December 2022 Moms

Feeling sad about the nursery

So we live in a 2 bedroom apartment, the second room not technically being a bedroom, more like a size for an office. Thats the room we will set up the nursery in, but really all it can fit is a crib and dresser. I know nurseries are mostly just aesthetics and for the parents more than the baby, but I can't help but feel sad that it's all we have for her. We are hoping to get a house in the next year or two, but with the market being so crazy it's not certain. I know it's the least of what I could be worrying about, I just needed to express the feeling. Is anyone else in a similar situation?

Re: Feeling sad about the nursery

• Definitely. We live in a (big) 1-bedroom, and do have to be creative about modifying our dining room that’s been doubling as our home office (with two desks). Our baby won’t have their own room at all until we move into a larger place…someday. The housing market is horrible, and inflation is crazy. I get worried about it sometimes, but try to focus on how lucky we are to have a nice place now for a good price, in a really nice area. The rest will come ❤️
  • I totally relate! When my first was born, we lived in a one bedroom apartment, and it was definitely a squeeze. Now we're finally in a 2-bedroom townhouse that fits all of us, and I'm pregnant again. Here in California, housing prices are crazy, so I don't know when we'll be able to move, especially considering full-time childcare is going to cost $3500+/month for the two kiddos! Luckily, the baby won't mind that space is tight, and it's recommended to have them sleep in your bedroom for the first 6mos-1 year anyways :)
  • Loading the player...
  • My ex and I had moved in with my parents when I had my daughter. I just had a crib in a corner. It definitely made me sad to not be able to really decorate for her. Hugs to you for sure
  • We own our home, so what we have is what we will have; it's not likely we'll be moving in the next several years or more. We have a 3 bedroom, but my teen stepson has one room, and we also do foster care, and my in-laws are moving in for a couple of months when the baby is born. So one room for us, one for stepson, and one that will be the in-laws once baby comes (and then maybe for a foster kiddo after that; it's our largest room, so if we have more than 2 kids in the house, that's the shared bedroom). So there is and will be no nursery. Baby will stay with us in our bedroom for at least the first 6 months (AAP recommends a year), and we already have a crib set up in our bedroom. But that's it, there's no baby decorating; baby will move into what's now the guest room (and will likely continue to be a guest room in addition to his room, since my in-laws visit for long periods yearly) probably around his first birthday, and that's quite a ways away, so I'm not thinking about it yet.

Though I do get some sad twinges when I see pictures of cute nurseries, what really helps me is knowing that I'm doing the best thing for my baby by NOT having a nursery! Having a cute nursery is fun, but keeping baby in my room for 6-12 months keeps him safe and alive, which is so much more important. So when I feel sad, that's what I think about and it's definitely comforting.
  • My husband is in the army and although we own a 3 bedroom house right now and it’s just the two of us, we won’t be living here anymore once the baby comes because he’ll be receiving orders to a new duty station when i’m around 8 months along. Depending on how long it takes to find housing and get settled we may not have a nursery by the time baby comes at all. Our location is still up in the air so we can’t even begin to look for housing yet, and once we do they may still restrict us to a one bedroom if we live on base. You’re not alone in your worries! I just keep trying to remind myself our baby is entering a family that loves and cherishes them more than anything, and that matters way more than any bedroom size or aesthetic.
  • Same. Our nursery is half of our bedroom. All our friends with a separate nursery said they didn't use it for the first 8 or so months. Hopefully we can move to a larger place when they get more mobile, we'll see what the market has in store.