February 2023 Moms

Strange first ultrasound / twins?!

Iโ€™m looking for some (potential) twin pregnancy advice! ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘ถ๐Ÿผ

We had the strangest ultrasound today. There is definitely one baby with a healthy heartbeat (we are SO happy), and the tech thought she saw a second baby with the transvaginal ultrasound. She called in her colleague who investigated for probably 20 minutes. They went back and forth over and over again about whether it was a twin or the umbilical cord. At first they were sure it was a second baby, and then they werenโ€™t. Iโ€™m 8w3d. We have to go back to re-examine in 1-2 weeks when the baby, or babies, are bigger. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is it usual for one to maybe develop slower and be much smaller?

Thanks in advance! ๐Ÿ’•

Re: Strange first ultrasound / twins?!

• @laurosor Not quite the same boat, but weโ€™ve currently got one baby in one gestational sac with a heartbeat and another gestational sac weโ€™re waiting to see if it will develop. If youโ€™re looking at two babies in one gestational sac, that makes sense why it may not be clear what theyโ€™re looking at yet. Checking again in 1-2 weeks should clarify. They definitely can lag behind each other in development. Weโ€™ll be checking on ours again (third ultrasound!) in two weeks to know if the second baby is viable. The waiting game is difficult, isnโ€™t it?!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was extremely sick for a few weeks like scary sick and they had me come in for an ultrasound early and found one baby in a gestational sac and then a second sac with no baby in it and they said it was a vanishing twin I go back in Monday for another ultrasound
  • What happened at that next ultrasound? Did they confirm anything? I had the same exact experience at 8wks, the only difference was we were all seeing 2 gestational sacs for twins (not 2 in the same sac). They debated for a while and did further examination. Finally she concluded with not twins; but still didnโ€™t sound 100% sure. Maybe vanishing twin for me too? I had a vanishing twin that my mom lost at 3m pregnant, also separate gestational sacs. I now finally have another appointment in a few days and the suspense is rough! This will be my third baby.