February 2023 Moms
Options

COVID + during pregnancy?

Just got a rapid positive back today… anyone else experience COVID through pregnancy? I’m only 9w2d

Re: COVID + during pregnancy?

• Options
    I had Covid the same weekend I found out I was pregnant, actually.  I was super nervous because of it, but I’m vaccinated + boosted, so never had a fever, though my HR was super high for about 48 hours (and I laid on the couch alternating body armour and water while awake for those 2 days). I took it VERY easy coming back to normal activities after. Definitely call your doctor and let them know! Hopefully you feel better soon.

Once you’re feeling better, if you haven’t yet, change your name to something other than knottieXXXXX so we can get to know you. ☺️

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I tested positive for Covid at 8w5d, and ended up getting a low grade fever that lasted for about 24 hours. It was super nerve-racking but my doctors were very reassuring and I’ve had two appointments since where everything looked good! Hope you feel better soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had COVId the week I found out I was pregnant too! My doctor has been very reassuring. Take care of yourself - lots of fluids and rest!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I know it’s scary but try not to panic, because Covid during pregnancy doesn’t cause fetal harm. Still definitely call your provider and let them know. Covid seems to be harder on pregnant women (like every infectious disease) but doesn’t cross the placenta or directly harm the baby. Your doctor may just have some specific recommendations or treatments they want you to stay away from, or they may tell you what symptoms you should see a doctor about since Covid can be extra rough during pregnancy and treating it before it’s really severe is easier on you and your baby. They also may want to monitor your baby more closely toward the end of your pregnancy, because there is some evidence of Covid causing placental insufficiency eventually, but chances are that you will both be ok.

Edited for more clarity, but please, don’t panic, do call your provider, and for anyone who doesn’t have Covid (even if you had it recently), talk to your trusted providers about what vaccines are appropriate for you and when and what preventive measures you should be taking. As a bonus, since we’re all going to be pregnant through the worst of flu season and we’re all extra vulnerable, those same measures will protect you from the flu.
  • Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    @fertile-turtle While I don’t want to freak out the mothers here too much and while most pregnant women and their babies survive if they get sick with COVID, I don’t think we should take COVID too lightly either. Concerning data is listed below and it may be triggering. Read when you are in the right headspace below. 

There is data that shows increase risk of miscarriage, complications, and stillbirth if a pregnant mother gets sick with COVID. Pregnant mothers who are unvaccinated against COVID are 22x more likely to end up in the ICU than mothers who are fully vaccinated. I recommend a blog written by Dr. Aviva Romm (Midwife and Yale trained MD) who talks about the risks here if you want to learn more:  https://avivaromm.com/covid-19-in-pregnancy/

While I don’t have scientific data, the Doula I hired who has been working with pregnant women through the pandemic has been seeing her clients who got sick with COVID deliver babies with smaller birthweight and significantly smaller placentas (like the size of a hand) or weirdly shape and colored placentas. It is unknown if the mothers are vaccinated or not. While the moms and babies are doing fine, those stats are not ideal when delivering a baby and associated poorer health outcomes in general. I am hoping to see more data on that as well.  

I consider myself a part of the vulnerable population when it comes to COVID and being pregnant. Prior to pregnancy, I was fully vaccinated and boosted. And with the current COVID surge sweeping the US, I wear a high quality mask (N95, KN95, or KN94) to all public indoor locations. I still socialize in small groups but ask my friends (most who are COVID conscious and understanding) to rapid test before coming. 

For me this pregnancy is deeply precious since we had a long 3 year journey to conceive and went through IVF. I will do anything to protect my family. I guess everyone needs to evaluate their risk on their own terms. 
  • Options
    @ttc3y From all of the info out there, I’m also of the mindset that since I’m now in one of the most vulnerable populations with Covid, I’ve gone back to masking and limiting larger social events. Our family has been VERY Covid-conscious the entire pandemic (and we are still pretty pissed at the family member who knowingly and carelessly exposed us by lying, and is the reason my son and I got it two months ago - and my son ended up with pneumonia, and I was very scared those first few weeks about miscarriage). I definitely agree with you that it needs to be taken seriously and not brushed off as nothing, and it’s pretty dangerous for anyone to be saying it’s no big deal. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited July 2022
    Deleted ❤️
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Deleted ❤️
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    @cpk3535 @runningyogimama @ttc3y I want to be clear that I was not saying that Covid shouldn’t be taken seriously or prevented, but rather that the thing to do once prevention has failed is to call your doctor and not panic. Upon rereading, I saw how my word choice to start gave the wrong tone, so I’ve gone back and edited it. 

I do think that if we want to have a more detailed conversation about the risks of infectious diseases including the ongoing pandemic, the emerging monkeypox outbreak, and even the upcoming cold and flu season, that’s something we should start elsewhere, instead of on a thread where someone who is currently sick is looking for the right thing to do now and probably a little reassurance.
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle No worries, I’m not offended by anything, and I’m not saying that COVID definitely caused anything at the end of my last pregnancy, just that it’s crossed my mind. Not trying to scare anybody, just sharing an odd story that timed itself well with the pandemic. Sorry to scare people!! Never my intention. I apologize, and I’ll probably just remove my post. I don’t want to cause more stress than we’re all already experiencing. My apologies ❤️
  • Options
    @cpk3535 I think it’s good to share experiences! Not to scare, but just to make people aware. Just with the state of the world, I’m sure this thread will remain active through the entirety of our pregnancies.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @cpk3535 I just realized I tagged the wrong person, I’m sorry 🤦‍♀️. Your post wasn’t even the one that I let get to me. I’ll probably delete all of my earlier replies and try again with a (hopefully!) clearer head and language tomorrow. It has been an absolute monster of a day, and I definitely need to reset and start over.
  • Options
    @fertile-turtle oh, good!! I'm sorry, I was really worried I had seriously offended with my story. I didn't mean to at all, and I definitely don't want to scare people. I know my story about Ellie's birth sounds a little freaky. I was really confused about what happened at the time, but I have no confirmation AT ALL that it had anything to do with COVID, that was just me left wondering after the fact. We'll start over tomorrow!! :)
  • Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    @fertile-turtle @runningyogimama @cpk3535 Clearly my post struck a nerve and I felt a need to respond. First of all, I truly believe that everyone here is responding with the intention of being supportive and having the best interest of everyone in mind. There are many different ways to be supportive. Definitely reassurance is one way. Another is to inform. Both can be helpful and timing and tone do make a difference which can be easily misconstrued in this type of form of communication. 

Please know that my intent was no more than to support our community by informing them about potential complications from what I believe is a trustworthy resource. Knowledge is power and by doing so, my intent was to empower our community as we go through this incredible pregnancy journey together and to keep each other healthy and strong. I’m going to leave my original post as is which can remain as a resource for those who want to be informed. I appreciate everyone in this group and grateful I’m not alone on this journey. ❤️