February 2023 Moms
Options

Sushi Lovers

Anyone else miss sushi? It’s my fav and I ate it at least once weekly. Getting a baked salmon roll today. I’m nauseous and craving food. So weird ! What are your go to cooked rolls?? 

Re: Sushi Lovers

• Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    @pagingdrmom Yes! I miss sushi too! Whenever I needed an emotional pick me up or wanted to celebrate, sushi was the go to. I haven’t eaten sushi since getting pregnant but if I did, I’d probably go for the shrimp tempura roll and spider roll (if you like soft shell crab). I imagine the eel roll is not a bad choice either since I think the eel is cooked and placed over a California roll which also doesn’t have any raw fish. At this point, nothing really seems appetizing to me which is so weird because pre-pregnancy I was a bonafide foodie. 
  • Options
    I miss sushi so much😭😭 I’ve been craving it too, so might have to get a cooked roll
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Vegas roll! I just ask them to cook the salmon in the middle because normally it’s not :) Ive also modified a citrus roll to not have raw fish on top! Love that you can pretty much modify any roll!
  • Options
    codexcodex member
    I’ve been craving sushi so bad! 
    We ended up making sushi at home this week. We did baked salmon rolls for dinner and I made some veggie rolls to take with me for lunch at work to. 
    So good. Not sure if it’s the saltiness or the rice or what but I can’t stop eating it!
  • Options
    This may be cheating since I’m a vegetarian but try veggie sushi? Maybe it’ll help curb your cravings! Sweet potato tempura rolls are my fave.
  • Options
    I’ve been enjoying avocado and cucumber sushi, too! 
  • Options
    justkpjustkp member
    Slightly off topic, sorry, but this is very curious to me and makes me wonder how different guidelines and recommendations for pregnant people are in different countries? Health care authorities in my country (Denmark) don't advise against eating sushi with raw fish from reputable restaurants/restaurants with a good food hygiene rating, as there is no risk of parasites etc. when handled properly, frozen to the right temperatures etc. (Obvs. still advised to stay clear of fish with a high mercury content, e.g. tuna, and you are also advised to stay clear of pre-packaged sushi in supermarkets etc). 

Is it like a hard recommendation in The States to avoid it entirely? I imagine our respective healthcare authorities have access to the same sources of evidence, so I wonder whether one is being overly cautious or the other one is being straight up reckless or if there is some other explanation for the differences...?!  

• Options
    @justkp I’ve wondered this myself many times. I live in California, right on the coast, where the restaurants’ hygiene is held to a very high, graded standard, so I’ve often been tempted to just go for it. I totally understand in areas where fish has had to travel for days to arrive at a place, or perhaps the restaurant cleanliness enforcement isn’t that great,…but here? Not so sure. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Only time I seem to crave sushi is when I'm pregnant. Idk enough about what I'm ordering to know if it's cooked or not to I just avoid it. Must be like wanting Chick-fil-A on a Sunday...
  • Options
    justkpjustkp member
    @cpk3535 It's a tricky one, isn't it? I mean, I can't see our sushi should be better or safer, and I have always known our healthcare authorities to err on the side of caution. But also a hard recommendation against is a hard recommendation against, I suppose? 
  • Options
    nwshaynwshay member
    I recommend reading the book Expecting Better- it made me feel a lot better about eating sushi, and other things like that such as soft cheese. Highly highly recommend.
  • Options
    @justkp it’s just a recommendation! Like eating deli meat and other things. But I think the risk (even if small) outweighs the benefit lol. I can get over not eating it and there are modifications to satisfy my craving. If I lived somewhere where I only had sushi available I’d eat it. 😂. 
  • Options
    @nwshay soft cheese is fine, it’s the unpasteurized soft cheese that are  recommend against. Most commercial store bought cheeses are pasteurized it’s the local cheeses to look out for. 
  • Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    I just want to say that today is a huge milestone for us! Today I am 10 weeks pregnant AND my last day on the progesterone shots!!!! We are celebrating with sushi tonight! (Non raw for me, obviously) But tonight is definitely a sushi worthy night. 😁
  • Options
    nwshaynwshay member
    @pagingdrmom I know. I didn't say you can't eat it. My point is, a lot of people say willy nilly, you can't eat sushi, or you can't eat soft cheeses before they read why, or what ACTUALLY to avoid. The book I'm talking about goes into detail about each thing and why, or why not it is OK, and where the myths (or thruths) come from. Some people think you can't eat soft cheese, butt hats wrong. You can't eat unpasteurized cheese, as you said, which you're likely not going to find in the US unless you're buying straight from a farm. 
  • Options
    @ttc3y congrats ! And enjoy your sushi. I’m having my husband smoke some salmon for us. I’m gonna try to make salmon rolls @ home. We shall see how it turns out 😂😅
  • Options
    ttc3yttc3y member
    @pagingdrmom That sounds delicious! 😋 Bon Appetit! ❤️