February 2023 Moms
Options

antenatal depression

Hi guys, pregnant for the first time (24 years old) and the news was unexpected yet welcome, but I've been plunged into a depression worse than I've ever felt. I have a history of mental health issues and i suspect i have ADHD (undiagnosed as of yet). I've been put onto sertraline but dont have much hope. the depression is taking everything from me daily, I'm not able to see any positive in the future and am pulling away hard from my partner. The guilt I feel is unparalleled and I'm terrified that its going to transition into post partum depression and make me unable to care for my baby properly. Just looking to find anyone who has/ is experiencing anything similar, and any words of wisdom are welcome. Happy to have found a community where I can speak openly about this, without offending anyone.

Re: antenatal depression

• Options
    I struggle with mental health issues as well. I'm 40F who has a 21, 20, 18, and 11 year old and just found out I am expecting another. I was DONE. This was not happy news for myself nor my partner. I have felt myself slipping deeper into depression since I found out the news. I haven't told anyone I'm expecting and have kind of just been pretending it's not happening, like I'm in denial. I suffered with bad PPD after 2 of my kids and it's a similar feeling. Very detached and lacking joy. The good news is I got through that, and I know I will get through this too. The best advice I can give you is be honest with your support system and your doctor. They can refer you to speak with someone or even help with pregnancy safe medication if necessary. I know it's hard because you are robbed of the joy that a new baby is supposed to bring, but you will get through this! Stay strong mama 
  • Options
    My sister had prenatal depression and ppd while pregnant with/caring for twins. It was really rough, but finding the right medication and dosage was the key to her recovery. She also went to therapy once a week, and she said that helped. Around the six month mark postpartum, the fog seemed to clear. (I don’t think she started her meds until just before she gave birth, though, and the first med didn’t work well for her. Second med did the trick.)

Antidepressants take weeks to months to build up enough in your body to reach full efficacy, so getting started now is great. It also might be helpful to know that because hormone levels are so high in pregnancy, it can make you feel the lows of depression more strongly—even people who don’t have depression can feel moody, angry, anxious, sad (last pregnancy I was so sensitive and crying at the drop of a hat), etc. purely from changing hormones. If you’re able to cognitively recognize it that way, it may be easier to separate some of what you’re experiencing from your other experiences of depression, and it may help mitigate some of the guilt you feel.

Keep communicating with your partner, doctor, and anyone else who should be in the loop. Try to figure out what you need from your support system in order to stay afloat and ask for it.

On a personal note, I have generalized anxiety disorder and take medication daily to keep my panic attacks at bay. Mental health struggles in pregnancy are the worst, and I’m sorry you’re struggling.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been feeling similarly and have been on antidepressants in the past. I'm 32 and this is my first as well and even though we were trying, I feel so low. I was so excited before trying and then when I saw the positive test, it was like a ton of bricks. I haven't really wanted to share the news with anyone because I'm so apathetic towards it at the moment and don't want to be bothered by other people's excitement. I'm overwhelmed thinking about the future and what it entails. I have been so physically affected by this pregnancy (never ending nausea, indigestion, insomnia, etc) that I can't imagine then having to care for a child at the end of all this. How have you been feeling physically? I hope well.

I don't really have any words of wisdom as I'm deep in it with you. I have been talking about it with my therapist which is something. I have my 12 week sonogram coming up and am wondering if that will be a positive jolt to my system. Regardless, just know I'm there with you and you are not alone.
  • Options
    hey frenchfry, I'm sorry youre struggling as well:( the feelings of total deattchment are usually something I'm use to and can semi deal with. everyone i talk to about the baby asks me how im feeling about it and even though i am looking forward to having a lil baby, i cant seem to be convincing that im happy... id rather people just didnt ask tbh. physically ive been pretty sick and tired, barely able to leave my bed partly due to sickness and partly due to the depression. ive just been put on sertraline, which isnt making my sickness any easier but im hoping itll help part the clouds a bit (even though SSRIs didnt work for me in the past).
    honestly knowing that someone is experiencing something similar is sad, yet comforting... words of wisdom are not needed in this case. i am trying to get a therapist sorted pronto, but i think this will make this harder before they get easier, as there's a lot of shit from my past that's going to be resurrected. feel free to message me if you want to chat and let me know howre youre getting on x