Baby Names

Alexis/Alexa

So our top name is Alexis! We love it, we’re excited! This weekend, a friend pointed out that it is awfully close to the voice activated home device Alexa, and thought this might be a problem. I don’t have one, or encounter them often, but I know lots of people have them. 

What do you all think? Is this a big deal? I am trying to avoid any annoying incidents around names - (I go by my middle name and it is a big hassle professionally and my younger daughter’s name is apparently harder for people to pronounce than we anticipated) - just not sure how this would work out

Re: Alexis/Alexa

• Alexis is a totally different name for me because it was my friend’s name growing up. But I could see how people would definitely associate the two though. 
  • Alexis is perfectly fine.  Please don't let stupid things like that deter you from a name you love - coming from a mom w/ a daughter named Alexis. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't associate Alexis with the Amazon Alexa, but Schitt's Creek. But to answer your actual question, I wouldn't worry about the name Alexis being confused with Alexa
  • @annie_g I don’t mind the Schitt’s Creek tie in lol! But since posting this have been reading about people who feel really impacted because of the device. Apparently it’s worse if your name actually is Alexa, but since Alexis can wake up the device it can still be problematic… maybe I’ll have to find one and test it out! 
  • @serenejellybean If you're worried about what would happen if you get one, you can always change the word they respond to. Ours answers to "computer" instead of "Alexa" because it's easier for MIL to pronounce.
  • I like Alexis. 
  • Hey! We named our daughter Alexa about 2 months before Amazon released their Alexa. At first I shrugged it off but eventually we did decide to change her name as it got to be frustrating and ridiculous at other peoples’ houses. We changed her name to Lexi and it hasn’t been an issue. Sometimes if I call her Lex at someone’s house who has an Alexa it will respond, so I imagine there would be a similar issue with the name Alexis, but it is different enough that if you chose that name for your daughter I think you’d be fine!!
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I don't have an Alexa and I know they are popular but with the speed of technology I doubt there will still be people ordering their Alexa's around much longer. Maybe a new device will take over or they will just read our minds instead haha
  • m2am2a member
    Alexis is a beautiful name! Don’t let Amazon’s device sway you away from a name you love. All the best!