2nd Trimester
Options

Telling my boss..

Hi everyone! I am wondering if anyone has any experience accepting a new job and telling your boss about your pregnancy, I am seeking advice! Backstory: I work in a school and over the spring I was interviewing for a new position (did not even know I was pregnant at the time). Well, I was offered and accepted the job! I am working for the school for their summer program now, but the full time role does not technically start until the first day of school. I am 15 weeks not and will be about 22 when I officially start. I feel extremely anxious about telling my new boss. I feel like they may be disappointed that I will need to take leave a couple months after starting. Does anyone have any advice on telling a new boss this news? Is it totally inappropriate to break the news over email? (I do not see her much in person due to various locations). Any advice is appreciated, thank you ladies!

Re: Telling my boss..

• Options
    meggymemeggyme member
    edited July 2022
    Approach it as if you were a man, very matter of factly. “I am expecting a baby in *month* and will be out for X weeks/months. I will assist in preparing whatever plans are needed for my absence and I will return in *month*.” As for when, if there’s any chance of them reassigning your full time position I’d wait until you start that. You’ll feel large at 22 weeks but for a first baby will probably still be able to hide it a bit. Technically most companies don’t require notice until 30 days before your leave. When you have that conversation talk about whether they will keep your job for you when you get back. Having just started you likely will not qualify for FMLA.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I'm in the same position. I was offered a government job at the end of April, but with all the background checks and whatnot, I won't be starting until mid-August (signed the official offer letter today!). I've decided that I'll approach my manager on the first day and let them know then. I'll be around 22 weeks by then, so may be noticable anyway 😂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Hello! I'd suggest waiting until you've started your full-time job. My sister once told a company that she was pregnant too soon (after the job offer but before the actual paperwork), and they illegally retracted the offer citing other reasons. Schools should probably be better about following anti-discrimination laws (my college is very careful about those things), but just in case, I'd wait until your job is as secure as possible. 

I think email is fine. I had to notify my dean and department chairs via email because faculty are off contract and not on campus in the summer. I think it's also nice to have it in writing. 

Also, depending on your state, you might qualify for temporary disability even if you don't qualify for FMLA. In California, you qualify for temporary disability for childbirth even if you've only worked for the company for a day. I believe it's usually 6 weeks for vaginal delivery, and 8 weeks for C section. I'm not sure what policies other states have. 

Good luck! I'm sure it will all work out! Employers are used to these sort of things, so don't stress too much 🙂.

• Options
    Yes i had my interview knowing i was 6 weeks pregnant. I waited until my first day 2 weeks later to tell my boss. I would email as soon as possible just so they know you care about maintaning the position. Being transparent can be hard but worth it. Good luck! 
  • Options
    hspghspg member
    I like the advice of the person who said to be matter-of-fact like a man. I also work for the school. This past year was my first year in a new district (I had been tenured in a previous district but left of my own accord for greener pastures) and so I was also nervous about telling my boss that I needed maternity leave in only my second year there. Based on school culture, I decided that it was best to set up a meeting directly with the superintendent. I had emailed him with the subject line "Exciting news to share!" and simply requested a meeting. No other details went into the email but it set the tone that I was excited about something. When I met with him I had my expected leave start and end dates prepared, along with some questions about what they expected from me. The meeting went really well! Remember, being in a school, most people like kids and there is an emphasis on family, so the news should be taken very well. Definitely follow your culture, in my old district I would have NEVER approached the superintendent and would have instead gone first to my supervisor. You're fortunate to be there in the summer because then you'll have a feel for who to go to. Also, if you have a contract, READ IT! I read every inch of our maternity policy to know what I could and couldn't request. In mine it also said that I only needed to give 30 days notice (I told them at only 12 weeks pregnant, I was too excited to not share with other co-workers but wanted to be sure the boss knew first.)
  • Options
    I had this same experience this year! I worked too far from home to make childcare work with a baby, and decided to interview for a job in the school district near my house when I was 12 weeks pregnant! I was offered the position during my interview, and told the principal I’d have to think about it. I called her later and told her that I would love to accept the position, but wanted her to know before I did that I was pregnant and would need to take maternity leave in the winter. She was SO nice about it and told me they all loved babies and it was fine as long as I send pictures for them once the baby is born 😂 

Because there is an extreme sub shortage in my area, I followed up with HR this summer and with my principal to get all of the documentation together that I’ll need for FMLA. This way we’ll be able to request a long term sub pretty much the first week of school. I hope it works out for you! I truly feel like (at least in my experience) working in a school setting is one of the most supportive staff environments for being pregnant- so many of our coworkers are women and have been there before or will be there some day.