3rd Trimester

Concerts / Loud movies dangerous?

Is it safe to go to concerts/ movie theatres even though they are loud during pregnancy? Has anyone done these in previous pregnancies and baby was fine? I also noticed baby used to respond to sounds more and now I feel like baby doesn’t react to music/ loud sounds has anyone else experienced this as well?

Re: Concerts / Loud movies dangerous?

• Baby is well protected in there, concerts are fine. I went to a few while pregnant and aside from the normal selective listening my kids’ hearing is good.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • In general, I'd suggest you look to research and expert advice rather than anecdotal evidence (someone saying "I did X and my baby's fine"). I never rode in a child seat in a car as a kid or wore a helmet on a bike, and I'm fine, but I certainly wouldn't just plop a 2 year old in the passenger seat without a seatbelt and call it good, you know?

One thing to know about noise induced hearing loss is that it's cumulative - you won't see the effects when the baby is born, but it might start popping up when they're teens, and it's not reversible. The CDC recommends pregnant women avoid routine exposure to sound 115dB or higher. Movies are typically 90-100dB, concerts 110-120dB, though of course some may be louder.

Your baby should also get his hearing screened before leaving the hospital after birth, so if he doesn't have typical hearing you'll be able to find out and get intervention very early. I wouldn't worry about it now, though; I work with deaf babies, and I've never had a mom tell me she suspected their child's hearing difference in utero, and I've never seen any information that responses or non-responses to sound in the womb have any predictive information about a child's hearing.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor advised against concerts after baby’s hearing develops. She errs on the side of caution and I feel similarly. I also hunt and she advised against that because of the loudness of shooting. 
  • I’m sure movies are fine. Concerts I guess it depends on what kind. If you’re going to see a rock show with no seating I would just stay towards the back away from speakers. It’s also a safety issue with mosh pits, close contact, etc.
    If it’s a concert outside or one in an arena with seating it’s probably much safer, just try to stay away from speakers etc. ultimately it’s your choice. I was doing dishes at my job up until 39 weeks and that can be very loud too. My sons hearing is good. But I didn’t go to movies/concerts because of Covid. 
  • I went to see Jurassic World recently and my baby girl was not liking all the dinosaur sounds 😂 I have never felt her move that much before, and she startled every time there was a loud sound in the movie. Even if it doesn’t damage their hearing, there may be a possibility that it is jarring to them and they may not like it. I personally will probably stay out of the movie theater now until after I have her.
  • No, it cannot have a bad effect
  • It was deemed by my doctor safe at 26 weeks. Baby rocked out with me at Rammstein. 
  • Yes it’s totally safe. 
  • I went to see Tom Segura (stand up comedian) and with all the laughter it was definitely loud inside the venue but everything was fine - I'm 32 weeks today and this was just a few days ago.  but definitely ask your doctor if you need reassurance. I had a trip planned to fly to FL last weekend and asked like every doctor/nurse I talked to for a month before I finally felt comfortable. then our flight got canceled due to weather anyway 😆