January 2023 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms Monday August 22. 2022

Anything and everything for the week goes here :D 

Re: Weekly Randoms Monday August 22. 2022

• Options
    Due to the limited information on formula feeding from the get go anyone know how I get the colostrum out of my breasts but not go into a full milk cycle? Due to lifestyle and some other factors I can’t/don’t want to pump or breastfeed but do want my baby to get the colostrum to help with antibodies/gut coating bacteria. 
  • Options
    @anniez85 I am not sure it’s 100% possible to get colostrum without somewhat signalling to your body to produce milk. However you can start antenatal expression after about 38 weeks in pregnancy .. aka after a warm hot shower start hand expressing. You’ll only get like 1-5ml typically but if you store a few syringes in the freezer you could give baby that for the aforementioned benefits and then once baby is born wear a tight fitted bra with cold cabbage to stop your milk from coming in. You can also hand express like this after baby is out but the hormonal shift you have after birth would encourage your milk to come in much more than expressing antenatally. On the other hand if you wanted you could also look into buying donor breastmilk for the same benefits and not have to do anything with your boobs at all lmao! I am not sure your personal reasons as to why you don’t want to breastfeed but I really thought I didn’t want to with my first but ended up loving it 🤷🏻‍♀️ Also there is absolutely nothing wrong with just giving baby formula! My SIL did and she just also gave her baby biogia, it’s a probiotic supplement that helps baby’s digestive tract/ increase immune function and my niece is thriving! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @anniez85 I’m leaning in the same direction, since certain medications I need would be a bad idea to take while breastfeeding. Just wanted to offer support and understanding—you’re not the only one here in the formula camp! 
  • Options
    Thanks both! It’s a hard world out here trying to do what’s best for you and your family so appreciate the kind words and no judgement :) speaking to my midwife on Thursday. Let’s see how that goes.