March 2023 Moms
Options

**TW** Spotting/Bleeding/Threatened MC Thread

This thread is for support and questions around spotting/bleeding. 🖤

Conversations surrounding these issues can be discussed here freely. The TW in the title applies for the whole thread. Please beware of reading ahead if you think you might be triggered by conversations about spotting/bleeding. 

Finally, remember that most of us are not medical professionals, and even if we were, it's always best to call/visit your doctor with questions or concerns. Feel free to ask questions and voice concerns, but please do not expect anyone here to be able to offer you anything but support. The most important thing to do is to call your doctor. They can offer answers; we can offer support. 🖤

Copied from January/Feb 2023 BMB’s. 

Re: **TW** Spotting/Bleeding/Threatened MC Thread

• Options
    I didn’t see this posted yet but I know it’s been helpful in other BMB’s. I don’t think we had these back when I had my losses and I figured it would be helpful for anyone having concerning symptoms to have a place to talk if they want to. 
  • Options
    Hi I'm experiencing spotting and cramping at 7 wks doc said as long as its not red blood no worries but this feels like a Mc- anyone else have spotting and cramping and having a normal ultrasound. I'm very skeptical:( 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi, I’m 7 weeks and 1 day and I experienced dark red blood with a clot in it last Monday (6 weeks, 3 days). But it was only when I wiped and nothing more. I experienced more bleeding this morning after having sex this morning but this has been bright red and continues to drip when I go to the bathroom (I’ve put a panty liner on and it’s not excessive but I’m still drippy). I took two blood tests this past week and got the result for the first which at 6 1/2 weeks had me at 15k hcg levels. I’m trying to be patient and wait for the second test results but feeling pretty anxious. Anyone have a similar experience? Is this likely a miscarriage? First ultrasound isn’t until the 15th. This is my first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I bled with three pregnancies, two of which ended in loss and one that ended up with DS. I bled the most with the successful pregnancy (filling pads in matters of seconds), so there is hope. There is a condition called subchorionic hemorrhage, which is somewhat common and can cause bleeding if it is large enough. Not saying that’s the case for anyone here, but there are bleeding conditions that don’t necessarily lead to loss. Hugs! Hoping for the best for everyone. 
  • Options
    We just got back from our trip a few days ago. The day we got back, I spotted brown blood for an hour. My clinic was closed the next day (Friday) and I stopped bleeding so I thought I could wait it out til Monday. But 2/3 am Sunday, I woke up to pee and sat down on the toilet to a large gush of bright blood. Bleeding stopped quickly and I monitored it the rest of the night then I woke DH up first thing in the morning and we went straight to the hospital. They did a bunch of bloodwork and 2 ultrasounds. The ultrasound tech was extremely kind to me and let me see the baby during the ultrasound even though she's not allowed to. Baby was measuring right on track with a HB of 178 and I even got to see the baby wiggling and moving around.
    They ended up diagnosing me with a suspected uterine fibroid and a large ovarian cyst on my left side, although they apparently couldn't find my right ovary. My follow up appointment is on Wednesday and I'm on pelvic rest until further notice 
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @mytrueloves how scary! Glad everything turned out (mostly) ok, and especially glad that the ultrasound tech was kind enough to let you see for yourself!
  • Options
    @mytrueloves I’m glad all is well with baby and hoping the bleeding slows down!
  • Options
    Never properly introduced myself but I am 7 weeks and started spotting yesterday. A good bit of blood but only in the discharge and hasn’t stopped overnight. Wasn’t planning to have a baby but got v attached in the two weeks I have known. Have a doc appt in two weeks and don’t really want to take off for bad news so waiting it out…
  • Options
    @nannytillnow hoping for the best for you! 
  • Options
    officially out. Y’all enjoy those beautiful babies 💙
  • Options
    @nannytillnow I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care I'd yourself. Huge hugs. ❤️
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nannytillnow I'm so sorry for your loss
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    I had a bit of spotting all day yesterday and this morning for the first time this pregnancy. Given my history of loss, I wrote my doctor and nurses, who told me to go the ER today. They found no bleeding or causes, and baby was doing fine. So thankful. The day before the spotting started, I had sex and also helped my husband move a heavy bed - we were turning it around in a small space and had to lift one end in the air for several minutes. I think all that plus straining on the toilet probably caused the spotting. The silver lining is that I got an extra look at the baby out of it.
  • Options
    @missmuisq I’m so glad to hear that you and baby are okay! 
  • Options
    I got up from the couch last night and felt a gush, thought I peed myself. Went to the bathroom and I was covered in blood. I’ve had a SCH before at 8 weeks (16 weeks now) and so I panicked big because the last SCH I barely bled and just spotted. Waited 4.5 hours at the hospital to be seen and they did an ultrasound and blood work. Baby was totally fine, bouncing around and making faces. Everything on my blood work came back great but I’m very anemic now due to the huge blood loss. 
    If you’ve had a SCH, I feel for you. It’s such a huge mind F. 
    Apparently SCH is very common in an IVF pregnancy, I just wish it was more known. 
  • Options
    @babymac4321 how terrifying!!! So glad you and baby are ok, but I’m sure you’re shaken by that! How are you feeling? 
  • Options
    @babymac4321 I'm so sorry that happened to you. It's absolutely terrifying. That's exactly how I discovered my SCH this time around as well. I had one with my oldest but I only ever spotted. How are you doing now?
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    @babymac4321 omg that’s terrifying! I’m so glad that you’re OK, and so is the baby. How are you doing emotionally/ mentally after that? 
  • Options
    Thanks for the concern ladies, I’m so sorry you had a SCH too @mytrueloves it’s so scary!!! 
    I’m absolutely terrified to go to the washroom but I had a scan today because of Saturdays bleeding and saw that the baby is still kicking away and measuring right on track. Also got some of the cutest pictures ever. I think I’ll be worried until this baby is out then I’ll be worried until the baby is 18. And then worry more lol. I go back to work tomorrow and I’m actually looking forward to the distraction. 
  • Options
    @babymac4321 I'm glad that everything is ok! There were a few ladies in my last bump group who've had SCH and I can't even imagine how terrifying that is!
  • Options
    I thought I’d share my story because it may be useful to anyone who experiences something similar. I had a positive pregnancy in late June; it was confirmed a few days later. But the doctor said my HCG levels looked low and he wanted follow up blood tests done. I followed up and HCG was rising normally — huge relief. 

