Today with the high risk check-in, and in two weeks for another check-in and the 20 week ultrasound.

How are you feeling?: Pretty good- still sensitive stomach, carsick feeling a lot, exercise still feels wussy to me. I’m still in the same general place I’ve been with symptoms, but slightly better. This is by far my sickest pregnancy of the three. No idea why…

Rants/Raves: Rant- I’ve gotten so many stupid mosquito bites this pregnancy- do I taste really good right now?!?! Rave- My husband is really gaining some confidence in his new line of work, so that’s wonderful for our family. We were both forced to switch jobs when my parents sold their business right before the pandemic started, and I’m better at faking the confidence than he is. It’s a big relief to have him moving forward and feeling good. Rave- my older daughter started homeschooling again this past couple of weeks and I feel like we’ve got a pretty good rhythm going. 6th grade will be interesting, but I think she’s going to do really well. 

Questions: Is anybody else in the high risk or geriatric pregnancy group having to go to the doc every two weeks? It does feel a bit excessive and I’m not sure what we’re expecting to find…🧐

GTKY: Do you have fur babies or other non fur pets? What are they and what are their names? We have an adopted bischon frise rescue girl named Piper who we got about 3 years ago. She’s a sweet dog when she knows you, but she’s got some trauma from her capture and treatment that don’t make her a great dog around strangers unfortunately. With our toddler Ellie, they can be good friends, but she also pushes Piper’s buttons and gets nipped at. Needless to say, thank goodness Piper is a crate doggy and loves to hide away, lol. Our next dog when we have more yard space again will hopefully be one of those gentle giant types (or mid-size gentler dog). I’m tired of moody little dogs. 

• @karbaud totally fair! The lack of control that comes with pregnancy, even when it comes to my own body, has definitely been a mental challenge. Good luck, and I hope tracking gives you a better perspective of how your macros are doing and a sense of control.
  • @karbaud Did your provider check your thyroid recently? The demands on our thyroid can increase up to 50% within the first 16 weeks of pregnancy  (with changes happening as early as 5weeks). Weight gain could be a symptom of your thyroid unable to keep up with the demands of your pregnancy. Ideal TSH should be between 1-2.5. My TSH went up to 3.0 at week 6 of pregnancy and my fertility doc upped my thyroid med to keep up. 
  • @Paturkey I can definitely relate to having feelings of insatiable hunger. I seem to go through growth spurts where I’m hungry even after a large meal and need to eat more followed by fatigue and round ligament pain. 
  • seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited September 2022
    @fertile-turtle that's just crazy about your family's dogs. I would not be ok with people bringing dogs that bite people. We have a scary neighbor dog that attacked some of our children. Long story but I would not feel comfortable with a biting dog at family functions, especially with children. I've heard too many horror stories of (usually untrained) dogs killing little kids or ripping their faces off at least. 

@cpk3535 my parents have one of those little yippy dogs too. Every senior citizen at their apartment complex does. They sure are cute but I'm not sure if I could handle one. 😜. Are you only high risk because of your age? I had the feeling that I would be treated high risk if I were having a hospital birth too. When I interviewed an obgyn while I was still deciding she said things like "placenta ages out at 40 and you must get induced before 40 weeks" and other alarming things that steared me away. I usually deliver early and I'm choosing on my own to have an extra ultrasound later on in pregnancy to check my placenta but I don't know if all the extra stuff is necessary. Women have babies in their 40s all the time and always have. 

• @cpk3535 I'm in the geriatric camp (42 in a couple days!) and the only change to my protocol is that I get two extra growth scans, one at 32 weeks and one at 36 (otherwise it would just be the 12 and 20 week scans). I am also scheduled to have an "obstetrics review" whatever that is. Aside from that, it's standard and with the MW team.

@ttc3y and @itsjess627 Glad you're with me. I agree TTC with the fatigue and RLP coming after the hunger. And Jess I totally think I should be eating more protein at the moment. My sweet partner has been cooking and trying to up our veggie intake but it's just not filling me up enough 😂
  • @seeds_of_joy oh they definitely won’t be around our child. Untrained, unpredictable dogs and small, unpredictable humans don’t mix, and that’s non-negotiable. I suspect they’ll try to say that she’s only been bitten because she was trying to break up skirmishes between the dogs, which may be true but doesn’t make me trust them around my kid.

I’m just dreading the drama - they’re not exactly low maintenance people, and since my husband told them they couldn’t bring the dogs this weekend, it’s been radio silence. They’ve been annoyed when they couldn’t have the dogs other places before, and I don’t think they’re going to suddenly get more reasonable.
  • @fertile-turtle oh my...I can't imagine. 🙄 I like dogs too, but some people and their dogs!! So sorry you have to deal with this. Hopefully you'll be able to keep the peace and your carpeting and sanity in tact!! 
  • @cpk3535, I’m geriatric (age 38). Currently, I’ve been seen every 4 weeks. I believe my provider said that they would switch it to every two weeks around week 28.
  • @seeds_of_joy I might be looked at as high risk for my epilepsy AND my age? Not entirely sure, because I only had my last baby a couple of years ago and nothing’s really changed since then!!

I was also told yesterday that it’s becoming more standard protocol for everyone (young and old) to do the blood sugar test twice during pregnancy. Again, weird since two years ago I only did it once during the second trimester! So far, these appointments are just low key check ins. I took my 11yo with me, and they listened to the baby’s heartbeat, measured me on the table and did a quick urine test for various things (another thing I don’t remember doing every single visit last pregnancy). So far, they told me I’m gaining weight smoothly, measuring well and testing well. So far so good, thank goodness!! 😅
  • Another topic- I’m not sure if I want to try for a VBAC or schedule a c-section. Anybody else debating this? I would say that I healed better/quicker from a c-section, but I also think the vaginal birth has some benefits to the baby and/or mama. Any ideas??
  • seeds_of_joyseeds_of_joy member
    edited September 2022
    @cpk3535 it might be more the epilepsy! I'm probably not taking a glucose test. This probably sounds weird to most people. I took it with my first two and maybe my 3rd who was my biggest baby at 7 pounds 10 oz. I just skipped it with my last 2 home births because my midwife said my only risk factor was my age. My last baby was actually my smallest at 6 lb and 4 oz. If there's a reason at all to think I need to be tested I would but with age being the only reason so far, I'm probably going to skip it again. I'm having a lot of extra blood work done for other reasons and I'm more concerned with my placenta and having extra monitoring for that.