Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on double first names

My husband and I have been struggling with names, and there have been a few we're kinda okay with, but yesterday we finally found one that we both quite like. However, it would be a double first name (one from his culture, one from mine), in the same vein as MaryAnn or Billy Joe. Neither name is frequently found in double names (it's not like Mary or May or Lee, where you often find it in a combo), so we'd probably hyphenate rather than smash them together into a single word. Unfortunately, one of the names, while in the top 10 most popular names of my grandfather's country last year, would be difficult for an American to look at and know how to pronounce. Once you hear it, though, it's quite easy to say in many different accents/native language users.

Thoughts on double names? Do you have one? Does your child have one? Do you/they like it or hate it? Do you hyphenate or not? Any problems with school, official documents, etc.? We have no problem with him using either as a nickname, so we wouldn't be offended if he shortened it for daily use, though we'd probably introduce him as the full name until he chose which he liked for a short version, if he wants to shorten it. I know they're common in the Southern US and Francophone areas, but we don't live in either of those, if that matters.

Re: Thoughts on double first names