Around six weeks I started spotting. Just a little bit, around the same time everyday (6-7 pm). My mom told me she spotted when she was pregnant with me so I wasn’t that concerned. But I called my doctor and he had me come in for another blood test. My HCG was high and he said there was no reason to be concerned. 

I kept spotting for about ten days. I was concerned it was going on so long. (My mom said she only spotted with me during the four days her normal period would have occurred). So I went back for a follow up test. My HCG continued to be where it should — around 50,000 and climbing. 

In week 8 the spotting stopped and I was pleased. Then one day I was putting books away in a shelf in my new house, and I felt a sudden gush. It was like, how it is in TV when your water breaks. Except it was all blood. I was just bleeding everywhere. Not knowing what to do and being scared, I just laid down on the floor with my thighs clamped shut (as if that would keep the baby in!) and called my husband, who was running errands. He came to get me and took me to the ER. 

At the ER, they determined I wasn’t in any pain and my vitals were stable, so they left me for hours, telling me there was nothing they could do if I miscarried. I’d come in at 5 pm and hadn’t eaten dinner and was still pregnant — I was starving. Because of covid protocol, they wouldn’t let my husband wait with me. They gave me pads and I proceeded to bleed. And as I waited, I googled symptoms of a miscarriage at 8 weeks and saw exactly what you’d expect to see: bleeding, cramps etcetera. 

At some point, I got up to get some water and I felt something solid drop down between my legs. With total nausea, I limped over to bathroom and sat on the toilet, and a large bloodclot fell out of me, about three inches long. It smelled terrible. It smelled like rotting flesh. 

Id already googled images what a miscarriage at 8 weeks looked like, and they said it would look like a liver — a dark bloodclot — and would smell like a dead body. I knew that’s what had happened. I couldn’t bring myself to fish it out of the toilet bowl so I flushed it down the toilet. 

