3rd Trimester

SPD Misaligned Pelvis

Hi moms, i am 30 weeks now. At 23 i was told i have Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction which was causing pain in my pelvis, hips, butt and legs. After a few weeks of PT and continuing the exercises i felt much better. But then it got worse. I went back and she said my pelvis is shifted. The right side is more forward than the left which is causing pain. I started to see a chiropractor now to help hopefully realign my pelvis. I have only been to the chiropractor once and i know that’s not enough time to see a major difference but I’m wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how long it took to see it get better? I’m starting to feel sad that i can’t do normal activities/housework/play with my 3 year old. I’m just looking for some hope 😔

Re: SPD Misaligned Pelvis

• Do you have a support belt? I’ve not had SPD, but the people I know go have swear by them.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Yes i should have mentioned i wear that and it does help. However the chiropractor told me try to not rely on it as much bc that’s what’s causing my round ligament pains. She said the ligaments are soo tight likely bc i wear the belt all the time. I feel like i can’t win
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve had spd through two pregnancies and I’m sorry, it’s horrible. I will say though that it clears up shortly after delivery (although this time it got a little worse before it got better). I’m 2.5 weeks pp and it’s nearly completely better, I haven’t done any pt for it. 
  • Hello. SPD here too; PT and belt don't do anything. It's pretty horrible so I fully empathize with you. Hang in there, we're in the last stretch and after delivery it does improve significantly. 
  • Yes we’re in the home stretch, we can do it! 
  • It’s so painful. I could barely walk, just about crawled to bed a few times. I tried a chiropractor, but what I feel helped my mobility the most was an SI joint loc belt. Got it on Amazon for like $20. It goes much lower on the hips than a belly band or maternity support belt. Below the belly, so it hugs the pelvic joints and gives more stability. 
    Hope you find something to give you some relief! 
  • Get an SI belt like the Serola belt, it definitely helps. All my SPD pain went away within days of giving birth, even with breastfeeding, although for some, it takes until you've stopped breastfeeding. 

Continue with your PT, and don't forget to go postpartum as well!
  • @kh7487 not sure if you’re still looking for input here, but I went to a chiropractor and he was able to help identify specific muscles that are “overworking” and contributing to my pain. He did what he could to help readjust me as well as gave me some specific stretches to target the strained muscles. I am not 100% pain free but my pain has been drastically reduced! Could be worth seeing a chiro or PT if you’re able to