1st Trimester

Pregnancy Weight Gain - What day do you use as your “starting weight”?

I gained almost 4 lbs from the 1st of my last menstrual period to the day I got the positive test (I think it’s probably hormones, water weight, etc.). What day should I use as my “starting weight” when I’m sharing info with my doctor to make sure I gain a healthy amount of weight during my pregnancy? 1st day of LMP or the day I got the positive test? Or something else?

Re: Pregnancy Weight Gain - What day do you use as your “starting weight”?

• My guess is they will probably weigh you at your first appointment and use that number.
  • I don’t think it really matters that much. I typically use whenever I weighted myself last, which this time was a few weeks before. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was asked my weight at my 1st U/S and then weighed at my 1st office visit. Nobody asked what my starting weight was. I wouldn't worry about weight fluctuation of 4 lbs between lmp and positive test. At my 1st appt, I mentioned I was feeling bloated and like I'd gained more than I should have so far because I had to eat constantly or I'd feel sick. My midwife said as long as I get some exercise in when I feel good, eat a balanced diet, and don't go too crazy with treats, not to worry about it and it usually will even out by the end. 
  • Thank you both!