3rd Trimester

Baby’s head measuring big at 32 weeks

Hi! I had an ultrasound this week (32w6) to check on my placenta which had been quite low at the 20 week us- and great news- it moved up and I am cleared for vaginal delivery. The us technician checked baby’s  organs and measured a few things and he is healthy and looking so cute:) 

But then she kinda scared me when she measured his head and said it is big- 95th percentile. Any moms on here with experience having babies with larger heads? Did baby have trouble coming out? Were you referred to C-section? I see my OB this week but am feeling anxious❤️

Thank you for any advice mamas 💐

Re: Baby’s head measuring big at 32 weeks

• dobiemom11dobiemom11 member
    edited July 2022
    Our son had a large head and I am petite.  He did have some trouble coming out and I was pushing for over 3 hours.  The midwife said she could see him rotating his head around a lot trying to get into the best position.  A c-section was mentioned since I had been in labor for so long (I was induced which made the process quite long) but then he arrived.  

He did end up in the NICU for about a week.  Throughout the process, he inhaled a bunch of fluid and wasn't able to breathe properly.  There really isn't anything they do for that except monitor while they wait for the fluid to clear.  It isn't really clear to me if the larger head or one of a myriad of other factors (long labor, the Dr breaking my water, him having trouble breathing on ultrasound, the induction) led to the fluid inhalation. He is now a very rambunctious perfectly healthy 18m old.  

You should mention the larger head percentile and your concerns to your doctor.  They will know what is best for your specific case.  Wishing you the best of luck!

Edited to add after reading the next post: I only had a level 2 tear that required some stitches.  It healed pretty easily.  I was in three months of physical therapy to repair my pelvic floor.  
  • My kiddo after born had a head measurement in the 98th percentile.  

I pushed for 2.5 hours.  After that, they told me that if baby didn't come soon a c-section would be needed as 3 hours of pushing was their "limit" and I was exhausted.  

She was delivered within the next 15 min. 

I will not sugar coat it - it tore me apart.  I was 3mm away from having to go to the OR, as I tore almost to the rectum.  I needed many stitches and that was a rough recovery.  

Would I do it again - yes. 

It was so worth it, in the end. 

Also remember ultrasounds can be off, mm are a big deal.   My level 2 MFM doc said it is anything from human error to how the scan is done, etc.  

So just my story, take it with a grain of salt. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for sharing mamas❤️ And 🙌 for pushing so hard for your precious babies.
  • I wouldn’t worry too much about it! If doctor is concerned they will bring it up. But I wouldn’t jump right to c-section.
  • Both my boys heads after birth were in the 95th percentile and I birthed both vaginally- no issues. If your doctor isn’t worried, I wouldn’t worry until there is a reason to. 
  • Both of mine had very large heads. Only had issues with #1 because she was OP. Came right out after OB flipped her. 2nd tear with her, and only a first degree with my second kid. 
  • I just went thru the 28 w ultrasound to check the placenta that was low at 21 weeks too, the placenta went up. Then a doctor came in and said my cervix had shortened from 38 mm to 20 mm. I was concerned but then I eventually saw the report thru my midwife and the HC was what scared me the most, the opposite of yours at 21 weeks was 33% and now is < 3%. Nobody said a thing. And now I am worrying that this is not normal and could be a sign that the baby’s brain is not developing. 
  • @savbak the measurements become less accurate the further along you are. I had 3rd trimester scans due to having covid in early pregnancy. My last 3 scans had his HC at 7th percentile, 20th percentile, and 2nd percentile. My OB was never concerned. As the head gets down into your pelvis it's harder to get a proper measurement. Now that he's born his HC is around the 50th percentile (if I'm remembering correctly). He's totally healthy 😃.
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • Ultrasound are not entirely accurate! It's an estimate, so don't stress. You were made for this! The important thing is your healthy. I'm so glad you can have a beginner birth. Don't let them scare you 😉
  • Thank you for your wisdom ladies!!! About 3 weeks to go now and am feeling positive:)