Weekly updates 8/15

EDD / Weeks + Days: 

Baby is the size of a(n):

Team blue/pink/green:

Upcoming Appointments: 

How are you feeling?: 

Rants/Raves: 

Questions:

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)?

Re: Weekly updates 8/15

• EDD / Weeks + Days: February 21st... almost 13 weeks 

Baby is the size of a(n): lemon

Team blue/pink/green: pink

Upcoming Appointments: next week I have some blood work with my dietitian type doctor and will find out if I have food allergies and hopefully get to the bottom of my digestion issues.

How are you feeling?: Good except a little ehh at night. It's getting better though.

Rants/Raves: not a rant or a rave but something weird and funny... my 8 year old was embarrassed and in tears because he rolled a cigarette wrong the first time. I told him not to feel bad because I'm 40 and don't even know how to roll a cigarette and it's not a life skill he needs to be learning. Apparently the neighbor (70 year old) was training him so he could roll his cigarettes and he just got a kick out of this for some reason. The second time he apparently got it perfect. I still don't understand why he was crying or even why he was rolling cigarettes in the first place. I had no part in this and it l probably sounds horrible. The guy wasn't having him smoke them at least. He's taught the kids useful things too like how to trap squirrels and gardening tips. He's actually a very wonderful guy, just has high "expectations" for the kids sometimes that sometimes are more on the unexpected side. 

Questions: anyone know of a roomy 8 passenger van?

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)?
    Butterfly by Crazy Town. If you haven't seen the video, look it up. Absolutely ridiculous. Everything that was wrong with the year 2000.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 13W and change

Baby is the size of a(n): Jalapeño 

Team blue/pink/green: Blue 💙

Upcoming Appointments: End of the month I have my first high risk doc appointment, so that will be cool! My parents are coming to visit so my husband can come in with me and they can watch our girls ❤️

How are you feeling?: Tired, not sleeping great, still sick on and off, dehydrated…but overall great! Lol 😂 

Rants/Raves: Rave- very grateful to my parents for helping us out. I’m actually going to a business conference next week, too, and they’re covering for that as well with our little dog, who we refer to as their fur grandchild, lol. Rant- terrible twos are hitting pretty hard right now, but hopefully by the time baby brother is here, we’ll be past that 🙄❤️🙏🤞 Another rave- my older daughter has been a huge help lately, turning into such a capable young lady. I’m soooo proud of her 🥹❤️ Another rant - where IS the new season of “Great British Bake-Off”?!?!? Come ON, Netflix, get on the ball!!!

Questions: Anybody else still feeling sick at almost 14 weeks? What the heck is up
    with this? Unrelated to pregnancies, any T-Mobile users having a lot of weird phone issues this last week? Not sure if it’s an iPhone thing or a T-Mobile thing. 

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? Let me see…that would be 1998 (I’m old), so one of my favorites used at my graduation was Green Day’s “Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)” and Foo Fighter’s “My Hero”. It was a pretty good song era…mixed with some crap (“My Heart Will Go On”, anybody?), lol 😂 
  • Loading the player...
  • @cpk3535 ahhh those songs seem like yesterday. I loved Green Day.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days:  12w 3d

Baby is the size of a(n): plum

Team blue/pink/green: Team Green! Waiting til birth!

Upcoming Appointments: I’ll be seeing my midwife at the of this month. I just made an appointment to see a pelvic physical therapist in early September to prepare my body for labor and delivery.

How are you feeling?: Better! My energy is returning and I am able to get more things done. I still have this persistent low grade nausea in the background though. I’m hoping it ends soon. I need to improve my diet and manage my blood sugars better but it’s hard with the nausea. It alters my appetite to want more on carbs and fruit instead of veggies and animal protein. 

