1st Trimester

COVID 10 weeks pregnant

Has anyone had COVID while pregnant in their first trimester? Was the baby ok when born? Does it depend on severity? Can’t seem to find any testimonies online.
TYIA

Re: COVID 10 weeks pregnant

• Not COVID, but I had a very severe case of the flu in very very early pregnancy, 3+4-ish, with fever of over 105 and basically unable to move for days. I was dead certain this would be the end of any embryo that I might have had at this point, but I'm now 15 weeks and baby seems to be developing just perfect <3 Obviously I have yet to give birth to a healthy baby, but my GP said that in early pregnancy/1st tri it's most often an all or nothing-thing: Either the exposure will result in such severe issues that it will cause early pregancy loss, or the pregancy will progress and the baby will be fine. 

A quick look at the research suggests that yes, COVID infection in pregnancy does indeed seem to increase the risk somewhat of adverse outcomes (mainly premature delivery, but also risk of pregnancy loss, stillbirth). However, it's important to note that the risk goes from a small number to a slightly bigger, but still small, number. Meaning that the vast majority of pregnant women who contract COVID during pregnancy will indeed go on to deliver healthy babies without any issues. Particularly if the infection is not severe and does not require hospital treatment. The data is mainly from earlier waves where infection was more likely to be severe, so if you "just" have cold-symptoms and a positive test, I would try not to worry too much about it, if I were you. 

Have you spoken to your GP? They might be able to put your mind at ease if you are having severe illness. Looking for testimonies online might be a double-edged sword, it could make you more concerned as these answers won't be representative. 

Hope you get well soon, and that you have a wonderful and unproblematic pregnancy!

• I had covid a few weeks ago, on my second trimester. I'm very science- minded, v so I searched for all the research I could find. As @justkp said, the risks of any adverse effect appear to be very small. Of you get covid in your third trimester, there seems like there may be an increase in preterm births and developmental disabilities. In your first trimester, increased risk of miscarriage. The newest research I've seen showed getting it at any point can lead to damage to the placenta, which you wouldn't know until the baby is born, and the damage does not correlate with the severity of symptoms (you could have really mild covid but a very damaged placenta, severe covid with little damage, etc ). Covid is still so new and changing, I think we have to accept a level of uncertainty. And also, accept that what's done is done - you got COVID and there's nothing you can do to undo that. Manage it the best you can (call your OB and GP), then try to let it go. My doctors were mainly concerned with fever (I was told to take Tylenol if I developed a fever) and didn't recommend Paxlovid unless I developed severe symptoms and needed it for that (there's nothing to indicate Paxlovid would lessen the pregnancy risks above, plus no good research showing it's safe in pregnancy, though also nothing showing it's harmful)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had Covid at 10-11 weeks pregnant. My baby is 4 weeks old and perfect by all accounts. I had a fever that I managed with Tylenol, a headache, and I was tired. Honestly, I’ve had 2 sinus infections while I was pregnant that were significantly worse than Covid. I’m not vaccinated. 
  • I was sick (for the first time in 3 years) with Covid for a little over a week when I did not even know I was pregnant, was about 4 weeks though. Only had a fever for one day but took advil and Tylenol because of some severe muscle cramps I had for 4 days. I am unvaccinated and week 11 now though and baby seems to be forming healthy and has a beautiful strong heartbeat :smile: I am not worried about it, from what I gather there is a chance he/she may even get my natural antibodies. I have heard if you get it in the third trimester that you have a chance of passing the sickness on to baby. I think your baby is fine though, would not worry too much.