Id been in the ER for 8 hours at that point. It was 1 am and I still hadn’t eaten. I went over to the nurses and said I was pretty sure I’d just miscarried and was there any point in my staying in the hospital? Was there any medical reason?

That was when they finally brought me into the back: I had threatened to go home. 

I called my husband and he came with me for the ultrasound. To say I had no hope would be an understatement. I just wanted a doctor to say that all the tissues had passed and I wouldn’t need any further medical measures. 

But we were given the ultrasound, and there was a healthy heartbeat. I saw my baby for the first time: it was a little bean — I could clearly see a head — and a heart rate of 179. 

Shock doesn’t begin to cover the reaction. I didn’t even cry. I was so stunned, and numb, from what we had just gone through. I’d had eight hours in an ER to accept I was miscarrying and, finally, I had accepted it. 

We drove home. The next day, i saw my doctor and he gave me another ultrasound and the baby was doing just as well the next day. I was given print outs of the ultrasound and my doctor told me to take it easy and that, at the point a threatened abortion happens, there’s about a 50% chance of miscarriage. I told him I was supposed to go to Canada the next week to have my wedding (our wedding was delayed many times during covid). He advised me to just try to take it easy and if anything happens in Canada, go to an ER. 

For a week, we were fine. I had stopped bleeding. I was taking it easy. My family was sensitive to my needs and all my bridesmaids pampered me. 

Then it happened again. I was sitting on a couch ordering Thai food with my sister and a gush of blood flowed out of my legs. 

This time I didn’t panic. I went upstairs and put on a pad and laid down. My cousin is a doctor and she told me to go to the ER first thing in the morning rather than in the night — I’ll wait less and be in less discomfort. There wasn’t as much blood as the last time so I was less freaked out. 

I went to the hospital the next day and received the same result: the baby was totally fine. Great heartbeat. She was bigger now. I could see legs and arms. 

For about two weeks, I bled everyday like I was on my period (well, a light period). I wore a pad. I worried constantly. I got through my wedding, which was nice in spite of the scare. Then my husband and I drove back home to Virginia and got an ultrasound right away. We were referred to a high risk pregnancy doctor because my doctor was at a loss as to what was going on. They gave me another ultrasound and said the baby was doing well. 

We opted for NIPT test and found there were no obvious chromosomal abnormalities, and we were carrying a girl (which we both had really wanted).

Now we are at 18 weeks. I haven’t bled since my 12th week. I have a solid bump and I feel my baby move every day. Our due date is March 3. The anatomy scan is booked for Monday Oct 10. 

I just thought I would share this story because it’s quite unusual and — so far — has a happy ending. 🥰
  • Options
    Hi, I have a similar story... it started with light bleeding at 5 weeks. I was checked out multiple times at clinics - the HcG levels were fine, the ultrasounds showed a healthy growing baby. Everything was cinema with the pregnancy! Finally at 9 weeks I had my first prenatal appt with my doctor and she was astounded no one had ever checked my cervix and done a physical exam with a speculum (only ultrasounds!). She did one and saw immediately I had a large cervical polyp coming through and opening my cervix that was necrotic (dying). I had fortunately had a PAP smear in May so we weren't concerned about cancer. I saw an OB who scheduled a surgery to remove it when I was 14 weeks pregnant. At 12 weeks pregnant one morning I started bleeding more heavily than ever before (more than a previous miscarriage or after the birth of my daughter). I went to the ER. Everything checked out fine with the baby on ultrasound, it was just the polyp again. But it was terrifying - I was passing massive blood clots and seemed like I was bleeding out. Even pads and diapers couldn't contain all the blood! The bleeding stopped that day and I was admitted to the hospital and three days later they did a surgery to remove the polyp. The surgery was 15 minutes (I was under general). It's been about 6 weeks since and I haven't had any bleeding or issues at all. 

If you continue to bleed - please make sure someone checks you out for a polyp or a fibroid! I had 5 weeks of bleeding and 3 visits to the early pregnancy loss clinic before they figured out what was going on and a simple cervical exam found the cause right away!