Rants/Raves: Rant-  if you saw one of my posts on another thread, I discovered today that my NIPT test did not meet the threshold of the 2-4% fetal fraction to give me accurate results with the genetic testing. Yet the lab I drew from still had the gall to tell me I was low risk instead of inconclusive. It’s disappointing to find out that my NIPT test is unreliable. Fortunately, we did genetic testing before our IVF transfer and all 23 chromosomes checked out fine. I don’t think I’ll do the NIPT test again. I don’t think there was a good reason to do it in the first place. I did it because my midwife wanted it and I knew insurance will probably cover it because of my age. It just wasn’t worth contesting against it after I had grilled my new midwife for about an hour with my 1,000 questions about her philosophy and practice. I had other concerns that were higher priority such as finding alternatives for glucose testing. 

Questions: natm

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? As a lady of “advanced maternal age”,  one of my favorite songs that came out when I graduated was “Bye Bye Bye” by N’Sync. 
  • EDD / Weeks + Days:  2/26/23, 12+1

Team blue/pink/green: finding out

Upcoming Appointments: we have a consult tomorrow with a midwife on the island we live on, she will be our backup if we can't make it off the island. Then I have an OB appt on Friday for my next ultrasound. 

How are you feeling?: exhausted still, but good besides that. 

Rants/Raves: we've just been so damn busy. I can't stand it! 

Questions: none right now

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? "Sexy Back" Justin Timberlake. Haha that's the first that comes to mind. 
  • seeds_of_joy Haha, I laughed at that! Suppose there is no such thing as a useless skill, but hopefully rolling cigarettes will be as useless to him as any skill can be.  :D

--

EDD / Weeks + Days: 13+1

Baby is the size of a(n): Lemon 

Team blue/pink/green: We have a scan in 13 days to determine gender. Sooo excited! 

Upcoming Appointments: ^^This one! Also I really should get on to scheduling an appt with my GP: a) to discuss getting a COVID booster shot, and b) to find out when I should start to worry about the fact that I am still 2 kg under my pre-pregnancy weight. I feel I can't possibly eat any more food than I do, but I am starting to wonder if it may be harmful? Calculations say I should be 3-4 kg over by now. 

How are you feeling?: Starting to struggle with lower back problems. I am hoping I can continue playing competitive tennis until the end of the season (sep 10), and then only do a bit of social doubles play and hitting drills and stuff after. But tennis does seem to make it worse, which is concerning. Still on/off tired, but much better than it has been. Pregnancy seems manageable at the moment!

Rants/Raves: I found a wonderful private birth clinic (not too keen on hospitals atm), spoke to them and all was great and it felt like the right decision. Midwife led clinic, the midwife who would deliver would be same person you had contact with throughout the pregancy - and continue to have contact with after. Only natural pain relief, but I've a high pain threshold so I think (without knowing for sure??) that I would manage. Everything was perfect. I was low risk in terms of age, BMI, pretty much everything, and they figured I was a good candidate with the right reasons. But... turns out since I'm on asthma meds since childhood, they can't take me, legally, as I am not low risk enough. :( Despite the fact I've gotten medical clearance to take a diver's certificate etc (that should also be impossible with asthma, but it is so well managed and never caused me any issues). I'm a bit devastated tbh - I would not have thought this alone would put me outside of the "low risk" category. 

Questions: What's with this constant low level backpain, ay? Should I do something about it? Will it just go downhill from here? 

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? Train's Hey Soul Sister was possibly most played around here, I think, but released the year before. But in 2010 you also could not go anywhere without hearing Waka Waka (This Time for Africa). Also my country exited the world cup the day of my graduation party, speaking of soccer songs. :( 
  • @justkp right...I wasn't sure if I was supposed to be angry or amused. I told my husband and he laughed pretty hard. Then my eyes teared up. 

About the back pain, you could see a chiropractor. I usually get that too but I don't so far and maybe it's because my chiropractor is helping. I usually get back pain the opposite side of where I gained weight which is sometimes my chest but you probably haven't really gained weight yet by your stomach so I'm not sure if that could be it. My chiropractor said that in pregnancy, it's easier to injure yourself also.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 4/15+3

Baby is the size of a(n): orange

Team blue/pink/green: blue

Upcoming Appointments: Sept 7 anatomy scan

How are you feeling?: mostly fine, though sleep has not been my friend lately 😢

Rants/Raves: I’m at the point where my belly is growing but I still just look bloated but I can’t wear my regular pants anymore, so it feels like the worst place from a body image perspective. I can’t wait until I actually look pregnant, rather than sorta bloated with an elastic waistband…

