2nd Trimester
Options

Dental problems.

Hi everyone I am 25 weeks. My tooth recently cracked and I was told I need a crown. All my doctors cleared me but I’m nervous about the procedure and how it will affect the baby. Has anyone had dental work done during pregnancy? What was your experience like? 

Re: Dental problems.

• Options
    Getting dental work done is vital. If that tooth gets infected that can have worse consequences than a fix.  Just take the numbing medicine and ask not to have laughing gas (I have never had laughing gas at the dentist including my wisdom teeth- just numbing meds) its very doable. 
  • Options
    Ignoring the spam post from @markrob7484...

I'm actually in the process of getting two crowns, I just let the dental clinic know I was pregnant and there haven't been any issues. Like @harpseal135 said, it's best to get dental work done to prevent any infections that may develop.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dental hygienist here! Like these ladies said, get the crown done to prevent the risk of infection/issues. Local anesthetic (what’s used to numb you) is considered safe during pregnancy, as well as the procedure for fillings/crowns. Typically doctors will tell you to postpone treatment if it’s not critical to your health, but your teeth are very important. You’d only want to skip elective treatment like getting veneers, whitening, other cosmetic things. Even the dose of radiation you get from dental X-rays is safe for the fetus, though a lot of times people will just decline them for peace of mind (however you definitely should get one if a tooth needs evaluation). 
    I know that was long winded—it’s going to be great. Keep up on bruising and flossing too as pregnancy goes on, as we’re more susceptible to problems while pregnant :smile:
  • Options
    Im worried about dental work too :( don't let people invalidate your feelings,  you're allowed too feel fearful about it even if it's "doable". Good luck!
  • Options
    I’ve had both of my wisdom teeth removed with my current pregnancy they did the first one when i was 6 weeks because it got really infected & it needed to come out the 2nd one i got removed at 13 weeks that one broke & was infected too i was in so much pain i was scared at first but im glad they took them out because the pain was unbearable.