3rd Trimester
Options

Gestational Diabetes

kh7487kh7487 member
edited September 2022 in 3rd Trimester
Hi Ladies,

I went to my glucose test at 29 weeks. Long story short, i have GD but my doctor forgot to call me - he’s a good doc but somehow slipped up on this - so i didn’t know until 31 weeks. I’m 33 wks today and for the past 2 weeks have been finger pricking to check my numbers. My morning fastings are always a little high. He wants me at 90 and they are usually between 90-95. My question and concern is this: since i had GD but didn’t know (and even now that i do know - still have high numbers at times) is there potential harm to the baby? I have seen my OB twice since finding out and had ultrasounds both times and both times baby looked good. I am just so paranoid now that it could affect her at some point. I will see my OB thurs and imagine he will put me on medication then. Thanks in advance ladies. 

Re: Gestational Diabetes

• Options
    I've been told that the primary harm to the baby is that they can be large from being "overfed." It sounds like your sugars are at a reasonable level, if a little high (my fasting guidelines are below 95, so your "high" is my normal?). I'd try not to worry too much about it, as there's nothing you can do now except follow the diet and medicate if necessary. 
  • Options
    Yes I’ve heard some other doctors go by 95 as the morning fasting. If that were the case I’d be fine. Sigh, so much stress! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had GD as well and was so stressed about it. I felt such guilt and shame even though it's not something a mom can control getting at all. I had extra ultrasounds because they thought my baby was going to be 10+ pounds even though I was meticulous about my diet after the diagnosis. In the end, I had an 8 pound baby who was and is totally healthy. Please remember that all the worry and stress you feel is coming from your pregnancy hormones. If your doctor says the baby is looking good, believe them! And try to relax, a big ask, I know.