Questions: not right now

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? Give You Hell by All American Rejects

• @justkp For me, last pregnancy was super healthy and weight gain was slooooow. Not only was I practicing/teaching yoga daily, but I had a retail job walking a lot. Weight gain didn’t really kick in till second trimester, and nobody seemed alarmed. Never hurts to check with the doctor, but I’m pretty sure they’ll say you’re fine, just super healthy and exercising a lot. So long as baby looks good! 
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 14 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): beet

Team blue/pink/green: green

Upcoming Appointments: next one is Sept 1. I just had one yesterday. 

How are you feeling?: ugh so sick still @cpk3535 still on that train with you. Also really bad pelvic pain. 

Rants/Raves: rant was super annoyed with my husband over the weekend because we went to his high school reunion and he basically ditched me. I threatened to walk home and finally got him to give me the keys so I could drive home. He didn’t get home until 2 in the morning and wanted to know why I was annoyed with him.

Questions: not at the moment 

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)?  Survivor by destiny’s child. 
  • @seeds_of_joy I'm sure the experience won't make a smoker out of him :D The perfectionism is quite sweet! 

Will definitely consider stopping by a chiro, thanks for the advice! I really would like it to not get any worse. I guess I'm just worried they'll tell me to take it easy more, and I struggle to relax when I don't play 😅

@cpk3535 Glad to hear they didn't find it concerning, I'm sure it will be the same with me. It's not like I don't eat or anything, I feel like I eat all the time, just burn off calories at the same pace 😂 I've been feeling confident enough it would come at some point, but I would have expected some gain by know. 
  • @justkp I second the chiro! I saw one during my second pregnancy and it was a big help. Find one whose Webster certified, if you can!
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 12th/14wk 3d

Baby is the size of a(n): A Peach! (and since her Daddy is from Georgia, this is our favorite comparison yet)

Team blue/pink/green: Pink 

Upcoming Appointments: IV infusions 8/22, 8/25, Routine OB 8/29

How are you feeling?: Always the same...stepping on the scale every day hoping to see the numbers go up and then worrying when they've gone down. 

Rants/Raves: I love my family, but these multi week trips home remind me why my mother and I do best with an ocean between us. Yay for dysfunctional families!  :s

Questions: None right now

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas was the song of the summer leading into my senior year. It can still get stuck in my head so easily!
  • kristinl492 Will def give it a go, although I might have to look for different certifications as I'm EU based :D I'm a physio by profession myself (haven't used my primary degree in years though, so I'm rusty) and around here there's a bit of scepticism between my profession and chiropractics. But honestly, I'm at a loss myself, so a different profession might be just what I need, my usual approach is "keep working out and give it 3 months, if it doesn't go away, THEN you start to have a problem", but I'm not really sure it applies to pregnancy! ;-) 

• @justkp I know medical education is very different outside the US, but I also am pretty skeptical of chiropractors. When my husband was determined to go to one for some back pain a few months ago, I asked a friend who is a doctor for recommendations. He generally knew who in our area was more evidence based and safe and who we should avoid, and I found that helpful. You could ask your midwife or doctor for similar recommendations, I’m sure they have a good idea of who’s in your area.

I definitely wouldn’t try to just wait it out though, I’m only 15+4 and already can kind of feel my back adjusting to my shifting weight (even though I’ve put on MAYBE 0.5 lb/0.2 kg). Plus relaxin makes your joints generally more vulnerable. Better to make adjustments and treat it earlier than to wait and have it get much worse and harder to fix.
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 1st/16w

Baby is the size of a(n): 

Team blue/pink/green: see below..

Upcoming Appointments: regular prenatal tomorrow. 

How are you feeling?: Much better. Not so tired or nauseous, but my pelvic pain has begun.

Rants/Raves: Just coming back from vacation so trying to catch up. As for the above question.. we are supposed to be doing a reveal Labor Day weekend, however I mistakenly saw the results in my MyChart. I clicked on the report for the NT scan, and under it it has images listed. I clicked on an image assuming it was an US image, and it was a scanned copy of the NIPT results. As soon as I realized what was going on I clicked out of it but I am 95% sure I know what it is. I have not gone back to look at it and will get final confirmation at our reveal. 

