1st Trimester
Options

Clobetasol propionate…harmful?

My doctor gave me clobetasol propionate for some vaginal burning and itching that we couldn’t get to go away. I had been using it once a day for three weeks when I got a positive pregnancy test (6-20). I stopped using it because I wasn’t sure if it was okay to use during pregnancy. Can clobetasol cause miscarriage or defects? I know it’s a pretty high dose steroid. I can’t find any very conclusive answers when I google. I had a miscarriage November 2020 so this would be my rainbow baby and I’ve been worrying about this all week. Anyone have any experience with this?

I’ll be 5 weeks tomorrow.

Re: Clobetasol propionate…harmful?

• Options
    Your doctor is always the best person to call to discuss your personal medical situation. Mother to Baby is also a fantastic resource for what may be unhealthy for baby during pregnancy and breastfeeding. They have a number you can call and they'll go over the research with you about your specific medications. You didn't mention whether your medication is topical or oral, which makes a difference. Here's info on topical corticosteroids: https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets/topical-corticosteroids-pregnancy/
  • Options
    Awesome question for your doctor :) that is always your best resource.