February 2023 Moms

Ultrasound Thread

Re: Ultrasound Thread

• Have my 12/13 week ultrasound on Friday, but was at the midwife today and they used the Doppler. Unfortunately, couldn't hear the baby's heartbeat because they were being a Houdini! Has that happened to anyone else? Not hearing the baby's heartbeat at 12 weeks? Trying not to think too much about it. This is my second pregnancy, first had a positive NIPT and unfortunately didn't make it, this time the NIPT came back negative! One less thing to stress about! 
  • lakemama2020lakemama2020 member
    edited July 2022
    Hey @steff188 my uterus is tilted (backwards instead of forward) and they couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler. They were able to find it on a handheld ultrasound. It was the same way during my pregnancy with my daughter until 16-18 weeks or so. Big hugs! 
  • Loading the player...
  • New here so I hope this takes! I just had my first ultrasound at 12w1d (maybe?) and because I am military and going through the military my tech told me nothing. I am very disheartened by this. I have a 7 and 5 yo and their first US was clear and I heard the heartbeat and the doc told me what we were looking at but not this time. Any military moms out there in the same shoes? I’m very close to getting an off post referral because of the latency of appointments. (I’m going to figure out how to post a picture 🙃)
  • @steff188 with my last pregnancy they were unable to get the heart beat because of various reasons. I freaked out and my OB took me right back for an ultrasound was able to see baby and hear HB no problem. This happened a few times.  I had a previous miscarriage and swear I have PTSD because of it. I have my first US today and I'm freaking out mentally. 
  • It's very unclear but we  had an unexpected baby viewing today when my midwife couldn't hear the heart so she got out her portable ultrasound. We saw her moving all over! This is actually a screenshot of a video.
  • Blurry but I also got to take an amazing video and saw baby punching and kicking like crazy! This was 11w3d… just over a week ago. 
  • cpk3535cpk3535 member
    edited August 2022
    Here’s our 13W2D ultrasound for our boy! Edited- thank you @Paturkey

• @cpk3535 You’ve got a PM :)

• Finally had my NT scan today and everything is looking good. Baby is measuring ahead at 13w1d so they’ve moved up my EDD. Only seven weeks until the anomaly scan- I think time will move faster now 😊

Happy to help @cpk3535 👍🏼
  • My NT scan was today and everything looked good. The pics they got weren’t great but baby was moving and opening and closing its mouth and waving. Still measuring two days behind but still on track. Did the NIPT too. 
  • @angbaby83 my kids always measure a little behind, but I’ve never had any issues so far ❤️ Plus I’m never sure if I completely trust the ultrasound measurements- my first daughter was estimated to be much shorter than she came out and our second daughter was estimated to be almost two pounds heavier than she was born!! 🤷‍♀️ 
  • @angbaby83 it’s pretty typical for the baby to not measure *exactly* the same date, especially once you’re out of the earlyish first trimester. Baby starts to grow at its own rate and as long as the growth is consistent and symmetrical, it’s good! 
  • Hubby and I got to see our bebe for the first time today! 14 weeks and 1 day but the tech said I'm measuring 14 weeks and 6 days, so I'm not sure what that means. She also thinks it's a boy! How accurate is a 14 week scan? I'm just curious as this is my first!
  • Our Widdle Wobbler 😊 She/He did not stay still for anything! 
  • I had my first ultrasound at 12wks. Although it was a wait, I'm glad it was at the 12 wk mark because baby looked like a human at least haha. Next ultrasound is a week from tomorrow and I'll be 20 wks then. I noticed many of you have several ultrasounds. For a health pregnancy with no complications should I only expect 2 ultrasounds?
  • @kpmini I think that's standard in the hospital setting but it varies because of other reasons. :)
  • @kpmini that’s what we were told to expect, too, but it hasn’t quite worked out to be just 2 for us. We had a dating US at 7 weeks, an unexpected one at 12 weeks when he hid from the Doppler and the midwife couldn’t find his heartbeat, and just had the anatomy scan to check everything. If you are higher risk for whatever reason, or if your baby also hides from the Doppler, you could end up having more, either kind of unofficial like our second or a later one to look for growth restriction (my weight just barely edged me into having a 3rd “official” ultrasound offered at 32 weeks to monitor growth).
  • @kpmini That is what it would have been for us but my midwife let me do an extra because of our missed miscarriage. 
  • @kpmini that sounds about right! this is my first pregnancy and I'm considered low risk. I had an 8 week scan, I measured 10 days behind my LMP so they brought me back for a dating confirmation a week later. My next scan was at 11 weeks. At 16 weeks I went in, no scan but they did use a doppler to find the heartbeat. My anatomy scan is this week at 9w4d and my doctor said this will likely be my last u/s. I'll probably do one of those sweet peak 3d ultrasounds for fun around 32 weeks. 
  • @karbaud my midwife said a lot of times people feel the first kicks during the ultrasounds because you can recognize for sure what the feeling is, so that totally makes sense.
  • I hope this is the correct place to post this. Has anyone gone to their 20w ultrasound then had to get a follow up ultrasound with a MFM dr to check the heart? The concern seems to be mitral regurgitation? 

I’ve done some research but was hoping maybe someone would have experience. I’m not sure when the appointment is because we got our US and results yesterday so the MFM should get me in sometime this week. 
    Otherwise, everything came back great on the 20w ultrasound and he was active. 
  • @itsjess627 I haven’t personally experienced this, but I’m going to follow along with your story! I’m glad to hear that everything else went well ❤️❤️❤️
  • @itsjess627 Like CPK I haven't experienced this but I hope that everything goes well at your follow up. Please keep us posted <3
  • Thank you both. Waiting is the worst. Hopefully I’ll find out today if I can get an appt this week…the area the appointment is going to be in is in the hurricane zone for mid/end of week. 😖
  • Haven't been on here in a while, just had my 20wk ultrasound at 20w6d. Everything looking good and progressing on track! Baby needed to flip so she could get the heart info and luckily going pee helped with that and seems that everything is going well.

Here's the ultrasound and his/her wee little feet!

• @kpmini typically I think you only have 2 ultrasounds (Canada) but I asked for an 8-week dating oneneven though my family doctor said it was not necessary due to my regular cycle, but if your cycle is irregular they will recommend the 8-week ultrasound.

I had my 20wk today and she said this is it for routine ultrasounds unless the midwife/doctor wants anymore.

I was able to get the images from my 20w ultrasound on a USB as a keepsake so that was great.
  • @itsjess627 praying for you and your little one and hoping for the best outcome! I'm so sorry you can't have a homebirth this time around. 💔