Questions: Nope

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? Sexy Back is one but also according to the Google, the number one was Crazy by Gnarls Barkley. lol
    Me: 34  DH: 34
    Married 10/28/17
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1 February '18
    Team Green turned Team Blue 10/15/18

TTC #2 January '21
    BFP June '21
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C July '21
    Jan '22 - started IF testing
    BFP Jan '22
    MMC/Blighted Ovum that led to D&C Feb '22
    BFP May '22

• EDD / Weeks + Days: Feb 5/ 15w3d

Baby is the size of a(n): Orange 🍊 

Team blue/pink/green: Finding out next month! 💕

Upcoming Appointments: 16 week checkup next Monday

How are you feeling?: Pretty good! Hungry constantly, craving milk and cheese, and my boobs hurt and feel heavy, but somehow that’s all better than 1st tri symptoms! Lol

Rants/Raves: Rant - Asked about getting on waiting list for the infant room at my daughters daycare and they estimate they won’t have any openings until Nov 2023 or early 2024 😳 So as a full-time working mom and primary earner for my family, going to have to figure out what to do with my new baby for the first 8 months or so 🫠 Maybe I can just bring a pack n play to my office 🤪

Questions: any tips for hip pain while sleeping? It feels too early for this, lol. I never used a pregnancy pillow the first time, but is it worth it??

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? Tik Tok by Kesha was the #1 song year I graduated 😆
  • @justkp whoops, totally didn’t realize you weren’t in the US! The Webster certification here is specific to pregnancy. I liked it because it’s so, so gentle. There was a little popping and cracking but nothing like a non-pregnant adjustment. She was able to release my round ligament and I felt an immediate difference in the usual round ligament pains. I didn’t even know it was thing til I went lol. I had gone because my SI joint pops horrible during pregnancy.  I asked my chiro to avoid my neck because that part freaks me out 😂

@fertile-turtle definitely second doing your research on the right one! I know chiropractors tend to be a love them or hate them kinda thing. I’ve really only gone during pregnancy and once while early postpartum. 
  • @ladykaty91 we’ve also been getting waitlist estimates from 12-18 months. I knew childcare was a mess, especially after the last 2 years, but I wasn’t quite prepared for this 😳. Now we’re debating having our retired parents come for a week at a time to bridge the gap, but that’s like a 2 month solution max, not a 6-12 month solution.
  • @justkp An alternative to chiropractic work is Cranial Sacral Therapy. It’s a lot gentler and can help gently manipulate your body (back, hips, etc…) back into alignment. My cousin in the UK was able to find a cranial sacral therapist and in fact, there are physiotherapists who will get certified in cranial sacral therapy. You might be able to find one in Ireland. You can find a practitioner through this website: https://www.upledger.com/
  • karbaudkarbaud member
    edited August 2022
    EDD / Weeks + Days: 15 weeks
    Baby is the size of a(n): Eggo waffle
    Team blue/pink/green: Blue
    Upcoming Appointments: My 16-week check-up is next week
    How are you feeling?: I've been getting bad headaches, but I think that's from the drastic temperature changes here. I'm getting a bit of my energy back, but my asthma is still a bit worse after having COVID twice recently. I would do anything to go back to my smaller breast size and to not feel breast soreness constantly!  :D
    Rants/Raves: Rant—I went to the dentist today and she asked me so many questions about my pregnancy. It's hard for me to get super excited when I talk about it as I always think about the worst case scenario also. I could tell that she was surprised that I didn't seem more excited. I'm not looking forward to this type of small talk in the future. I should mention that I'm super socially awkward and fail at small talk most of the time anyway. Rave—With all of that said, I've been excited to look at baby gear. I've made a list where I've narrowed my choices down to a few for each of the big ticket items. I've started to look at clothes too!
    Questions: Does anyone have reviews of the Elvie and/or Willow Gen 3 breast pumps? I'm trying to decide which hands free pump I'll want to go with.
    GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)?: According to Google, Avril Lavigne's 'Complicated' was the most popular song in August the year that I graduated from high school.
  • @kristinl492 I had a feeling of almost flu-ish wooziness this AM, kind of out of the blue! I’m also having the up and down nausea, maybe it’s a sort of metabolic flux side effect??
  • @cpk3535 maybe! I’ve been chalking it up to hormonal fluctuations, just like every other symptom lol. I had hot flashes in early pregnancy the first 2 times so this is like the opposite problem 😂
  • fertile-turtle I reckon that's a good idea, asking my other healthcare providers for recommendations. In my physio-prejudiced world, they're just cracking spines left, right and centre :D However, I've never been dealing with pregancy stuff before, so I'm not going to overhear a couple of good recommendations from experienced mamas! 
    It's wild, even with no or minimal weight gain, that we can still feel the body adjusting. Fascinating, really! 

kristinl492 Oh I wish we had such a pregnancy specific certification here, that sounds amazing! (Popping SI joints doesn't sound too unpleasant, though :/ For the moment I'm fortunately only dealing with the pain thing, there's no feeling of instability or anything. I think that would freak me out a bit more!) 

ttc3y I'll definitely have a look at this! I even had an aunt who practised this, but unfortunately had to give it up due to severe arthritis. I might ask her for recommendations. 

Thanks so much everyone <3 Will have a thorough look into your suggestions. For a (former) healthcare provider I'm embarrasingly ignorant of the alternatives out there, especially if they are outside our "regular healthcare system". 

• EDD / Weeks + Days: 2/16 - 14 weeks

Baby is the size of a(n): beetroot

Team blue/pink/green: Finding out

Upcoming Appointments: Soon for a NIPT, waiting on call back from doc

How are you feeling?: Still a bit queasy and tired but I've been traveling which doesn't help.

Rants/Raves: Well, I got my NT scan results back and I am at higher risk for Trisomy 21. However, the general risk for someone my age is 1 in 67, and my risk is 1 in 122 after the combined test. The NHS considers anyone over 1 in 150 to be higher risk. I got the call as I was in the uber on the way to the airport which was fun. But it means that I couldn't just get the NIPT done since I was leaving so I'm trying to organize it here in Italy. Should be fine but I'll have to pay for it which I wouldn't have done at home but that's just how it worked out. Thankful that I have the means to pay instead of waiting until I get home and then waiting another two weeks for those results. I'm just reminding myself that it is statistically very unlikely and looking forward to getting these results in. (Additional minor rant, my ex-husband is being a dick about me being pregnant and pretending to make it about the kids but really he's just big mad and wants to lash out at me. That's super fun.)

Questions: natm

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)? There were plenty but I think our graduating class voted "Fantasy" by Mariah Carey as our favorite song that year :) I can see there are others around my age from some of your songs as well as much younger folks since I don't even know them 😂
  • Paturkey Sorry to hear your hubby is being a bother - he is after you for being pregnant? That hardly seems fair :/ Also good luck with the NIPT results, fingers crossed for good results. Lower risk than average for your age group is a good start!  
  • @justkp Thanks! 🤞🏼 It’s my EX-husband who’s being a pain. That’s par for the course for him. 🙄
  • @Paturkey Ah, sorry. Still a pain, but at least when it's the ex you can kindly shut the door after him!  >:)
  • EDD / Weeks + Days: 12 w 5d

Team blue/pink/green: green

Upcoming Appointments: 14 week prenatal a little early on Tuesday 

How are you feeling?: Ok! Still tired but less so. Some insomnia... Waking up at 4am about every second day. Bloating and alternating between constipation and diarrhea and just super gassy. But ok overall, nothing too crazy. 

Rants/Raves: got my nipt results back this morning and all is well. And I got the doctor's ok to get a fetal Doppler so am using that every few days for reassurance 

Starting to look for baby stuff like stroller, carseat etc and I'm already overwhelmed

Questions: not right now!

GTKY what was a popular song the year you graduated from high school (or the last year you were in high school)?  I had to look but JT rock your body 🤣